OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Jan 2019, 03:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Recommend LP Drills
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 03:40 

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso V3
FH: Palio AK-47 Blue (Max)
BH: Palio CK531A (0.6)
Hello,

I've been playing with Long Pips for around 7-8 months... I haven't yet completely understood how to play with /use my Long Pips... I play a mix style ie. Push/Passive Block at the table, and/or chop away (3-6ft) from the table...

Anyway, I have recently found player, who's willing to give me practice... He's not a coach, but is a 1st division, state-level player... He plays double-inverted, and is considered by many, as an expert in playing against Pips... So far, we've had 2-3 practice sessions, but mostly working on my inverted side game..

I would like to know Long Pip based drills, that I can incorporate into our practice sessions... I have already seen and tried Coach McAffee's drills, that're floating around...But, for some reason they don't work for me.. Any suggestions, apart from those ?

Setup 2 : XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon Blade 729 Focus III Snipe 40° Max (Black) Pogo OX (Red)

Setup 3 : GKI Euro XX Blade 61 Second Eagle 38° Max (Black) Dawei 388D OX (Red)

Setup 4 : Butterfly Joyner-H Blade (Black Metal Tag) Palio AK-47 Yellow Max (Black) Yasaka Mark V Max (Red)

Post subject: Re: Recommend LP Drills
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 04:12 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Re-impact Turbo
FH: Spinlord Sandwind 1.5mm
BH: DMS Kamikaze OX
The way I'd think about this is (1) what do you want to do with your long pips (i) against topspin, (ii) against underspin, and (iii) against no-spin; and (2) what is your main offense going to be (long pips rolls or long pips aggressive pushes, forehand loops or flat kills, etc.)? Start with the shots among these that are going to be the bread-and-butter of your game. If, for example, you're a very defensive player who doesn't really attack and feeds off of opponents' errors, then offense is not going to be the main focus of your training at the outset.

So at first, I'd just train the same shot over and over again. If your basic long pips block is shaky, there's no point adding in the footwork and body movement required to transition from that to a forehand loop off of your opponent's push in response to your block. Instead, I'd just take that basic shot (the block, for example) and drill it again and again until you feel good with it. First the ball (preferably through multiball) should be targeted to the same place on the table until you stop making mistakes there, then after you feel comfortable with that, you can transition to blocking all over the table (or all over the backhand side if that's your game). Entirely separately from that, drill, let's say, a long pips push (or whatever you're going to do with your pips against underspin). And go through the same process there. Only once you feel confident with both of these shots in isolation should you, in my view, move to putting them together into a block, push sequence (or a block-block-block-push sequence or whatever). (And then you can also try to incorporate whatever you're going to do with your pips against no-spin, such as a sideswipe or a light topspin roll.) The same is true of attacking. I'd train your pips attacks, forehand loop or forehand smash or whatever SEPARATELY, and only after you feel comfortable with those shots individually, then start putting them together into a plausible sequence for purposes of drilling. The sequence should be something that makes sense with your particular game and that you're likely to see in games. So, for instance, for me, such a sequence might be (1) block; (2) block; (3) attack loose push with my pips; and (4) finish off next high ball with forehand. For you, it's going to be something different, most likely. The sequence also should start simple and only build up as you start feeling more comfortable with each stage.

Maybe that's not the kind of response you were looking for (it's not "here's step 1, here's step 2 and here's step 3"), but unless a coach is working with a kid who's just starting out with a clean slate, he should be tailoring training to the player's abilities and tendencies, so drills need to be individualized for your own preferences, strengths and weaknesses.

IV. Victas Koji Matsushita; FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm; BH: TSP P-1R 1.0-1.3mm
USATT Rating: 2037

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 04:34 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
The way I'd think about this is (1) what do you want to do with your long pips (i) against topspin, (ii) against underspin, and (iii) against no-spin; and (2) what is your main offense going to be (long pips rolls or long pips aggressive pushes, forehand loops or flat kills, etc.)? Start with the shots among these that are going to be the bread-and-butter of your game. If, for example, you're a very defensive player who doesn't really attack and feeds off of opponents' errors, then offense is not going to be the main focus of your training at the outset.

I'd like to practice drills that involve a combination of LP BH, and FH ... For example, use LP to create a setup, and then finish-off with a FH attack..

Setup 2 : XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon Blade 729 Focus III Snipe 40° Max (Black) Pogo OX (Red)

Setup 4 : Butterfly Joyner-H Blade (Black Metal Tag) Palio AK-47 Yellow Max (Black) Yasaka Mark V Max (Red)

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 21:40 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:

So at first, I'd just train the same shot over and over again. If your basic long pips block is shaky, there's no point adding in the footwork and body movement required to transition from that to a forehand loop off of your opponent's push in response to your block. Instead, I'd just take that basic shot (the block, for example) and drill it again and again until you feel good with it. First the ball (preferably through multiball) should be targeted to the same place on the table until you stop making mistakes there, then after you feel comfortable with that, you can transition to blocking all over the table (or all over the backhand side if that's your game). Entirely separately from that, drill, let's say, a long pips push (or whatever you're going to do with your pips against underspin). And go through the same process there. Only once you feel confident with both of these shots in isolation should you, in my view, move to putting them together into a block, push sequence (or a block-block-block-push sequence or whatever). (And then you can also try to incorporate whatever you're going to do with your pips against no-spin, such as a sideswipe or a light topspin roll.) The same is true of attacking. I'd train your pips attacks, forehand loop or forehand smash or whatever SEPARATELY, and only after you feel comfortable with those shots individually, then start putting them together into a plausible sequence for purposes of drilling. The sequence should be something that makes sense with your particular game and that you're likely to see in games. So, for instance, for me, such a sequence might be (1) block; (2) block; (3) attack loose push with my pips; and (4) finish off next high ball with forehand. For you, it's going to be something different, most likely. The sequence also should start simple and only build up as you start feeling more comfortable with each stage.

Maybe that's not the kind of response you were looking for (it's not "here's step 1, here's step 2 and here's step 3"), but unless a coach is working with a kid who's just starting out with a clean slate, he should be tailoring training to the player's abilities and tendencies, so drills need to be individualized for your own preferences, strengths and weaknesses.

I read through your suggestion, once again, and now, I think what you're saying makes more sense - practice shots individually, and then put them into sequence..... currently, although, I TRY playing most of the common/basic LP strokes, they inconsistent.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 22:19 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Donic Defplay
FH: Palio AK47 Blue
BH: Grass Dtecs OX
As a modest suggestion - perhaps settle on one setup and play 95% of the time with it. There are enough small differences between 3 of them in your signature (double inverted does not count ;) ) to lose the feel.