OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Setup advice needed
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 03:30 

Hi,

I’m blocking close to the table and currently playing with Joola CWX with Dornenglanz 3 on it. As a child I played as a classic defender. Recently, I started to play doubles a lot and found myself more and more chopping from mid distance or far from the table. My current setup isn’t really good for long distance chopping. What would you recommend as a versatile setup so it can do both reasonably well. The only thing I don’t want is to switch from OX. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Setup advice needed
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 14:09 
Super User

Hi,

I've never played with the Joola CWX or the DG3.

Here's a few options that work for me

• Tibhar Grass D.tecs
  • Dawei 388D(-1)
  • Cloud & Fog III (I play with 0.5mm)

Of the above-mentioned rubbers, I find the C&F (Defplay Senso V3) to be the liveliest.. Yes, faster than D.tecs (VKMO) too .. The D.tecs OX + VKMO is surprisingly well controlled, both, at & away from the table..

Another rubber, I've tried (a couple of times) is DMS Rebellion OX, and it seems really really nice, away from the table ..

Nowadays, I'm gravitating more towards LPs with a thin (0.5 - 0.7mm) sponge ... Yes, I do lose some reversal, but I feel a thin sponge offers some amount of cushioning against high-impact top-spins, and are a wee bit better for LP attacks ..

As for blades, the following work for me, at & away from the table..

• Donic Defplay Senso V3
  • VKMO
  • Yinhe 987 (Don't own one, but tried it several times, and I plan on getting one in the near future)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 19:58 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
ootbs wrote:
Hi,

I've never played with the Joola CWX or the DG3.

Here's a few options that work for me

• Tibhar Grass D.tecs
  • Dawei 388D(-1)
  • Cloud & Fog III (I play with 0.5mm)

Also suggesting 388D-1. I would say that it is a good all-rounder, offers good disturbance and chops decently; cannot say however if it offers good reversal on passive blocks as I never do this.
It is also quite cheap compared to for example D.tecs.
Bomb Talent is another option but 388D-1 could be a better starting point and less tricky to play with.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2022, 02:58 
Super User

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

Also suggesting 388D-1. I would say that it is a good all-rounder, offers good disturbance and chops decently; cannot say however if it offers good reversal on passive blocks as I never do this.

Yes, 388D-1 is a solid allrounder .. The reversal, on passive blocks, though not the level of D.tecs, is also decent..

I recommend both, 388D and D-1.. Although, I feel 388D, does a better job, chopping away from the table.. On the other hand, I feel 388D-1 is a tad easier to control, and more versatile ..

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

The standard version of 388D, and D-1, are way cheaper.. I'd say, less than half that of D.tecs

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:
Bomb Talent is another option but 388D-1 could be a better starting point and less tricky to play with.

My first recommendation was BT, but then I realized, that it's off the LARC. So, I took it off the above-mentioned list.

388D-1 would indeed be easier to start-off with, since it's easier to control than BT, or even the rest of my recommendations ..

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2022, 22:10 

ootbs wrote:
unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

Yes, 388D-1 is a solid allrounder .. The reversal, on passive blocks, though not the level of D.tecs, is also decent..

I recommend both, 388D and D-1.. Although, I feel 388D, does a better job, chopping away from the table.. On the other hand, I feel 388D-1 is a tad easier to control, and more versatile ..

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

The standard version of 388D, and D-1, are way cheaper.. I'd say, less than half that of D.tecs

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

My first recommendation was BT, but then I realized, that it's off the LARC. So, I took it off the above-mentioned list.

388D-1 would indeed be easier to start-off with, since it's easier to control than BT, or even the rest of my recommendations ..

According to the ITTF LARC for 2022 Bomb Talent is still registered

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2022, 22:10 

ootbs wrote:
unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:

According to the ITTF LARC for 2022 Bomb Talent is still registered

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2022, 21:49 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
@redspot I think you're correct indeed.
https://equipments.ittf.com/#/equipment ... rings/1771

Otherwise I would have needed to switch rubbers :whew: