OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 20:18 

Hi.
At my country all leagues are begining to play with plastic balls since this season. I am about 1700-1800 ranking (there is no ranking at my country, it's just my guess, but I'm evolving quite fast, going to better team now). After a few sessions with these balls (Btf G40+) I think I have to change something with my bh lp (my setup-look signature) because I can generate a lot more spin while chopping with inverted than with P1r.... I know P1r doesnt generate its own spin and my opponents aren't very good but 80% of chops are no spin... Apart from that I have a feeling new ball is very hard while chopping with LP. That's why i want to check some options before new season started:
1) P1R 1.5mm - it can be a bit softer b/c of thicker sponge but, unfortunately, it will be a bit too fast (1.0 is just right). I don't know if i will have more posibilities to generate own spin
2) Feint Long 3 1.1/1.3 - it's slow what i like (i will be able to do faster move to generate more spin), better in generating spin, but I heard it makes less problems for opponents than p1r
3) P4 1.0/1.5 - something between P1R and FL3?
To sum up: I look for softer feel, a bit more dampening effect and the most spin as its possible :) My style is very similar to Ma Te - I play something between classic and modern defense (it depends on opponent).

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 21:34 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
Well I've been playing wit the new ball for about two years now. I don't think you need to change your pips so fast. You need some time to get used to the new ball. p1-r is a very capable pip and it chops the new ball pretty well.
Also the G40+ is .... not the best ball for defense.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 23:10 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
rocket222 wrote:
To sum up: I look for softer feel, a bit more dampening effect and the most spin as its possible

This is exactly why I switched from JSH/P1R to the JSH/P4 and later from the JSH/P4 to VKMO/P4. I play thinnest sponge though... so the difference between P1R 0.5 and P4 0.5 is probably more drastic than when you compare thicker sponges.

You also have to take blade into account. Your blade is nice and flexy. If you were to play with something faster, going for the slower sponge would be a must. In your case you can stay as is or go for something slightly slower (P4 1.0) but you won't see a huge difference in your game or results.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 04:37 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
notfound123 wrote:
rocket222 wrote:
To sum up: I look for softer feel, a bit more dampening effect and the most spin as its possible

This is exactly why I switched from JSH/P1R to the JSH/P4 and later from the JSH/P4 to VKMO/P4. I play thinnest sponge though... so the difference between P1R 0.5 and P4 0.5 is probably more drastic than when you compare thicker sponges.

You also have to take blade into account. Your blade is nice and flexy. If you were to play with something faster, going for the slower sponge would be a must. In your case you can stay as is or go for something slightly slower (P4 1.0) but you won't see a huge difference in your game or results.

And why I am playing double inverted more often (for better or worse). I am still in limbo having gone back to pips recently, and then getting drawn back to double smooth, despite being markedly worse. I just can't stop flipping back and forth....LOL. So i'm not even going to state anymore that "I'm definitely decided" because it just makes me out to be a fool. :D

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions