OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 11:42 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
What is their rating, what brand and model do they use, what is their style ?

Pushblocker 2197 uses GD National Talon, close to table pushblocker, not much 4H offense, good spinny serves.

Anybody higher using GD Talon ?

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 12:30 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Jian Li is a 2700-level OX chopper.. he plays with C&F.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 13:11 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:

That is DHS Cloud & Fog 3

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 13:44 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
LOOPOVER wrote:
notfound123 wrote:

That is DHS Cloud & Fog 3

Yep, look him up, he's all over youtube

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017, 21:46 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Strongest LP blocker with OX (I believe he plays OX but I'm not 100% sure) is Zhi-Ming Li out of Michigan.. He is in the 2300's.. Right handed penhold player who serves with inverted and then twiddles to long pips and blocks and pushes everything.. He hardly ever attacks.. Right now, no player of similar style comes close to his rating.. As far as I know for non attacking pushblockers, I'm the 2nd highest rated one playing OX. There is one player who does not seem to be active as he has not played a tournament in almost 2 years.. It's Sakda Timsuwan.. He is in the 2200's but he is more of a looper who mixes in long pips blocks.
Most of the ox long pips players have dropped significantly in rating. Robert Shahnazari has dropped to the upper 2000's/low 2100's, John Mark Wetzler has dropped to mid 2100's and Shuja Jafar (my occasional doubles partner) has changed style (he is a chopper now instead of a blocker/hitter) and dropped to about 2180 or so but he still uses OX on his backhand..
All those players used to be over 2300 with the celluloid ball and all of them have dropped like a rock since the plastic ball..
Based on my knowledge, there is only one ACTIVE player over 2200 with OX long pips in the US.. I may be wrong but I can't think of anybody who remained over 2200..

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 00:46 
Super User

De-rong Chih, female, now 2486, high 2503,

BH Globe 979 OX , blocker puncher

https://youtu.be/j_2vf_P-raE

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 00:54 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

LOOPOVER wrote:
De-rong Chih, female, now 2486, high 2503,

BH Globe 979 OX , blocker puncher

https://youtu.be/j_2vf_P-raE

She hasn't played a tournament in almost a year and a half... Not sure if she is still active.. Not a current USATT member... Her membership expired August 2016..

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 01:04 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
notfound123 wrote:

IMO he's an absolute joy to watch, not the most emotional player but I thoroughly enjoy his game.

I had the opportunity to chat and hit with him briefly at the US Open, we hit for 15-20 minutes. His English isn't the best, but he gave me some pointers after he learned that I had only been using LP on my back hand for 2 months. Was a huge highlight of the trip for me.

Jian was using a Matsushita Pro blade with Cloud and Fog 3 OX on his backhand, and DHS H3 Prov on his forehand, looked like max or 2.1mm sponge.

Not so sure how well he performed at the US Open as of November, his USATT Rating was 2677. I could be off base with this statement; but I believe he is the highest ranked Attacking Chopper (?) using OX in the country.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 01:10 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Riot207 wrote:
notfound123 wrote:

IMO he's an absolute joy to watch, not the most emotional player but I thoroughly enjoy his game.

I had the opportunity to chat and hit with him briefly at the US Open, we hit for 15-20 minutes. His English isn't the best, but he gave me some pointers after he learned that I had only been using LP on my back hand for 2 months. Was a huge highlight of the trip for me.

Jian was using a Matsushita Pro blade with Cloud and Fog 3 OX on his backhand, and DHS H3 Prov on his forehand, looked like max or 2.1mm sponge.

Not so sure how well he performed at the US Open as of November, his USATT Rating was 2677. I could be off base with this statement; but I believe he is the highest ranked Attacking Chopper (?) using OX in the country.

Don't keep us (me) hanging - spill it!

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 01:14 
Super User

Jiangshan Guo, now active 2465 , high 2505
she has beat 2600+ Kai Zhang
4H short pips
BH long pips OX , blocker , don't know brand

https://www.ustream.tv/recorded/110843243

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 04:32 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

LOOPOVER wrote:
4H short pips

I watched some of her matches.. She plays more a short pips style than a long pips style.. It may be long pips ox but that's more of a hitting/attacking game than blocking.. She hits a lot more than she blocks with the pips..
I watched the entire match against Ge Chi at the US Open.. Pretty impressive game.. The ball does not sound like OX, more like 0.5 or so when she hits with the pips but I may be wrong

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 04:53 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Pushblocker wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
4H short pips

I watched some of her matches.. She plays more a short pips style than a long pips style.. It may be long pips ox but that's more of a hitting/attacking game than blocking.. She hits a lot more than she blocks with the pips..
I watched the entire match against Ge Chi at the US Open.. Pretty impressive game.. The ball does not sound like OX, more like 0.5 or so when she hits with the pips but I may be wrong

OP's question was about OX, style be damned, so she qualifies (and so would a Hardbat player, but then OP posted in Long Pips section, so not sure...) :).

If we were to expand USA definition to Canada (yeah, I know...), then it will also give us Sun Jian Fei to consider, although he definitely been away from tournaments lately.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12740

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 05:03 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

pgpg wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
4H short pips

OP's question was about OX, style be damned, so she qualifies (and so would a Hardbat player, but then OP posted in Long Pips section, so not sure...) :).

If we were to expand USA definition to Canada (yeah, I know...), then it will also give us Sun Jian Fei to consider, although he definitely been away from tournaments lately.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12740

I'm not convinced that it's ox.. Some of the hits that she does with it would be very difficult to accomplish without sponge but again, I may be wrong.. I send a message to a long pips using friend who follows lots of long pips players. He was at the US Open and I asked him if he knows her and if she knows what she is using.. Would be interesting to know..

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 05:21 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Pushblocker wrote:
I'm not convinced that it's ox.. Some of the hits that she does with it would be very difficult to accomplish without sponge but again, I may be wrong.. I send a message to a long pips using friend who follows lots of long pips players. He was at the US Open and I asked him if he knows her and if she knows what she is using.. Would be interesting to know..

Right, of course, this makes sense. Interestingly enough, IIRC there was a 2-page discussion in Jian Li's thread at some point on whether he uses OX or not (he does), based purely on sound, ball trajectory, shots he makes etc., so it's not a trivial task to figure out purely from video. I suspect blade is also important for some of these factors, especially sound.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017, 05:48 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

pgpg wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

Right, of course, this makes sense. Interestingly enough, IIRC there was a 2-page discussion in Jian Li's thread at some point on whether he uses OX or not (he does), based purely on sound, ball trajectory, shots he makes etc., so it's not a trivial task to figure out purely from video. I suspect blade is also important for some of these factors, especially sound.

Like I said.. I have no idea if it is ox or not. In the big picture, it is really irrelevant. Awesome skills no matter if it is OX or sponged..