OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Attacking with Long Pips
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2023, 18:14 

Blade: Sanwei Parla
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Sanwei Dizzy
Hi pimplers,

Recently, I made this video trying to differentiate the levels of attacking with long pips. I’m wondering if it would be possible to get some feedback from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgad0XqD9Ew&t=20s

I’m sure we have here real experts using long pips in this way, and can be so useful for me, to get some ideas for learning.

Thanks in advance and have an amazing 2024.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2024, 12:06 

You make some great videos

But on this video I wish you added all player names & rubber / blades used if you can
I saw Xu Xintong , Aruna Quadri (not long pips) etc but not sure of many others.

BTW I think the player at the end in yellow shirt lost the point (unless this was a para match).
Can anyone tell why (I like to leave it a mystery)

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2024, 12:19 

Diegox wrote:
Hi pimplers,

can be so useful for me, to get some ideas for learning.

I think the biggest key is understanding that your long pip return not only depends of your correct technique but knowing that your return has to eb based on the spin & speed content of the received ball because the long pips bend & behave accordingly. Of course easier said than done. And this is all teh more true with OX (long) pips compared to (long)pips with sponge because you haev to open your racket a lot more in some cases.
This is unlike a spinny inverted where you can overpower & reverse the incoming spin & speed with your own spin & speed or with short pips where you just beat the crap out of the incoming ball with little regard to spin & speed on it as long as most likley you take it on top of the bounce or at the bounce.
You can also smash better with anti than long pips without thinking but so much is involved with long pips attack & shot selection as to when to attack or when to block (or when to chop) is not an easy decision with long pips especially for a low level amateur.

Another thing as with any pips is that your success probaility drops once the ball has crossed the endline on your side especially if the ball is low. So you want to pick balls closer to the net & are also high to increase your success probaility.

But one think I noticed is that once I attack with a flat kill using my OX long pips it rarely came back & even if it did it is a very weak return for me to kill again.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 00:59 

koew wrote:
You make some great videos

But on this video I wish you added all player names & rubber / blades used if you can
I saw Xu Xintong , Aruna Quadri (not long pips) etc but not sure of many others.

BTW I think the player at the end in yellow shirt lost the point (unless this was a para match).
Can anyone tell why (I like to leave it a mystery)

Hi,

Thanks for you feedback, I tried to put the long pips where used in each point but it would be a good idea to put also the names and blades. I will consider it for the next video. Really good appreciations.

About the last point, yes, I also noticed it. Let the people discover why.

Really thankful for your answer.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 01:11 

koew wrote:
Diegox wrote:
Hi pimplers,

can be so useful for me, to get some ideas for learning.

I think the biggest key is understanding that your long pip return not only depends of your correct technique but knowing that your return has to eb based on the spin & speed content of the received ball because the long pips bend & behave accordingly. Of course easier said than done. And this is all teh more true with OX (long) pips compared to (long)pips with sponge because you haev to open your racket a lot more in some cases.
This is unlike a spinny inverted where you can overpower & reverse the incoming spin & speed with your own spin & speed or with short pips where you just beat the crap out of the incoming ball with little regard to spin & speed on it as long as most likley you take it on top of the bounce or at the bounce.
You can also smash better with anti than long pips without thinking but so much is involved with long pips attack & shot selection as to when to attack or when to block (or when to chop) is not an easy decision with long pips especially for a low level amateur.

Another thing as with any pips is that your success probaility drops once the ball has crossed the endline on your side especially if the ball is low. So you want to pick balls closer to the net & are also high to increase your success probaility.

But one think I noticed is that once I attack with a flat kill using my OX long pips it rarely came back & even if it did it is a very weak return for me to kill again.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Actually a think so similar to you. The power of long pips is not the racket, it is the user. Desatinos are basic for playing with those rubbers.

Actually the first video I made about long pips, was about the different kind of spin and how to answer them with long pips OX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYN3hw6W1o&t=94s

Thanks for your great answer, it is so nice to learn from you.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 02:54 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
Mine point of view is: if you want to attack why do you want to use a defensive setup, if you want attack with spin use inverted & if you want to attack with speed use short pips, that's all folks.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 05:59 

merlin el mago wrote:
Mine point of view is: if you want to attack why do you want to use a defensive setup, if you want attack with spin use inverted & if you want to attack with speed use short pips, that's all folks.

Yes you are correct but on a planet on a far away galaxy where
1. Every player has equal forehand and backhand &
2, therefore every player is either only a Ma Long or Johnny Huang & (Joo Saehyuks & Manicka Batras & Deng Yapings don't exist)

Ok all joking aside let me clarify this. The question by DiegoX was as to how to attack with long pips & NOT what are attacking long pips. I realize there is no such thing as attacking long pips (hey a new marketing gimmick idea for manufacturers..............looping long pips...........it is more ridiculous than chopping short pips).
So Marlin, are you saying that Ma Long never lobbed (lob is a defensive stroke) or Johnny Huang NEVER blocked (block is a defensive stroke) ? The question was to as to how to also attack better using long pips NOT exclusively only attack with long pips.
What I meant to say is that no rubber type is used 100% for its intended primary purpose. The primary purpose of inverted & short pips is attack but it is also used sometimes for defensive puposes. In the same vein, long pips (& anti) are indeed defensive rubbers but should also be used for attack if you want to use your racket more effectively overall

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 20:31 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
interesting post but be careful with copyright if you use clips from others peoples videos.

Of course attacking with long pips can mean different things to different folks and of course long pips rubber vary in grip, control and speed so much, that they can play very different and of course there is Ox versus sponge

Curl PH for example with 1mm sponge felt to me when I tried it briefly the other day more like a medium pip.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2024, 21:34 
Super User

Attack with OX LP it's difficult and not efective against skilled players.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 07:34 

merlin el mago wrote:

Hi Merlín,

Thanks for taking the time for answering, this is something that I really appreciate. For sure I respect and read your point of view, mine is that 3 options are valid. As you said: inverted is for changing the spin and give you own spin, for speed short pips are a good option, long pips are for increasing the spin of the ball of removing the spin. This is why I use this rubber for attacking.

Regards.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 07:47 

koew wrote:
merlin el mago wrote:

Yes you are correct but on a planet on a far away galaxy where
1. Every player has equal forehand and backhand &
2, therefore every player is either only a Ma Long or Johnny Huang & (Joo Saehyuks & Manicka Batras & Deng Yapings don't exist)

Ok all joking aside let me clarify this. The question by DiegoX was as to how to attack with long pips & NOT what are attacking long pips. I realize there is no such thing as attacking long pips (hey a new marketing gimmick idea for manufacturers..............looping long pips...........it is more ridiculous than chopping short pips).
So Marlin, are you saying that Ma Long never lobbed (lob is a defensive stroke) or Johnny Huang NEVER blocked (block is a defensive stroke) ? The question was to as to how to also attack better using long pips NOT exclusively only attack with long pips.
What I meant to say is that no rubber type is used 100% for its intended primary purpose. The primary purpose of inverted & short pips is attack but it is also used sometimes for defensive puposes. In the same vein, long pips (& anti) are indeed defensive rubbers but should also be used for attack if you want to use your racket more effectively overall

Actually for continue this interesting discussion that is appearing about my question I would like to go deep in 2 of your appreciations that I think are so interesting and nice to be analyzed:

- I think, how you well explained, there is not such a thing as a defensive rubber, it’s more a rubbers with certain characteristics that habitually are used for defending or attacking. And actually the richness of table tennis is to discover new ways to use those rubbers, as, for example, this new generations of defenders using inverted rubbers for chopping far from the table. All those new ways of using rubbers are the aspects that makes this sport progressing.

- Attacking with a rubber with the characteristics of increasing the spin in stead of changing it is one logical way to use it. You can take a ball that comes with lot of underspin and transform it in a topspin. It is not logic to do it in this way?

Thanks for bringing your valid point to dis healthy discussion. I think all of us learn from there.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 07:55 

ChasFox wrote:
interesting post but be careful with copyright if you use clips from others peoples videos.

Of course attacking with long pips can mean different things to different folks and of course long pips rubber vary in grip, control and speed so much, that they can play very different and of course there is Ox versus sponge

Curl PH for example with 1mm sponge felt to me when I tried it briefly the other day more like a medium pip.

Thanks for answering,

Indeed, I just use them the time it is permitted by low and with out economic interest on them.

About the topic of the different kind of long pips, yo are totally right. I did it this time in general, but for the next time I want to do it for specific kind of long pips. Anyway, nowadays it is so complicated because also if you do just long pips OX each manufacture is processing the pips with different distribution or size or space between they, making the experience with each one, totally different.

Regards.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 07:58 

merlin el mago wrote:
Attack with OX LP it's difficult and not effective against skilled players.

I think you have your point that depends the level and this is why we don’t see many long pips players in the top hundred. But anyway, when I will play in a level like this (if it happens at some point) I will see if for them is difficult or not.

Thanks again for answering.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2024, 21:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

And Xu Xin never chops? :lol:

There's also a fair amount of attacking with long pips in this video:

From an non-expert like me, it seems that you SHOULD be able to attack with long pips if you attack a ball that has a fair amount of backspin on it (as when your opponent chops, especially when they chop or push with the inverted side). And especially if the ball is slightly high. You do it the same way you do a topspin drive with a hardbat - with an open racket face. And you rely on your long pips to convert the incoming backspin to topspin via reversal. You should even be able to do this with frictionless pips, in fact it should work even better with frictionless pips.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2024, 00:02 
Super User

Guys make yourself the answer to this question: how do I do more points with OX long pips, attacking or defending?