OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Long pips short pips !!!
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 00:10 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
Hey guys!! . Who plays short and long pips combined ? What rubbers and what blade ? What strategy you employ? Twiddle ? Or, is this a dying art ? with the advent of the power play reverse rubbers now available. Ie the tenergy era ? Cheers..
So, currently, I got an old nittaku combi blade with spinlord agenda 1mm on slower side and 802.40 on faster carbon veiled side. Works a treat.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 18:03 

Blade: Kokutaku Ice&Fire
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7
BH: Dr. Neubauer Desperado 2
Hello, sometimes i play in that combination. I use MPS wizard with: Tuttle Sumemr 3 c / SpinLord waran on my forehand and for backhand i use Dornenglanz ox , is not a dying art if you use wisley this combination and you need to smash a lot to make points ;)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 23:01 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
This is the style I am switching to. Used to have inverted forehand and long pips ox backhand, now switching to short pips forehand and either medium or long pips on backhand, maybe with sponge. Recently tried using short pips both sides and didn't see to fit my game, as I like to have one side to slow it down.

I'm finding that I like having a spinny short pip, which still gives me the ability to generate spin on serves and loops, and gives me more spin coming back from my opponent for my backhand medium or long to use for reversal. I think I've decided on DMS Firestorm Soft on the forehand. On the back...still a work in progress.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2019, 23:42 

Blade: Dr.Neubauer Bloodhound
FH: Yasaka Rakza 7
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz OX
I am use ox long pips to block and short pips for smash , sometimes loop from undercut returns and rare to chop !!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A600FN folosind Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 17:13 

Thanks. I've heard a lot about waran looks good. I did purchase the spinlord agenda, 1mm. This is pretty good, quite lively I feel but seems to have good variation and gears. Waran I believe is fast. Do you know if it's faster than say 802.40 in 2mm ? Thanks

PostPosted: 07 May 2019, 22:39 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Gazzatron wrote:
Thanks. I've heard a lot about waran looks good. I did purchase the spinlord agenda, 1mm. This is pretty good, quite lively I feel but seems to have good variation and gears. Waran I believe is fast. Do you know if it's faster than say 802.40 in 2mm ? Thanks

I've tried both Waran and 802-40 (the "Super Soft 35 deg" version): red sheets, 1.8 mm.
To me, Waran feels much faster: 802-40 felt almost dead compared to it. I think this is due to the sponge: Waran's sponge is very soft, much softer than the 802-40's "Super Soft" sponge.

PostPosted: 08 May 2019, 02:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I agree with Ziv, Waran is faster than 802-40. As I've gone on this journey of transitioning to the SP/LP style, there's one thing I found that you may want to consider. I think it pays to have a very spinny short pip. One thing I miss about having inverted is that I can't juice up a serve with as much spin. Even if an opponent returned it, then using the long pips as my third ball return from the heavy spin was very effective. Even the most spinny pips won't give you the same spin as inverted, but it helps to give more of a contrast between the SP and LP if you have a spinny short pip on the forehand. I'm using the Firestorm Soft right now, which I can get decent spin on, or TSP Spinpips Red would give you a lot of spin as well. 802-40 is spinny, but I don't think as much as these two. And I don't think Waran has the amount of spin that these two have either. I have a sheet of Yasaka Rakza PO and Victas VO>102 to try, to see if I like either of those better.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 06:56 

dwruck wrote:
I agree with Ziv, Waran is faster than 802-40. As I've gone on this journey of transitioning to the SP/LP style, there's one thing I found that you may want to consider. I think it pays to have a very spinny short pip. One thing I miss about having inverted is that I can't juice up a serve with as much spin. Even if an opponent returned it, then using the long pips as my third ball return from the heavy spin was very effective. Even the most spinny pips won't give you the same spin as inverted, but it helps to give more of a contrast between the SP and LP if you have a spinny short pip on the forehand. I'm using the Firestorm Soft right now, which I can get decent spin on, or TSP Spinpips Red would give you a lot of spin as well. 802-40 is spinny, but I don't think as much as these two. And I don't think Waran has the amount of spin that these two have either. I have a sheet of Yasaka Rakza PO and Victas VO>102 to try, to see if I like either of those better.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:05 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I've returned to inverted on my forehand with long pips on the backhand. It just suits my game much better. But, using short pips on my forehand for a while did have the desired effect of improving my forehand stroke and flat hits! :)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019, 07:16 

Nice one
Yep I'm currently rev/pips on a light combi blade.
Sure the short pips is super for direct flat hitting good technique essential though.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 03:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There are two reasons why a lot of people use long pips on one side and inverted on the other. The first reason is maximum contrast. Balls coming back from the inverted side have very different spin compared to balls coming back from the long pips side. You still have this if you replace the inverted with short pips, but the contrast isn't nearly as much. The second reason is the ability to attack with the inverted side (while the long pips side makes it much easier to chop or otherwise return hard topspins). You retain the ability to attack with the short pips, but it's a different sort of attack. Short pips players attack balls on the rise or the top of the bounce, which means fairly close to the table, while inverted rubber allows longer distance looping with a lot more topspin than you'd get with short pips. On the plus side (for short pips), you'd be more likely to confuse opponents who haven't played against short pips, they'd expect more spin and would tend to put the ball into the net. This, however, becomes less and less likely at the higher levels of the sport. The short pips attacking style can also be very effective, since returns close to the table are faster for the opponent, and angles can be sharper. But if you're forced back from the table then you'll be forced to chop on both sides.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2019, 01:47 

Great reply. And yes I get that about the variation of the rubbers and the contrast it creates.