OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 03:00 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
after a brief foray with palio ck531a 0.6 and a longer stint with GD meteorite 0.6.
and a brief return to short pimples and reversed.

i have decided to go back to lp. i am a weird lp player as i only really passive block, push or mostly hit, especially short balls, for my level i think i am pretty good a t bh lp hitting i might post some video.

so i am going to use a tsp balsa 6.5 with fh hurricane neo
meteorite is good for my style but i am concerned with qc not always amazing

do you think curl ph or feint 3 would play in a sinilalar way for me or is there anything else you recommend.
i hit topspin and float well but not chop not with the meteorite, i like it this way it is not what people expect.

would apprecaite any guidance you may give please.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 08:46 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Almost any grippy long pips which are good for chopping will also be good for hitting. You have heaps of options.
Low grip pips like D'techs and Talon are more difficult to hit with.

I've only played meteorite in ox not sponge. I havent tried Tsp ph

Some OX pips I've used for aggressive style include:
S&T Schmerx
Dr N Aggressor
Feint 3
Spinlord Agenda
Dawei 388D-1 (very blade dependant)

I have tried S&T Schmerx in 0.5mm sponge and it has very good quality control. But you need to use the rubber actively, its not designed for passive play.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 10:09 
Super User

Apologies to hijack this thread! Rob M what blades you reckon will best suit Dawei388D1 from your experience?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 10:45 
Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
Apologies to hijack this thread! Rob M what blades you reckon will best suit Dawei388D1 from your experience?

It largely depends upon your playing style and desired outcome.
Previously I used the 388d1 on a spinlord ultracarbod denfense, which is a flexy, soft, light weight carbon blade. I found this combination felt “mushy”. I really didn’t like it. It was to slow for my active/aggressive style. I couldn’t hit well or put my opponents under time pressure. But the slow speed made for better control in chopping and blocking.
For a while I used 388D1 on a Ross Leidy Soto Voce which is a stiff, hard, fast all wood blade. This was a much better combo. I could hit, aggressive push and bump very effectively, it was also good for chopping but not great for blocking. Ultimately I moved on from 388d1 as I wanted to try lower grip pips again.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 11:01 
Super User

Thanks Rob M :up:

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 21:57 

Blade: Ma Lin or Falck Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx 1.9mm
BH: Spinlord Kieler 1.8mm
How dare you hijack my first ever post, im so sad and disappointed.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2018, 22:28 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
i played about 2 years with the TSP P&H. It is a very good Lp for all kind of shot. Good control. Can hit, counter top spin and good chopblock. It has this special feature on the pushes. It create knuckle ball. stronger you push against other chop more the ball fall down. At the beginning my pushes were always short and fall in the net. I notice the strong reversal it has specially on these shot. So the ball top spin heavily after my pushes. This happen against strong opponent backspin. I thought at the beginning that it was the heavy backspin of the opponent that react on the pimples and send the ball in the net like inverted rubber. But no, pimples don't do that. I used my black and white ball to see the rotation and the ball that goes in the net was having top spin. So I started to push haeavy and wow the ball fall down right after the net. The opponnent has some difficulties to play with that bal as it is short and spinny and can double bounce on the table. I also strait hit these ball with a side spin. It cretaed weird bounce.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2018, 16:43 
Super User

Hello,

My experience with the 388D-1 (Complete Setup mentioned in profile) -

I find it very hard (Almost impossible) to hit with the 388D-1 + Defplay V3 combo ... I've tried following several tips/tutorials/suggestions, different actions etc etc ... just does not work for me ... On the other hand, it's chopping/pushing, both on and off the table is very consistent... even passive blocking is not bad, just less reversal...

I'm not sure if the hitting issue, it's a technique thing , and here why - I have another setup, comprising of a XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon Blade, Pogo OX, and 729 Focus III Snipe. I find almost no issues, when hitting with the XVT+Pogo, even though the Pogo is supposed to be less grippy...This combo is also amazing for passive blocking, with a smidge of reversal too...

I have a fellow club m8, who has a VKMO + Dtecs OX combo, and I've found that hitting with even this combo is easier (with a more exaggerated action) than with my Defplay + 388D-1 combo

My only conclusion is that it's the stiffness/flexibility of the blade makes most of the difference, while hitting (???)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2018, 21:26 
Super User

ootbs wrote:
Hello,

My experience with the 388D-1 (Complete Setup mentioned in profile) -

I find it very hard (Almost impossible) to hit with the 388D-1 + Defplay V3 combo ... I've tried following several tips/tutorials/suggestions, different actions etc etc ... just does not work for me ... On the other hand, it's chopping/pushing, both on and off the table is very consistent... even passive blocking is not bad, just less reversal...

I'm not sure if the hitting issue, it's a technique thing , and here why - I have another setup, comprising of a XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon Blade, Pogo OX, and 729 Focus III Snipe. I find almost no issues, when hitting with the XVT+Pogo, even though the Pogo is supposed to be less grippy...This combo is also amazing for passive blocking, with a smidge of reversal too...

I have a fellow club m8, who has a VKMO + Dtecs OX combo, and I've found that hitting with even this combo is easier (with a more exaggerated action) than with my Defplay + 388D-1 combo

My only conclusion is that it's the stiffness/flexibility of the blade makes most of the difference, while hitting (???)

Hi Ootbs!

Yes this is my conclusions as well. For aggressive style of LP play using bumps, swipes, rolls etc a harder and stiffer blade is my preferred option.

388d-1 is very blade dependent. It has great absorbing / braking effect. It can really take the pace off the ball well. However this same characteristic makes it harder to attack with. I have never used it on a Defplay but I reckon it would be VERY SLOW.

I guess it really just depends upon your style of play and what LP is best suited for you.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 01:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
388d-1 works better with thin 0.5 sponge,I can do everything with this on slow Tsp balsa blade including attack,reckon it would work on Defplay too

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 04:15 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
So i play again few minutes with p&h. Very slow compare to agressor but when its time to do short game it is Very good. I can be extremely agressive with my push and it wll not go off the table. For opponent who like to top spin dificult to do as very short and slow. The other side is that i lost my attack. More slower and difficult than agressor for attack.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 04:28 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
388d-1 works better with thin 0.5 sponge,I can do everything with this on slow Tsp balsa blade including attack,reckon it would work on Defplay too

A Balsa blade would be on the stiffer side. This is in line with what I am saying - That, attacking would be easier with a 388D-1 + Stiff blade combo.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 06:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
ootbs Tsp balsa 3.0 has more flex than Defplay it's the sponge that makes the difference for the attacking strokes,I found it difficult to attack with 388d-1 in ox unless the ball was higher or slower and sideswipe attack was then possible

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 19:11 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
ootbs Tsp balsa 3.0 has more flex than Defplay it's the sponge that makes the difference for the attacking strokes,I found it difficult to attack with 388d-1 in ox unless the ball was higher or slower and sideswipe attack was then possible

oh sorry - I auto-assumed that a balsa blade would be stiffer... I guess, the sponge could be the differentiator ..

Tell me - IF you have played with both, the Defplay V3, and TSP 3.0 .. Could you give me a comparison of both ?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018, 22:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
The faster TSP balsa blades e.g. 5.00 and higher are quite stiff due to the central 5mm + balsa core.

However the 3.0 only has a thin 3mm balsa core which in the absence of say carbon layers results in it being much more flexible, in fact on mine I resorted to adding wood glue around where the handle meets the blade