OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 19:42 

Hi Guys,

I’m a two winged looper. My rating differs around 1960-2080.
Lately I’ve been thinking about being a modern defender. My FH and bh is pretty solid so I thought I can attack every push I got.
My fh chopping is surprisingly flawless. I can chop with pretty much anything. Tenergy with a carbon off+ blade, lp, anti, short pips… But I’m not that talented with the bh chopping and pushing. I can chop with lp ( thanks to reversal I don’t have to swing much) but I cant push. I can push with sp but I can’t chop far away from the table. The problem is I forget to twirl. I often cought with lp against pushes.
I’m looking for a lp or med pips with some reversal but easy to push with. Currently I’m using Neptune and its not easy for me at all. I’ve tried my friends curl p2 and its great. But its expensive and I’m pretty sure I’ll change a lot of lp-anti-med pips in a short time. So I’m looking for a curl p2 clone.
Any suggestions?

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 00:36 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Watch a video how to do it, learn the fundamentals, don't need to change rubbers.

Yangyang Jia at YouTube.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 02:10 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
TSuBaSa wrote:
Lately I’ve been thinking about being a modern defender....My fh chopping is surprisingly flawless..... But I’m not that talented with the bh chopping and pushing.

To become a decent MD you have the be the other way around: you need a flawless BH and you may or may not need to learn FH chopping, depending on your preference and style.

Overall, don't worry too much about your LP rubber, stick with what you have and learn the basics first. You will know what you need once you reach a certain skill level.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018, 17:45 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
You didn't write if you've been able to chop with the Neptune, but considering the tone I'd think it was barely consistent.
Having tried 'a' short pip but failed to chop with it doesn't convince me to completely abandon SPs. There are more than 1 type out there and some are pretty decent for a more defensive style.

You may give the FS 563-1 and 563 Mystery III a try, both are available in 1.5mm afaik.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 20:11 

Hi,

Thank you guys.
I ended up with Meteor 575. It’s a very interesting LP. Structure seems normal but it’s very very grippy. So its really easy to play. Chopping back those pushes were just fine. Reversal is not its strongest suit but that’s totally ok because it’s still a lot better than anti or SP.

Now I can chop away from the table and when my opponent pushes than I can chop back with LP. The only problem is I'm lazy. I don’t go back enough to contact the ball really low. If I get caught too close to the table I can’t chop with LP.

I guess I'll stick with the 575 for a while. I need to play without thinking too much. My muscle tries to take the ball early and make sudden moves but my brain tells me to take to ball late with smooth moves. It’s a though transition.