OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 08:51


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 06:45 
Offline
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 23:08
Posts: 2280
Location: Lakeland/Florida/USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Just received my Giant Dragon Kris II blade.. Saw that blade on the US distributor's website and it sounds like something that I might like with a slow side which should be great for long pips and a fast side for the inverted rubber.. I will glue up my standard rubbers (Friendship 729 SST Cross and Dragon Talon OX) and will give it a try this week.. I will report back how I like it..

Has anyone here with a combination racket tried that blade before? How were your impressions?

_________________
2010 Florida State Champion
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus with DHS G888 1.8 mm and Giant Dragon Dragon Talon OX National Team


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 22:49 
Offline
Incredible Shrinking Man
User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2010, 15:46
Posts: 628
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 17 times
Yes, Talon works ok on that blade.
Right now I have Curl [email protected] 0x Red
on that blade. Works nice too.

Happy to hear about your experience
with your combo.

Cheers
Geddk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 02:13 
Offline
Horse Hockey!
User avatar

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 03:25
Posts: 978
Location: North Carolina, USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 30 times
I've been using a GD Kris Special for over a year and it's the "medium" version. (Kris II faster, and plain Kris much slower.) There is definitely a difference between sides...I'd say OFF on the fh and ALL+ on bh. It is a fragile blade because one side is pure balsa without any harder plies to protect it. I'd recommend a HEAVY application of super glue or epoxy all around the edges and also some edge tape.

However, the Kris Special can really put some pop on the ball! So I use Hammond Pro Beta which mates perfectly with this blade and any ox LP on the bh. I used Talon for the bh for over a year and was runner-up at the North Carolina Senior Games with the HPB/Talon/Kris Special combo. Now I'm a hopeless EJ so I just had to try the Spinlord Dornenglanz when it came out. The Dornenglanz is about 10% slower than the Talon (at least it is on the Kris Special). SD is a beautiful rubber and easier to chop with than the Talon. For the fh I'd recommend only a medium-fast rubber to tame it down some. I tried a sheet of Rakza 7 recently and even though that's not considered to be a screamingly fast rubber, the Rakza 7's hard sponge turned the Kris Special into just a blade-shaped piece of plywood. :lol:

I have two Kris Specials...one with Dornenglanz and the other with DTecs. The DTecs, for me on the Kris Special, along with the Hammond Pro Beta is the best LP setup I've been able to find. The Kris II is just a bit too fast for me while the Kris Special is just right.

But now, despite finding a great combo, I'm trying to get away from passive play. My opponents know I can't do much damage from the bh side so are always pressuring me there. My skill level is far below yours so I just don't have the experience and/or technique to develop a strong attack with any LP. The DTecs are proving to be the best for that but my success at attacking is still low-percentage. For that reason I'm trying out short pips on the bh on a different blade (Yinhe W6). I tried the short pips on the Kris Special, but the balsa plies on the bh don't seem to match well with the short pips and the ball seems to just go wherever it wants to go no matter how much body-English I apply or how loud I scream at the ball to hit the table. These Kris blades seem to excel at pure blocking or attacking with a punch-shot. I suppose due to the balsa construction they are annoying loud and a bit "bouncy" but they are very linear and respond well to the short game.

I'm experimenting with a completely different setup now so I may part company with the Kris Special (I have two). If you'd like to try one out to compare to your Kris II, just PM me and I'll give you a good deal.

 

_________________
Giant Dragon Kris Special : RITC 802 w/Dawei 2.2 35d fh : : Donic Blue Fire M3 2.0 black bh
Member of Charlotte Table Tennis Club, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Visit Charlotte Table Tennis Club on Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 08:59 
Offline
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 23:08
Posts: 2280
Location: Lakeland/Florida/USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Thanks for the input!! Can't wait to try it.. The only thing that I'm a little concerned over is the fact that the head size is fairly small.. The Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a little oversize which I like...I do like the GD Balsa Power a lot which currently is my 2nd most favorite blade after the Firewall Plus as it plays very similar for half the price..just with a smaller head.

_________________
2010 Florida State Champion
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus with DHS G888 1.8 mm and Giant Dragon Dragon Talon OX National Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 09:29 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:16
Posts: 1400
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 62 times
Pushblocker wrote:
Thanks for the input!! Can't wait to try it.. The only thing that I'm a little concerned over is the fact that the head size is fairly small.. The Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a little oversize which I like...I do like the GD Balsa Power a lot which currently is my 2nd most favorite blade after the Firewall Plus as it plays very similar for half the price..just with a smaller head.


