OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 02:08 
Super User

Hi guys,
Now summer has arrived and the league season has ended here, I'm looking to really choose my long pimples and practice!
I can't settle, still. I'm still using the JSH blade which I will continue to do, as I like to attack and fish on my forehand.
I'm a modern defender, as many of you know from my blog. I go back and chop the ball.
This season I've changed between P1r 1mm, FL2 0.5mm and FL3 1.1mm. I cannot decide which is best! I seem to beat different players using the different rubbers.
I have found that with the FL3 I am definitely more consistent and get A LOT more balls back and I have done well outlasting my opponents, but I'm told I'm not getting much spin from the rubber and my chops are more 'floaty', but I've won many games by getting so many balls back with it. I've had a few players say they struggle more against the 'floaty' nature rather than the backspin on chops.
FL2 I found I was fairly consistent and won many matches also and my chops were quite spinny. But that was with slightly less sponge than the FL3.
With P1R in 1mm sponge I'm a lot less consistent, I don't get anywhere near as many balls on the table and I struggle with the short game. When I do get a good shot with it the opponent does struggle with it. But opponents almost seem to find it easier playing against the backspin than against a 'floaty' ball. My opponents seem to have an easier time against me when I use P1R as I don't get as many balls back, my returns are weaker (high/short on the table) but the P1R does produce more spin on the chop against topspin. However I'm not doing as well with it as I'm no where near as consistent.

I am just at a loss at to what to use. I'm pretty certain for my game that a 1mm ish sponge is right, anyone think otherwise?

So my question is, with around a 1mm sponge, how does the FL2 compare to the P1R all round? And can anyone help me with what rubber I should use? I need to find one and practice over the summer ready for next season!

Thanks!

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 23:19 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
Your question can not be answered by anyone but yourself, at least not seriously. After all, all the choices you named will do nicely and there are lots of pros using any of them successfully. And they are not so different anyway. It's a little bit like asking "is Sriver better for me than Mark V".

You already know the basic differences between the rubbers. You will always loose to opponents with the feeling, that with another rubber or blade you would not have lost against. Resist the urge to change your equipment based on these feelings, because this is the work of the little EJ-devil in all of us. My advice: analyse your results (by point count!) and determine, with which rubber you are more efficient. Then put this one on your blade and stick to it. Work on the issues you have with it by practicing, not by glueing.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 01:07 
Super User

0x556c69 wrote:
Your question can not be answered by anyone but yourself, at least not seriously. After all, all the choices you named will do nicely and there are lots of pros using any of them successfully. And they are not so different anyway. It's a little bit like asking "is Sriver better for me than Mark V".

You already know the basic differences between the rubbers. You will always loose to opponents with the feeling, that with another rubber or blade you would not have lost against. Resist the urge to change your equipment based on these feelings, because this is the work of the little EJ-devil in all of us. My advice: analyse your results (by point count!) and determine, with which rubber you are more efficient. Then put this one on your blade and stick to it. Work on the issues you have with it by practicing, not by glueing.

I completely agree with you. I just get the bug so easily and never know if I'm using the right rubber for my game!

I've settled on using 1mm sponge, can't say exactly why but it's what I used when I was a junior. I don't think sponge thickness makes that much difference anyway and I quite like the feel of the sponge over blade, which I get with a thinner sponge. Plus most of the pros use 1mm sponge or more.

I have analysed my results for the season, and what rubber I was using at the time. I seem to have had better results with the FL3 and P1R over the FL2. I thought about trying a thicker sponged FL2 as I only used 0.5. But I don't think it would be worth it.

I definitely get more balls back with the FL3 but I just wish my chops were spinnier!! Rather than floaty!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 05:47 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
I think everyone has it right, pick one and stick with it.

What I remember was that P1R generated the easiest spin, but was more difficult to find the grove with.

FL2, doesn't give you the heavy first ball when chopping, more like it allows you to build spin with successive chops against loops.

FL3, I never used this extensively, but one of our better defenders does. If you aren't getting the spin you would like I would suggest maybe looking at your stroke. Experiment a little with racket angle, the touch at contact, and your stroke speed, and see if you can't get more consistent producing spin with this one. It should allow spin near what you can get with P1R.

Good luck beating the EJ virus. :rofl:

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 08:20 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
1dennistt wrote:
I think everyone has it right, pick one and stick with it.

