OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: LP in the cold!!!!
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 02:06 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

All year around i can play in temps from 8*C (INDOORS) TO 40*C (INDOORS AND OUT)!!

My problem is that as in recently, the temps have been 8-15*C in various venues, heating is crap or non existent!

LP's have become really stiff and less malleable, pliable etc and have significantly less or no effect at all on spin manipulation or reversal from chop blocks, it's almost a waste of time playing as virtually no shot is reliable, unless technically on occasion a perfectly executed stroke comes off, nothing works in the short game, i get fairly peeved off playing in these conditions, does anyone else suffer similarly??? If so how do you manage it??

What can i do to overcome it? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Robot Blocker on 14 Feb 2018, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: LP in the cold!!!!
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 12:05 
Super User

how about turning up the heat in the car and let your paddle heat up before entering the gym? You can always go back to your car between matches.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 14:51 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I know one LP player who would stick his bat in the waistband of his shorts handle down, long pimples towards his body in between matches in that situation. Mind you that may not have been as cold as you are describing. He also used the electric hand dryer in the toilet to some extent, but not to the extent that the rubber melted or anything.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 22:43 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Retriever wrote:
I know one LP player who would stick his bat in the waistband of his shorts handle down, long pimples towards his body in between matches in that situation. Mind you that may not have been as cold as you are describing. He also used the electric hand dryer in the toilet to some extent, but not to the extent that the rubber melted or anything.

I had to lol at the hair dryer, problem is it cools down too quickly and is then unreliable in the cooling stages, tried putting it under my arm also - no good, under a hot water bottle before game start, ok for a few points, but at turnaround, blades stay ontable!!, but as we all know, much of our game is in our head with confidence and we don't do well with anxiety or in certainty!

I checked with ITTF between 13 -17*C for covered structures such as ours - wtf, are they real, 13*C - it's meant to be a game played in skimpy shorts and tee shirts!!

I begin to despair and wonder if it is worth carrying on in such circumstances, i play to compete, do my best, not necessarily Win every time, but to do myself, my training, my team , justice in my abilities!!!

I also don't move too well in the cold, without a proper warm up too, so, everything conspires against playing well in such times!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 23:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe get a small version of those padded boxes pizza delivery people use, and put some sort of heating pack in there, like the ones you heat up in a microwave. Use two rackets, one stays in the box while you use the other one.

I can't imagine playing where it's 40 degrees, though.. I'd worry about heatstroke!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 01:20 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Body heat. Put the paddle against your skin between matches.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 04:09 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Japsican wrote:
Body heat. Put the paddle against your skin between matches.

Thanks, as i said above, doesn't last, get's cold again V quickly!!!

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 04:15 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

iskandar taib wrote:
Maybe get a small version of those padded boxes pizza delivery people use, and put some sort of heating pack in there, like the ones you heat up in a microwave. Use two rackets, one stays in the box while you use the other one.

I can't imagine playing where it's 40 degrees, though.. I'd worry about heatstroke!

Iskandar

Novel idea, hehe :lol: :lol: , but,
Thanks, as i said above, doesn't last, get's cold again V quickly!!! Hot water bottle comes closest, but i'd worry about damage to the wood, in fact when i tried it once the effect was good initially, but wore off quickly, but the sound of the wood was strange, as though hollow, i'd worry about glue separation or warping quickly over time!!

Post subject: LP in the cold!!!!
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 06:48 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
As with inverted rubbers the rubber composition can vary between LP’s. Do some react less to temperature than others? I don’t live in a cold enough climate to know. LP’s also vary widely in their softness and flexibility. Perhaps in winter you could use an LP with slightly softer pimples than you would normally use. Have you experimented much with different LP's?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 11:06 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

+I was worried, i played in a former small garage, still air, sun coming through the wide opening, one of those days when it is 36*C outside, it was like a microwave inside, i've never played anywhere so hot before, i actually thought my head was going to explode, after an hour, we moved on to another venue where it was only like an oven!!

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 11:12 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Dusty054 wrote:
As with inverted rubbers the rubber composition can vary between LP’s. Do some react less to temperature than others? I don’t live in a cold enough climate to know. LP’s also vary widely in their softness and flexibility. Perhaps in winter you could use an LP with slightly softer pimples than you would normally use. Have you experimented much with different LP's?

I'M not sure, but i had the problem with Talon, for years, it's been really cold this winter and same with C.Circles, which is slightly softer imho, i've got Meteorite too, it's slightly stiffer than those other 2, but i notice they do a soft version, i wonder how soft though???

I think i will have to try a small sponged version, 0.5mm, of what i have in these conditions see if that helps, unless anybody can suggest a softer pip than those 2 LPs i already use??

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 13:01 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I while back I bought some sheets of Yinhe Qing. I had read that it is one of the softest Chinese LP's. I haven't used it yet but can confirm that it feels very soft. Of the LP's that I am using I would say that Neubauer No.1 is the softest. Would be more expensive to experiment with Neubauer pimples though.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2018, 13:55 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Dusty054 wrote:
I while back I bought some sheets of Yinhe Qing. I had read that it is one of the softest Chinese LP's. I haven't used it yet but can confirm that it feels very soft. Of the LP's that I am using I would say that Neubauer No.1 is the softest. Would be more expensive to experiment with Neubauer pimples though.

I'll try that Qing, thanks Dusty!!!!

I'll review the NO.1 too, and get some sponges to try, we'll see!!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 01:43 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar
Afternoon in Jakarta can approach 40 deg Celcius. :)

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 02:14 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Dusty054 wrote:

Which version of Qing did you get, cos i see there are 2, both supplied with sponge!!!!????

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!