OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 02:07 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Japsican wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
Dude...this reply :up: thank you so much. It seems I may have made a mistake buying the Dtecs as I have no plan to block at the table unless I have to....but i haven't tried them yet so hopefully I can get on with them, although they are in OX so probably not. If it does turn out terrible for chopping for me then I could always keep them to use against certain players who don't give strong fast loops that made me drop back, hmmm.
How would you compare these 3 pips to FL3? if they all had around 1mm sponge?

I'll just stick with my Stiga ALL classic for now then and if ever will probably get the VKM

My pleasure.

Let me further qualify my response by saying, anything can be used to chop with and anything can be used to chop block with. But yes, IMO yes, Dtecs in OX is not optimal for a chopping-only game. There are however, several high level players that use Dtecs...but only with sponge (and even some pros Joo used to use them, Ma Te uses them).

FL3 is the grippiest and slowest of all chopping pips, with the exception of maybe TSP P-4. I think it's grippier than P-4, but some disagree. Either way, they are close.

If you struggle with pace, they will seem more controlled. If you struggle with spin, they will seem too grippy. I really LOVED them vs. players who flat hit or do not add spin, I hated FL3 against very spinny loopers, especially who have lower pace pulling you toward the table. There are techniques and answers for all of these things, but I wasn't willing to deal with them....haha. :P

There is nothing wrong with the Stiga All Classic and if you don't do much chopping on the forehand it's totally viable. There is an OX chopper in Sweden that Def-Attack (A member here) plays against occasionally, who uses RITC 755 in OX with that blade. Maybe I can find a video of him too...I know he has one.

again...great and very detailed reply, thank you.
It's a shame I didn't get a sponge on the Dtecs, never mind, maybe after a while I will look into it sooner rather than later as it seems sponge is more optimal for what I would be looking to play.

I am not a beginner but I am beginning, you are definitely right there will be quite a few people who will force me into the table due to their skill lvl so perhaps the OX will be good for now.
I am gonna be Def-Attack so the Stiga ALL should be good for a while.
Again thanks so much for the replies my man :up:

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 08:55 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Ndragon wrote:
Hey guys, first of all Hello :) I am new here although I have searched a fair bit on google and often referred to this website. Also was recommended to come here for information on long pips.
I have just today decided to commit to using long pips for a chopping orientated BH. I have been fighting it ever since the coach at my club told me to change styles 6months into TT. This was my natural style from the beginning but I was young and just listened to the coach. But I stopped playing for years and now I'm older and YouTube has got me too hyped up so I have officially committed and I am glad I did as I have never felt so natural again to play a BH and get super pumped every time I have to use my BH.

Anyway sorry for the long story and introduction....to the point now lol

Sorry if some of this has been covered before but some of my questions are a bit specific and haven't found info on some of them yet.

1. First off I just want to understand with the Victas blades VKM and VKMO, how fast or bouncy are these both compared to the Stiga ALL classic and Clipper?
2. Clipper with long pips? Anyone tried or plays or know anyone that plays with it? Wondering how it is and if it can work well.
3. I am using Dawei 388D but have Dtecs on the way (any advice/tips/experiences with these would be much appreciated). Also shedding some light on Curl PR1.
4. Is it gonna make a big difference if I was to get one of those 2 Victas blades (more so asking about VKMO as I look to be active on FH) to justify getting it sooner rather than later (or perhaps not at all)?
5. I am playing OX as I read (I believe on here) to start with OX to ease yourself into it before getting sponge, does this still stand? and if so at what point do you look to get sponge?

If you want to see me in action can check my youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/ndragon88 I just posted a little FH action and I also have a couple of older videos before I stopped playing (they are one of the first uploads if you want to scroll down).

By the way, I saw your videos and you're really good!

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 18:35 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Danthespearton HQ wrote:
By the way, I saw your videos and you're really good!

Thanks :Chop: I was alright before, I could compete with the local premier division and take on some top 300 UK men's, could often get sets but never quite win against anyone in top 100 though. I played for 3 years back then. But stopped for 5 years before coming back now.

But I am aspiring to be better than that now hehe but more importantly having more fun and playing a game more natural to me while at the same time feeling pumped every time.

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 04:56 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
Japsican wrote:
Here is Gustaf Ericson chopping with Dornenglanz OX on a Clipper. He has great touch and a very offensive game. There are plenty of videos of him on youtube btw.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I love how eager he is to punish high pushes to his backhand in that first set. Has to be one of the most satisfying shots a chopper can make!

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 14:55 

I'd been playing with a Clipper and some HRT Clipper clones for the past 6 months (up until recently). I noticed no difference in how the clones played compared to the Stiga. Had them set up with DG ox (on the Stiga), and P1-r 0.5, Air Up ox, and Twister ox. Found I did best with the Twister and P1-r. The Clipper is a faster blade than I'd previously been playing with (Andro Fibercomp, and Nittaku Monophonic, both slower 7-ply defensive blades). I wanted to develop into using the Clipper as its fun to hit much faster shots than I could with my previous set ups. But... I prefer winning to hitting fast shots. So I dropped back to the slower Fibercomp (tried an even slower blade for a couple weeks, the Tibhar Defense Plus, but it was too slow for my style to win points, although it kept the ball on the table more).
I have a VKM that I tried with various rubber combinations, but lacked the control that I wanted.
Playing against players below your level, faster gear is fun and the accuracy is there. Not so much with better, faster players. I've got a defenders mindset, taking most everything with the pips, but when I get balls to my forehand, I attack (no forehand defense).

USATT- 1832

Last edited by Punchblocker on 06 Feb 2018, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 16:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Fabian Åkerström in Sweden uses Clipper (at least he did for quite some time) with Dornenglanz ox. Gustaf Ericsson uses Stiga Allround Carbon (or he might have changed to Clipper). There are many different Clippers. The original is clearly slower than the latest ones. And it is a fantastic blade for looping and so, great feeling. It is still an off or off- blade, not one I would recommend for a chopper.

VKM is a fantastic chopping blade, works great with both FLII and Dawei 388D. I used it for a year or two. But a little too soft for me, difficult to block and loop against top spin. I think VKMO would be better (I have never tried it) or perhaps a Joo Se Hyuk. The latter one is hard, almost like Clipper, but dampens the speed when chopping or playing at low impact.

But Stiga Allround Classic is not a bad blade for this either, nice softness and feeling, but a little too fast on low impact for generating lots of spin on chops I think.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 05:59 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
IMO Stiga Classic is too thin for ox play.
I switched to play medium hard Andro Fibercomp Def because I discovered that hard feeling blades are too hard against the new harder feeling ball.