What I remember was that P1R generated the easiest spin, but was more difficult to find the grove with.

FL2, doesn't give you the heavy first ball when chopping, more like it allows you to build spin with successive chops against loops.

FL3, I never used this extensively, but one of our better defenders does. If you aren't getting the spin you would like I would suggest maybe looking at your stroke. Experiment a little with racket angle, the touch at contact, and your stroke speed, and see if you can't get more consistent producing spin with this one. It should allow spin near what you can get with P1R.

Good luck beating the EJ virus. :rofl:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, it's strange that your chops are mostly floats.... they should all be decently spinny.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 00:16 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
ridderz65 wrote:
I definitely get more balls back with the FL3 but I just wish my chops were spinnier!! Rather than floaty!

The funny thing is that I find my P4, which is a clone of FL3, to be the spinniest LP in terms of chopping/pushing etc. And this is not something I am just imagining, this is the feedback I get from my hitting partners and my coach. You do have to commit to your chop for this LP to produce a decent spin though, but once you do, IMHO it's pretty deadly.

I have played against a FL3 once... and I must say I still remember those super heavy chops I had to lift.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 01:49 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
ridderz65 wrote:

Your chops are probably more spinny than you realise, I sometimes think that my chops have hardly any spin but then when they go to push it, or don't spin up better the ball quickly goes in the net.

However perhaps you have the same problem I had when using FL2. I could keep it fairly consistent but the chops would be a lot less spinny. I imagine it would be even harder with FL3. It was definitely a technique thing with me and while I could have stuck with it and simply learnt better I ended up really enjoying Dtecs OX. (I am not saying to try that btw lol)
But perhaps maybe give FL2 a try with more sponge and if you don't click with it then you can choose 1 to stick to and upgrade your technique

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 03:46 
Super User

Ndragon wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

Your chops are probably more spinny than you realise, I sometimes think that my chops have hardly any spin but then when they go to push it, or don't spin up better the ball quickly goes in the net.

However perhaps you have the same problem I had when using FL2. I could keep it fairly consistent but the chops would be a lot less spinny. I imagine it would be even harder with FL3. It was definitely a technique thing with me and while I could have stuck with it and simply learnt better I ended up really enjoying Dtecs OX. (I am not saying to try that btw lol)
But perhaps maybe give FL2 a try with more sponge and if you don't click with it then you can choose 1 to stick to and upgrade your technique

I went to a training camp and had a former top world 50 player loop my chops. He said there was no spin on the FL3 chops. Then when I chopped with P1R against him, he put loads of loops into the net and said that it was a lot spinnier on the chop.
I am so much more consistent however with the FL3 and get so many balls back compared to the FL3 and find the short game so much easier. Which is why I've been using the FL3 over the P1R despite the advice I was given.
So I thought about trying FL2 to see if I could still get that spinny chop but with more consistency.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 17:10 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
ridderz65 wrote:
Ndragon wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

I went to a training camp and had a former top world 50 player loop my chops. He said there was no spin on the FL3 chops. Then when I chopped with P1R against him, he put loads of loops into the net and said that it was a lot spinnier on the chop.
I am so much more consistent however with the FL3 and get so many balls back compared to the FL3 and find the short game so much easier. Which is why I've been using the FL3 over the P1R despite the advice I was given.
So I thought about trying FL2 to see if I could still get that spinny chop but with more consistency.

But his 'no spin' could be quite spinny to a player like me lol.
On the few occasions I knock and play with a young guy at my club, an older guy in his 30s always comments and tells him my chops have no spin just power through them. (He is one of the top players in our club). I think to myself....come on man he is dumping them into the net because there is spin. But to him probably its so little compared to what he would receive against someone on his lvl.
I am not by any means saying what I think you should or should not use btw lol. I am just giving you a little credit as sometimes it's easy to criticise ourselves.

I can say this with FL2 with 1.1 sponge as I used it for 2months. The first chop is never too spinny, but the more spin they give the heavier the chops get as there is some reversal to add to the spin of the grip and sponge. Compare that to when I chopped with Mark V 1.5 where the first and 2nd chop are always spinny but gets less when their loop becomes more powerful due to the accuracy I need (which my lvl cannot compete with yet).

I haven't tried P1R or FL3 but from everything I have read about it I imagine especially with the FL3 it would be easier to give more float balls due to less room for error a bit like the Mark V.

Let us know how you get on I am very interested :)

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572