OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 03:38 
Super User

Which rubber is most similar to TSP Curl p1r?

Feint Long 2 or 3?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2018, 05:06 
Super User

Neither, really. FLII and FLIII are both softer and grippier, very noticeably.

Martinspin data (not always perfect but very good):
pip length / width / basesheet thickness / pip spacing / pip hardness / pip grippiness
Code:
P1-R  1.65 1.5 .35 2.7 86 32
FLII  1.50 1.5 .30 2.9 83 40
FLIII 1.70 1.6 .30 2.7 75 37

Many are closer to P1-R, Dawei Saviga V for example:
Code:
1.70 1.5 .30 2.7 87 31

Saviga V feels a little harder, a little faster, a little cleaner for at the table use. That's all I can say.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2018, 01:30 
Super User

Which is more faster? Feint Long II ir Curl P1r?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 06:45 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Review of Curl P1R (OX): https://youtu.be/3npr8aNjQfM

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 22:02 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I know this is oldish...but my 2 cents.

I have recently used FL2 for about a month in 1.0mm. I have used P-1R the longest of any rubber in all sponges.

I think FL2 is quite similar to P-1R, and probably more forgiving. Speed is about the same, grip is pretty similar. FL2 might be ever so slightly grippier, but it's hard to say..more grippy in the short game (push vs short push, serve return, etc). Could just be that the top sheet was newer than all of my most recent sheets of P-1R. Honestly, at my level (1600), I could go back and forth between the 2 pretty seamlessly.

I found P-1R has more overall underspin potential on chops. FL2 is excellent for hitting! FL2 is definitely more allround, but P-1R can be allround as well provided you understand it. P-1R is easier for returning tricky spins, but FL2 is better for adding spin to less spinny balls in the short game.

I am currently using p-1R in 0.5...I changed from 1.0mm. I have FL2 in 1.0, but may try the 0.5mm.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Last edited by Japsican on 08 Feb 2019, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 22:08 

scdit46 wrote:
Which is more faster? Feint Long II ir Curl P1r?

It's about the same speed wise in 1.0mm. I think in thinner sponge FL2 seems more dampening and P-1R feels more OX-like. As I said in my previous post, I don't have FL2 in 0.5mm yet on a chopping racket, but have tried it on a friend's shake hand blade, and I did have it on a JPEN blade I bought and tried it briefly before changing the rubber. My initial impressions were that FL2 was very slow in 0.5mm (or dampening)...which I liked. But again, I didn't hit with it extensively, and both those blades were unfamiliar to me so my impressions might be suspect.

I think I'm going to buy it in 0.5mm and try it on my current blade to test it.

The thing I liked about it in 1.0mm was that I had far more offensive possibilities with the LPs without twiddling. I really liked that.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2019, 00:06 

Blade: Joo Sae Hyuk
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: TSP P1-R Curl
Japsican wrote:

I am currently using p-1R in 0.5...I changed from 1.0mm. I have FL2 in 1.0, but may try the 0.5mm.

Why did you change thickness might i ask?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2019, 15:16 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Japsican wrote:

Welcome to the 0.5mm LP club! :D

As Shiono once said 0.5 is the most popular LP thickness in Japan and it's what most (all?) high-level Japanese choppers use... and Japanese know a thing or two about chopping

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 06:28 

HRose202 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Why did you change thickness might i ask?

I bump a lot more than i used to, and 1.0mm requires a bit more of an active upward stroke at the table to achieve the same thing...where as the 0.5 really bumps quite similar to Ox. It's about the spin sensitivity.

It's also more controlled vs. spin, (not as controlled versus pace). I need more spin control apparently, but at low levels of spin, the 1.0mm is far better at generating spin.

I mentioned this to Notfound in another thread as well, but a coach out here is actually telling me to go thicker if i seem to have more trouble with slow loopers and low-spinners. But I think I'm not going to listen (LOL). I think the fact that he plays against 2600 level guys on a regular basis may have colored his opinion...hahahaha.

The bump is too important as is the spin control.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 06:29 

notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Welcome to the 0.5mm LP club! :D

As Shiono once said 0.5 is the most popular LP thickness in Japan and it's what most (all?) high-level Japanese choppers use... and Japanese know a thing or two about chopping

Haha for now! I have been using 0.5 the longest of all the thicknesses..so it's certainly not a new club for me. It's old hat.