PB, I have one... The Kris II is too fast for me and doesn't have the nice feel of Firewall+ for blocking. The worst part is the small head of Kris II... I could live with its faster speed but the small head size really kills it for me, as it made the sweet spot smaller for critical blocking.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 12:20 
Offline
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 23:08
Posts: 2280
Location: Lakeland/Florida/USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
roundrobin wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
Thanks for the input!! Can't wait to try it.. The only thing that I'm a little concerned over is the fact that the head size is fairly small.. The Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a little oversize which I like...I do like the GD Balsa Power a lot which currently is my 2nd most favorite blade after the Firewall Plus as it plays very similar for half the price..just with a smaller head.


PB, I have one... The Kris II is too fast for me and doesn't have the nice feel of Firewall+ for blocking. The worst part is the small head of Kris II... I could live with its faster speed but the small head size really kills it for me, as it made the sweet spot smaller for critical blocking.

Thanks.. The smaller sweet spot is a concern for me too.. I'll try it.. Luckily, it's not a expensive blade, so if I don't like it, I'm not wasting too much money...

I see you next week.. Planning on being at LATTA on Thursday 6/30 after about 6 PM

_________________
2010 Florida State Champion
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus with DHS G888 1.8 mm and Giant Dragon Dragon Talon OX National Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 13:44 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:16
Posts: 1400
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 62 times
Pushblocker wrote:

I see you next week.. Planning on being at LATTA on Thursday 6/30 after about 6 PM


Great! Save your stomach for some lobsters and abalone later! (Or a hearty steak!) ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 22:24 
Offline
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 23:08
Posts: 2280
Location: Lakeland/Florida/USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
roundrobin wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

I see you next week.. Planning on being at LATTA on Thursday 6/30 after about 6 PM


Great! Save your stomach for some lobsters and abalone later! (Or a hearty steak!) ;)


I rather have steak than lobster as I don't eat seafood...

_________________
2010 Florida State Champion
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus with DHS G888 1.8 mm and Giant Dragon Dragon Talon OX National Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 11:23 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2010, 17:50
Posts: 284
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Pushblocker wrote:
I rather have steak than lobster as I don't eat seafood...


You live in Florida and don't eat seafood!!? Uh! I live in AZ and been griping there isn't any good seafood restaurants here...

sorry, off topic...

_________________
The Dark Side: "Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 12:44 
Offline
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 23:08
Posts: 2280
Location: Lakeland/Florida/USA
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
fazer227 wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
I rather have steak than lobster as I don't eat seafood...


You live in Florida and don't eat seafood!!? Uh! I live in AZ and been griping there isn't any good seafood restaurants here...

sorry, off topic...

Never liked fish.. I actually like the taste of shrimp or lobster but can't get over the looks.. they look like huge insects :lol:

_________________
2010 Florida State Champion
Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus with DHS G888 1.8 mm and Giant Dragon Dragon Talon OX National Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 14:15 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6565
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 791 times
Pushblocker wrote:
fazer227 wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
I rather have steak than lobster as I don't eat seafood...


You live in Florida and don't eat seafood!!? Uh! I live in AZ and been griping there isn't any good seafood restaurants here...

sorry, off topic...

Never liked fish.. I actually like the taste of shrimp or lobster but can't get over the looks.. they look like huge insects :lol:


They are. Sort of.. ;)

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 04:08 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2013, 11:04
Posts: 744
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
hi,

any new info about kris ii blade?

i am in doubt to order one or the kris special...

_________________
My TT blog
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 04:42 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 12 Nov 2013, 12:06
Posts: 27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Lack of control. Backhand too soft. Forehand lacks touch. You get what you pay for!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 10:45 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2010, 17:50
Posts: 284
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 13 times
JamesD wrote:
Lack of control. Backhand too soft. Forehand lacks touch. You get what you pay for!


Dang it! I just ordered one yesterday!!

_________________
The Dark Side: "Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 11:17 
Offline
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 31881
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 1610 times
Been thanked: 1089 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
fazer227 wrote:
JamesD wrote:
Lack of control. Backhand too soft. Forehand lacks touch. You get what you pay for!


Dang it! I just ordered one yesterday!!

This may be true for one, while another loves it... it's so dependent on your style of play, that I would not rule it out yet. I know a few people here that use it and love it.

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next




All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: