OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 23:09 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
pgpg wrote:
Japsican wrote:
I tell you what, WCL is a great coach, but his solution to all my problems involved attacking more, and he didn't want to hear anything about classic defense or chtchetinine or anything like that. LOL. :rofl:

He could be on to something... Not a lot of classic defenders around these days, and you have to win points somehow, so attack might be a low hanging fruit. Of course, if you WANT to play classic defense game, it's different.

I'm not saying he's wrong, of course it's low hanging fruit. And for him, a former chinese national junior...looping is god. To the hammer, all the world is a nail as they say. But there are plenty of elite classic D players at the amateur level to semi-pro level....up to elite levels. Especially in Japan and Eastern Europe. I also believe in cultivating a player's strengths and not shoehorning them into things that don't suit them.

Broken record here, but my BH is my best looping weapon, but it requires a twiddle. My FH has always been a project. Forever. Ever since I switched to shake hand from Jpen. :headbang: :-D

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 01:56 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
Japsican wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Japsican wrote:
I tell you what, WCL is a great coach, but his solution to all my problems involved attacking more, and he didn't want to hear anything about classic defense or chtchetinine or anything like that. LOL. :rofl:

He could be on to something... Not a lot of classic defenders around these days, and you have to win points somehow, so attack might be a low hanging fruit. Of course, if you WANT to play classic defense game, it's different.

I'm not saying he's wrong, of course it's low hanging fruit. And for him, a former chinese national junior...looping is god. To the hammer, all the world is a nail as they say. But there are plenty of elite classic D players at the amateur level to semi-pro level....up to elite levels. Especially in Japan and Eastern Europe. I also believe in cultivating a player's strengths and not shoehorning them into things that don't suit them.

Broken record here, but my BH is my best looping weapon, but it requires a twiddle. My FH has always been a project. Forever. Ever since I switched to shake hand from Jpen. :headbang: :-D

I am with you on this one. One size fits all doesn't work in TT. Not only one has strengths and weaknesses but we also have our preferences. Early on I decided that I would give up my FH chop. We spent a couple lessons on it and it's a 1500 level shot at best. Sure I do it when I play my son for fun. But in league matches playing 2000 level players it just doesn't make sense for me to chop when I can fish and/or counter loop. I played several strong players last night and didn't chop once.

Stick to your style .. I think it's okay to be unique. Look at the German TSP-sponsored guy - Daniel K.. He plays classic D and is very successful. He would easily be 2400-2500 in the States.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019, 11:48 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
That was my take on it as well, men!

When people say "just get a good fh." Like it's a fairly easy task for everyone. I was kind of like Jap, where my bh loop was my best attack. I actually played "reverse modern defense" of chopping forehand and attacking backhand. An injury forced me to swap that... and while I can fh brush loop most any push now, I still cant attack top spin much at all. I might be in the same camp where, "get a better fh" while true... is not overly helpful! Tendency and ability wise.

And since giving up the quest for god's thunderous forehand kill shot... my win rate has shot up! If I stick to my natural inclinations and defend most of the time, I play much better. Looking at the higher rated players, I dont see myself hitting a ceiling very soon either. I wont be playing any 2300+ offensive maniacs, so trying to combat them doesnt help me a while lot when battling 1200-1900 guys.