OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 07:02 

Blade: Joo Sae Hyuk
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: TSP P1-R Curl
Hi, I've been playing with TSP Curl P1 - R 0.5mm (on my backhand) for a little while over a year now. I play at a high level (for county) and i chop mid - long range. I decided to change to a 1.00mm TSP Curl P1 - R to get more deceptive spin and used it for the first time tonight. I was doing multiball against heavy loops amd was returning roughly 60%. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for using it, e.g bat angle, how much wrist to use ect ect.

Also i use the Joo Sae Hyuk blade

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 12:28 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
HRose202 wrote:
Hi, I've been playing with TSP Curl P1 - R 0.5mm (on my backhand) for a little while over a year now. I play at a high level (for county) and i chop mid - long range. I decided to change to a 1.00mm TSP Curl P1 - R to get more deceptive spin and used it for the first time tonight. I was doing multiball against heavy loops amd was returning roughly 60%. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for using it, e.g bat angle, how much wrist to use ect ect.

I play with the same LP in 0.5. Quite honestly I am not exactly understanding your reason for moving to the 1.0.

Thicker sponge enables more spin variation at the expense of control. So going thicker makes the rubber faster. Going to the 1.0 won't make your rubber more deceptive. If you want more deception, that is, if you want your pips to be "nasty" and unpredictable to your opponents, you actually want LESS sponge not more. Also P1r is not a deceptive pip by design, it's a grippy LP. If you are really looking for deception, you want something slippery in OX (no sponge).

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 16:55 

HRose202 wrote:

I use that combo and have tried the 0.5mm. Things I’ve found to be useful...

1. Use a shorter stroke, let the sponge do the work

2. Try to put a little bit of side on as you chop. This improves placement for some reason. Also makes for a non-standard bounce.

3. Practice chop contact alternatively under the ball then vertically down the back then punch chop - to get the float ball.

That’ll get you going. You’ll find the 1.0mm much more variable than the 0.5mm, so will take a little time. Being able to create the float ball on demand is where you’ll see the greatest benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More Classic than Modern Defender

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 17:14 

Blade: Joo Sae Hyuk
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: TSP P1-R Curl
Konkrete wrote:
HRose202 wrote:

2. Try to put a little bit of side on as you chop. This improves placement for some reason. Also makes for a non-standard bounce.

3. Practice chop contact alternatively under the ball then vertically down the back then punch chop - to get the float ball.

That’ll get you going. You’ll find the 1.0mm much more variable than the 0.5mm, so will take a little time. Being able to create the float ball on demand is where you’ll see the greatest benefit.

Okay thank you this is really helpful. Because you have played both do you prefer 0.5 or 1.00mm?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2019, 19:01 

HRose202 wrote:
Konkrete wrote:
HRose202 wrote:

Okay thank you this is really helpful. Because you have played both do you prefer 0.5 or 1.00mm?

I'm totally sold on the 1.0mm. Much better closer to the table for my game and you get that weird flight of the ball that makes a lot of opponents hesitate. However the 0.5 benefits from being slower and, in my opinion, marginally easier to flick with. In terms of chopping I'd say they're about the same but the 1.0mm needs a little more attention. As you'd expect with the sponge being a little thicker.

We have a very good modern defender at our club who prefers it the other way around. Although he had a defensive blade also.

Depends how active you want to be I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More Classic than Modern Defender