But IMO the 0.5 P-4 is more like 1.0mm P-1R in how it behaves.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 13:46 
Super User

Japsican wrote:

Having played p1r 1.0 on several occasions I would agree. Both feel soft and both are insanely spinny against loops.

But honestly P1r 0.5 is not that far off. I had it on a backup racket for quite some time and I could switch back and forth between the P4 0.5 and P1r 0.5 almost instantly. Yes, it was 5-10% faster, yes it felt a bit harder... but overall i really liked that it was more forgiving at the table on service receives and bumps/side swipes. Its top end spin on chops wasn't as great but frankly over the table game is more important at my level. I had one memorable friendly win with it against someone who was a former 2200-2300. I did switch back to the p4 since I had to play in a tourney and I am also resuming to play the league ...I may reconsider and switch back to the P1R 0.5 when I get some free time to experiment more :devil:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 21:43 

notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Having played p1r 1.0 on several occasions I would agree. Both feel soft and both are insanely spinny against loops.

But honestly P1r 0.5 is not that far off. I had it on a backup racket for quite some time and I could switch back and forth between the P4 0.5 and P1r 0.5 almost instantly. Yes, it was 5-10% faster, yes it felt a bit harder... but overall i really liked that it was more forgiving at the table on service receives and bumps/side swipes. Its top end spin on chops wasn't as great but frankly over the table game is more important at my level. I had one memorable friendly win with it against someone who was a former 2200-2300. I did switch back to the p4 since I had to play in a tourney and I am also resuming to play the league ...I may reconsider and switch back to the P1R 0.5 when I get some free time to experiment more :devil:

You felt the P-1r's top end wasn't as high? That's interesting because almost universally most people have the opposite impression. I'm sure everyone is right because this stuff is all so nuanced.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019, 23:52 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
notfound123 wrote:
Japsican wrote:

You felt the P-1r's top end wasn't as high? That's interesting because almost universally most people have the opposite impression. I'm sure everyone is right because this stuff is all so nuanced.

Talking specifically p1 0.5 vs p4 0.5. I had a couple people whose feedback i value mention that my chops were not as spinny compared to my p4 chops... still plenty spinny just not the same top end spin (this needs more testing :) This was apples to apples, same sponge, same blade and of course this is IMO and could vary from person to person. This could also be my stiff/hard blade.

If you move up the sponge, p1r is a spin monster without a doubt. Too many examples to mention including the coach.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 04:58 

notfound123 wrote:

Talking specifically p1 0.5 vs p4 0.5. I had a couple people whose feedback i value mention that my chops were not as spinny compared to my p4 chops... still plenty spinny just not the same top end spin (this needs more testing :) This was apples to apples, same sponge, same blade and of course this is IMO and could vary from person to person. This could also be my stiff/hard blade.

If you move up the sponge, p1r is a spin monster without a doubt. Too many examples to mention including the coach.

I would bet that's fairly accurate. Because, P-1R at 0.5 is so passive, it's very Ox-like. So, **generating** spin with no grip is very difficult. You need a willing participant with the right technique to loop at you while feeding you "top end" spin. Since the P-4 is as grippy (to me) as 1.0mm P-1R, it bet you can add more spin.

But again, so nuanced. Depends on your friends technique, the spin he gives you, and whether his perception is based on the first couple of chops or the last few.

When I would practice with Bojun, at the time 2400, he would say my chops were the heaviest he's ever felt, including WCL (i know, ridiculous). I was using DG OX at the time!

I explained it to him, he was always giving me 2400 level loops and I'm always sending back all of his spin based a lot on reversal. So, really, he was complimenting how spinny he was looping.

I tell you what, WCL is a great coach, but his solution to all my problems involved attacking more, and he didn't want to hear anything about classic defense or chtchetinine or anything like that. LOL. :rofl:

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 05:01 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Japsican wrote:
I tell you what, WCL is a great coach, but his solution to all my problems involved attacking more, and he didn't want to hear anything about classic defense or chtchetinine or anything like that. LOL. :rofl:

He could be on to something... Not a lot of classic defenders around these days, and you have to win points somehow, so attack might be a low hanging fruit. Of course, if you WANT to play classic defense game, it's different.