OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2024, 14:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In the old days (can't remember exactly when it got banned - around the year 2000 or slightly before) there was this stuff called "Speed Glue". It was very thin glue, you had to pour a huge puddle of it on the sponge, spread it around, wait 10-15 minutes until the sponge expanded and the rubber domed up, and then you'd slap it on the blade. They banned it because the fumes were toxic (some used carbon tetrachloride), and kids were "gluing up" in the bleachers at tournaments. The effect only lasted about 2 hours, and you had to glue up every time you played. You had to remove the rubber after you were playing, too. The glue was expensive, you had to remove the glue buildup every 3-4 sessions, and the rubber only lasted a month or so. But people loved it because it gave you extra speed and spin, and it just "felt good". All of the stuff that came afterwards - the enormously expensive Tensors and other "glue effect" rubbers, boosters, etc. were in response to the ban - they're trying to recreate the "glue effect" without the glue. The advent of water based glues (what a pain in the neck...) was also the result of the ban.

Incidentally, you can still get speed glue (tabletennis11 sells it.. :lol: ) - I'd advise applying it outdoors, and not around anyone who is lighting up a cigarette.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2024, 06:41 

Blade: Sanwei Parla
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Sanwei Dizzy
iskandar taib wrote:
In the old days (can't remember exactly when it got banned - around the year 2000 or slightly before) there was this stuff called "Speed Glue". It was very thin glue, you had to pour a huge puddle of it on the sponge, spread it around, wait 10-15 minutes until the sponge expanded and the rubber domed up, and then you'd slap it on the blade. They banned it because the fumes were toxic (some used carbon tetrachloride), and kids were "gluing up" in the bleachers at tournaments. The effect only lasted about 2 hours, and you had to glue up every time you played. You had to remove the rubber after you were playing, too. The glue was expensive, you had to remove the glue buildup every 3-4 sessions, and the rubber only lasted a month or so. But people loved it because it gave you extra speed and spin, and it just "felt good". All of the stuff that came afterwards - the enormously expensive Tensors and other "glue effect" rubbers, boosters, etc. were in response to the ban - they're trying to recreate the "glue effect" without the glue. The advent of water based glues (what a pain in the neck...) was also the result of the ban.

Incidentally, you can still get speed glue (tabletennis11 sells it.. :lol: ) - I'd advise applying it outdoors, and not around anyone who is lighting up a cigarette.. :lol:

Iskandar

Thanks for you answer and what they boosters mentioned are. I read here that Chinese team use them in Hurricane 3. Is it legal and what is it?

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2024, 17:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The ITTF commissioned a study on what's in them - they're generally long chain alkanes - long enough to be oils and non-volatile, but not long enough to be waxes. So for the most part (except for one of the four samples) pretty innocuous in terms of health. Their effect on rubber is more or less the same as the solvents in speed glue, just that it takes longer, and lasts longer (weeks instead of hours) - it causes rubbers to swell and soften.

Yes, they're technically illegal since it's illegal to modify rubbers after they leave the factory. But they're also widely used, if you believe the scuttlebutt. In fact, the rubbers some people use would be unusable at that level of play without the use of boosters. The problem is that the tests they conduct during racket testing can't detect boosters. Not to mention other rubbers (which people don't boost) are treated with very similar chemicals at the factory (again, if you believe the scuttlebutt), so any test that detects boosters people apply will also catch these other rubbers.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2024, 21:11 

iskandar taib wrote:
The ITTF commissioned a study on what's in them - they're generally long chain alkanes - long enough to be oils and non-volatile, but not long enough to be waxes. So for the most part (except for one of the four samples) pretty innocuous in terms of health. Their effect on rubber is more or less the same as the solvents in speed glue, just that it takes longer, and lasts longer (weeks instead of hours) - it causes rubbers to swell and soften.

Yes, they're technically illegal since it's illegal to modify rubbers after they leave the factory. But they're also widely used, if you believe the scuttlebutt. In fact, the rubbers some people use would be unusable at that level of play without the use of boosters. The problem is that the tests they conduct during racket testing can't detect boosters. Not to mention other rubbers (which people don't boost) are treated with very similar chemicals at the factory (again, if you believe the scuttlebutt), so any test that detects boosters people apply will also catch these other rubbers.

Iskandar

Wow so interesting topic. Actually I found this interesting information about Chinese Team using boosters:

https://youtu.be/WKa3pnzTFpY?si=93sZW2TONyNppl8C

In the minutes 10:49 they explain about it.

Thanks again for answering

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2024, 04:47 

Blade: DONIC Defplay Senso V3
FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm
BH: TSP SpinpipsChop II 1.4mm
iskandar taib wrote:
Falik wrote:

You can only use rubbers that ittf approves, some pimples are commonly being cured and sold online, i do have some names in my head here: dawei 388d-1, magician i/ii, saviga v and some more, that would be easier to check by the referees... Like for example, if im using a saviga v pimplez the referee would send my racket to some kind of inspecion or something similar. I dont Want to ban all of these rubbers, i want the cured versions to be banned.

Here's one.. :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006058764637.html

Make sure you buy the "cured" version. It's supposedly frictionless, or almost so, according to the ad.

Iskandar
This "cured" or not "cured" is not in the ITTF list. So it is banned from official games.

@work setup: blade: Yinhe 980 | FH: Yinhe Mercury2 2.1mm | BH: Yinhe Neptune 0.7mm
to-be-used setup: blade: DONIC DefPlay Senso 3 | FH: YASAKA Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: TSP SpinPips Chop 2 1.4mm

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2024, 19:05 

true, but many, well almost everyone, never checks beyond the ITTF logo. At least not until at least semi-professional leagues.

I'm pretty certain if i used this in my local class nobody would bat an eye. Nobody checks LARC.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2024, 08:09 

Nebur wrote:
true, but many, well almost everyone, never checks beyond the ITTF logo. At least not until at least semi-professional leagues.

I'm pretty certain if i used this in my local class nobody would bat an eye. Nobody checks LARC.

Yes, this is why I said that this is about the referees and organisers of tournament to check it out.

But most important, the opponent have to be the first one to notice and informe it.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2024, 19:45 

seems to be a kokutaku 911 rubber btw.. which was removed from LARC in 2021
explains the ITTF logo. They used to be approved until ten

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2024, 20:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The Old Man Jiang rubber? Heck, no.. that's NEVER been on the LARC. :lol: I'm not even convinced Kokutaku has anything to do with it. I think the person selling it added the Kokutaku logo to the photos in the ad - I don't think it's anywhere on the rubber or on the packaging.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2024, 20:45 

iskandar taib wrote:
The Old Man Jiang rubber? Heck, no.. that's NEVER been on the LARC. :lol: I'm not even convinced Kokutaku has anything to do with it. I think the person selling it added the Kokutaku logo to the photos in the ad - I don't think it's anywhere on the rubber or on the packaging.

Iskandar

No, is the 911 tulpe rubber. Seen from comments on aliexpress. just the packaging is this

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2024, 21:32 

Nebur wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

No, is the 911 tulpe rubber. Seen from comments on aliexpress. just the packaging is this

And the brand let it being sold like this?