OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2024, 19:35 

Blade: Sanwei Parla
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Sanwei Dizzy
Roy wrote:
Nebur wrote:
i went for the S&T recommended setup with unicorn + hellfire x bh and their secret flow chop FH.

If the complaints with offensive rubbers are that it's too slow on FH I wonder how secret flow chop will feel :D

With offensive rubbers I have had all kinds of problems with Unicorn: lack of speed, control, spin and feel... :lol: Secret flow chop might actually be nice with Unicorn for underspin, control and smashing type of attacks. Looping might not be it's best side.

Did you try banana blade from Sawer and Trogger? I heard that is more offensive and it was made specifically for those kind of offensive rubbers.

Regards.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 17:02 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Nebur wrote:
Yeah, either block, push, chop or smash with the FH. Rarely loop. I don't want to open up the game and end up in some FH/FH rally with a strong attacker anyway. If it's good enough for the occasional slow opening loop to surprise someone with it's fine.

And I already figured out smashing with defensive rubbers is very safe. Can hardly miss unless you do something crazy

I have 2. division games coming next weekend and I am going to play with Unicorn+Hurricane+Dtecs. Last round I played with faster combination (mentioned in the left column). Just want to cut down easy mistakes.

I have tested some FH rubbers with Unicorn in max.

- Tibhar Aurus - very bad, speed ja spin missing, feeling awful.
- Tibhar Mx-p - Decent choice, loops ok, short game lacking
- Tibhar Mx-d - Too hard, dwell too short, slips in play, bad control
- Joola GT PS - Quite playable, too much dwell, control good, speed average at best.
- Hurricane 3 - Good control in serves, pushes and chops, smashes surprisingly well, slow safe loops work well. Lack of control in faster bangbang exchanges. Blocking not that good.

I also have S & T secret flow chop max and I have played with it in competition, but not tested it with Unicorn. S & T is good rubber, one of the best for overall control. However, I didn't find it especially good for chopping :lol: as the name would suggest, but it was one of the best for smashing.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 19:21 

Roy wrote:
Nebur wrote:
Yeah, either block, push, chop or smash with the FH. Rarely loop. I don't want to open up the game and end up in some FH/FH rally with a strong attacker anyway. If it's good enough for the occasional slow opening loop to surprise someone with it's fine.

And I already figured out smashing with defensive rubbers is very safe. Can hardly miss unless you do something crazy

I have 2. division games coming next weekend and I am going to play with Unicorn+Hurricane+Dtecs. Last round I played with faster combination (mentioned in the left column). Just want to cut down easy mistakes.

- Joola GT PS - Quite playable, too much dwell, control good, speed average at best.
- Hurricane 3 - Good control in serves, pushes and chops, smashes surprisingly well, slow safe loops work well. Lack of control in faster bangbang exchanges. Blocking not that good.

I also have S & T secret flow chop max and I have played with it in competition, but not tested it with Unicorn. S & T is good rubber, one of the best for overall control. However, I didn't find it especially good for chopping :lol: as the name would suggest, but it was one of the best for smashing.

Thanks for all this interesting information.

Really useful.

Why do you think Hurricane is the one with better performance? Is it because of the hardness of the sponge?

Regards

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 20:30 

Roy wrote:
Nebur wrote:

That is fine. I rarely chop. Prefer to use LP block even in FH, otherwise regular block or counter on FH.
Hurricane 3... regular? I played with Hurricane 3 NEO before on different, but also slow, blade and that worked very well, even in blocking (Barricade DEF). So I suppose if Secret Flow Chop is not to my liking I could try that as well. In faster exchanges I'll probably switch over to LP block after 1 exchange anyway

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 23:39 
Super User

Diegox wrote:
Why do you think Hurricane is the one with better performance? Is it because of the hardness of the sponge?
Regards

Of course rubber depends on player style, but I quess Hurricane Neo has good dwell time and tacky surface to give control, if you can handle the sensitivity to spin. I like to give all kind of spinny shots, so it fits the bill and there is hidden top end speed/spin when you start pounding. With stiff blade like unicorn "normal" rubbers don't seem to play together well. There are also other commentators to say that Hard+tacky plays well with Unicorn. I quess regular Joola GT (and similar) might also fit the bill.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2024, 23:43 

Roy wrote:
Diegox wrote:
Regards

Of course rubber depends on player style, but I quess Hurricane Neo has good dwell time and tacky surface to give control, if you can handle the sensitivity to spin. I like to give all kind of spinny shots, so it fits the bill and there is hidden top end speed/spin when you start pounding. With stiff blade like unicorn "normal" rubbers don't seem to play together well. There are also other commentators to say that Hard+tacky plays well with Unicorn. I quess regular Joola GT (and similar) might also fit the bill.

