OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 May 2019, 03:52 

Hello everyone,
I was hoping I could get some advice on which lp to use when chopping with the vkm. I'll be chopping from mid to long distance and will be using lps with sponge.

I used to use dhs c7 but it was like medium pips(though they say it's long pips) and I was really not comfortable chopping with it. The pips were too hard I guess...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 May 2019, 19:47 

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Wood
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-D
BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x
I can't say anything those 3, but my frist LP was DHS Cloud & Fog 3. I looked for a different one because this rubber was good for long distance chopping (what I do NOT do) but hard near the table (for me). It's cheap compared to butterfly ones so you can give that a try.

Setup: Stiga Cybershape Wood / FH:Tibhar Evolution FX-D / BH: S&T Hellfire X 0x

PostPosted: 19 May 2019, 16:50 

Not familiar with spike, but I have played C7, Feint 3 and currently use Feint 2.

If you want to actively vary the spin yourself by utilizing the grip of the pip choose Feint 3. This is also easier to attack with. Feint 3 is considered a grippy pip. Chop with a heavy chop motion, you get heavy chop, chop lighter you get lighter chop

Feint 2 has less grip, I would consider it medium grippy, so it is more forgiving, easier to receive serve, and easier to keep heavy chops down. You can still manipulate the spin some, but not to the same degree. You will be more dependent on the other players top spin to provide your backspin.

Example -

Your opponent gives you a light topspin loop, and then follows with a heavy topspin loop.

Feint 3 - You can choose to chop the first ball heavy if you wish, you will need to be a little careful to keep the second chop down. If you chop it heavy you can make a heavy chop.

Feint 2 - You will have a difficult time to make a heavy chop out of the light topspin ball. The most you are likely to get is a medium chop. You will be able to make a very heavy chop on the second heavy topspin ball.

With Feint 2 you are not entirely dependent on the opponents spin for variation, as you can still vary the spin some by altering your contact.

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 21:36 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
FL 2 and 3 are both grippy. Grippier and slower than their TSP counterparts P-1R and P-4 by a tick.

But FL2 has less friction than FL3, is faster, and a bit more forgiving against spin. Hits way better. FL3 is very grippy and very slow....so if you have a very slow blade it will feel like a chore to get the ball back if you are using 1.0mm sponge. You will like the control, but I felt sometimes my arm was actually getting tired from chopping on the backhand with FL3. On a fast blade, FL3 is quite nice.

Think about your biggest issue. Is it controlling pace? Go with FL3 because the sponge will cushion and absorb incoming energy. If it's controlling spin, then get FL2 as it's slippery relative to FL3.

Everyone's different, but on the VKM, FL3 is too slow for me. On a JSH, it's nice. So, since you are using the VKM, I think you'd be happier with FL2 (or P-1R).

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 May 2019, 22:19 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Which FL would be closest to Grass Dtecs with 1.2mm sponge. Would it be FL2 ?

PostPosted: 23 May 2019, 11:34 

Quote:
Which FL would be closest to Grass Dtecs with 1.2mm sponge. Would it be FL2 ?

FL2 is closer. But, neither is close. They both have much more grip.