Amazing, good information.

Regards

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 20:32 

so i used hellfire x on unicorn blade on saturday. I feel it's a great combo. The blocks coming back off this are fast but still land on the table all the time. And I you do a "no energy" passive block you can still get it just after the net.
attacking or in my case aggresive pushing is not as dangerous as with Desperado Reloaded but did the job. I was mostly surprised by the forehand side of the blade, somehow the Secret Flow Chop inverted rubber in combination with the Unicorn blade worked really well for me. I hardly missed any FH attack in my matches.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2024, 21:19 

Nebur wrote:
so i used hellfire x on unicorn blade on saturday. I feel it's a great combo. The blocks coming back off this are fast but still land on the table all the time. And I you do a "no energy" passive block you can still get it just after the net.
attacking or in my case aggresive pushing is not as dangerous as with Desperado Reloaded but did the job. I was mostly surprised by the forehand side of the blade, somehow the Secret Flow Chop inverted rubber in combination with the Unicorn blade worked really well for me. I hardly missed any FH attack in my matches.

Thank you for keeping me informed about your progress with this material. Interesting that you mentioned about Desperado, seems like many people is using now this one. In other post we were also exchanging about the differences between Desperado and Viper.

I would like to ask you, from your experience, which is the difference between Hellfire X and Monkey from S&T. I hear that monkey is more similar to Desperado.

Regards.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2024, 23:57 

Blade: Stiga ALL round
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Grass dtech
And about Sanwei Alpha defence in compare with unicorn?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2024, 17:07 
Super User

Nebur wrote:

Yes, Hellfire X on Unicorn was nice. Now I play with Dtecs and I don't have direct comparison, but I quess they are close. Dtess pips last just longer... :lol:

Nice to hear that Secret Flow Chop worked for you. :up: I tried it also in 1.8 thickness. I played it before in max with Joola CWX blade. Secret Flow Chop with Unicorn didn't work for me. It was surprisingly "quick". Balls took off quite fast from the blade. Harder loops flew too long. Underspin didn't work that well. Smashing was fast and effective though. I think I have wrong kind of shots with thinner sponge.

I also tried old sheet of tibhar super defense 40 soft 1.6. It was kind of easy to play straight game, but spin was missing and it ruined my game. Oh well... :(

So, back to to the (this time boosted) Hurricane 3 Neo max. Results were good. Boosting gave more gears, better feeling, nice and controlled underspin, better ability to take off pace and better smashing, althought at first I wasn't sure if boosting would help. So for now it's clearly the best for Unicorn FH play. :)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2024, 11:40 

Blade: Stiga ALL round
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Grass dtech
Gfs96 wrote:
And about Sanwei Alpha defence in compare with unicorn?

Help?

PostPosted: 29 Feb 2024, 06:36 
Super User

I took these videos from the Monkey-rubber thread and put them here also, because Sebastian Sauer plays there with Unicorn blade.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sebastian plays great, but opponent plays way too soft: no fast shots, no big spins, stands in the wrong corner, inconsistent etc. so play lever difference is just too big. And if the idea is to present the qualities of the monkey rubber, it's not much of a use, because against soft plays any pip will do. When the speed and spin goes up you start to notice properties of a pip better.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2024, 19:37 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Have any of the Unicorn users here also tried the S&T Dominate all blade.

On the Noppen Test forum a few users said it played just as controlled as the Unicorn with OX LP but was a bit faster with better looping capability on the FH.

https://www.noppen-test.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28665

It is the same size blade and should be more or less the same weight as the Unicorn

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2024, 14:17 

Roy wrote:
I took these videos from the Monkey-rubber thread and put them here also, because Sebastian Sauer plays there with Unicorn blade.

[/quote]

Sebastian plays great, but opponent plays way too soft: no fast shots, no big spins, stands in the wrong corner, inconsistent etc. so play lever difference is just too big. And if the idea is to present the qualities of the monkey rubber, it's not much of a use, because against soft plays any pip will do. When the speed and spin goes up you start to notice properties of a pip better.[/quote]

I have the question about why is he using unicorn with monkey in stead of with banana? Do you know about it?

Regards.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2024, 18:11 

some more feedback after playing with it almost entire season.

Unicorn + hellfire x is a fine combination and especially aggresive pushing went very well with this.
However, for me personally, it's too fast when blocking. I miss the real slow sink feeling I had with barricade DEF + palio .. I'm just a bit too inconsistent blocking with this setup.
Mind you, unicorn + hellfire x is still one of the slower combinations when blocking, but for me personally its still too fast :lol: . Great when play aggressively tho