OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bomb talent?
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 02:25 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Quote:
Can I ask if your instinctive blocks are going into the net?

I haven't found that they go into the net that much, no.

Let me ask you a few things about the technique you're describing: is it geared toward putting away underspin, topspin, no-spin or does it not matter? Also, it seems that what you're describing should work well close to the net, but does it work from further back as well? (I'm not talking about two feet back from the table or anything like that; I just mean near the end of the table.) Also, do you ever move your paddle slightly sideways in either direction when you do this shot, or is it always just forward and down?

(My coach is also someone whose opinion I generally trust, because he was the 10th ranked player in the U.S. at one point, with victories over Dan Seemiller among others, and he plays with pips often (he uses different combination paddles), so he knows what he's talking about, and I'm sure I just need to fiddle with my technique a bit to get it right, but your coach's approach seems like a different way of accomplishing the same thing -- or perhaps, as you suggested, of accomplishing a slightly different goal -- and, in any event, I don't see any harm in trying it and seeing how it works for me, so I'm very appreciative of your description. If I can do both, so much the better.))

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 13:27 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
I would suggest that the best way to illustrate the technique is to demonstrate it with a video, I for one have a tough time understanding the descriptions.
Chris, our forum member AA seems to punch the ball at the highest point (look at his thumb position) similar to what you suggested, am I correct?
Sounds to me there are certainly several kinds of techniques how to execute an attack with a LP, mine is different than yours, I tried but I can't do what you have described. However, I can attack most short balls to almost any spot I want, I especially like the done the line shot, by flicking at the bottom of the blade, holding horizontally. I never did have a coach, I experimented using the robot first and then try them out with live practice partners, namely, George and Eric.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 14:59 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I also tried the semi-vertical smash technique tonight, and it repeatedly sailed on me. Perhaps it's because I use sponge, while you play OX, Chris? Maybe I need to take it lower on my paddle to make it work. Not sure. I'll keep trying.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 18:11 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
I also tried the semi-vertical smash technique tonight, and it repeatedly sailed on me. Perhaps it's because I use sponge, while you play OX, Chris? Maybe I need to take it lower on my paddle to make it work. Not sure. I'll keep trying.

Not sure Chris referred to this as a 'smash' technique ..... and your use of the word immediately makes me assume you are using lots of forearm in some way; which may or may not be true ?

This semi-vertical bat position (bat tip at north west for RH) is fairly standard for two strokes - the 'punch' and the 'slap' (whether you use pips or not). On both of these strokes you cock the wrist backwards only with tip of bat at north west ...... do not cock wrist back and down as this is the start position for roll or topspin.

For the 'punch' you basically keep wrist in this position (but relaxed) and punch forward just like a jab in boxing i.e. drive forward with upper arm. For the 'slap' you mainly use the wrist .... snapping it from backwards to forwards keeping the 'bat tip up' position (do not turn wrist over). The 'slap' is just like giving someone a slap with the back of you hand so the forearm action is shortish and works around the elbow joint with a stable but relaxed upper arm. On both shots elbow needs to be down and you need to take the ball early / on the rise at net height if possible (timing and footwork are still key).

This might help but words are so inadequate compared to a demonstration or video. The above is for stroke against drive, topspin or no spin ball.

I just noticed your other thread where you are discussing stroke against backspin ball. This is different again and I'll ignore here ..... the key on the BH is learning to use the wrist correctly; its not easy and it takes time ..... most of the strange variants of BH you see stem from people unable / given up learning to use their wrist.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 22:50 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Thanks, Fiveplyian. Will keep trying.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2009, 23:02 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
fiveplyian wrote:
This might help but words are so inadequate compared to a demonstration or video. The above is for stroke against drive, topspin or no spin ball.

Anyone here know of video examples showing this technique in action?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 08:16 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

I tried to do as suggested, but failed miserably. However, attacking the balls like I used to do, using wrist flick, works like a charm. I think I will just stick to what I can do best and forget about adding more weapons to what is already working for me.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:27 

mynamenotbob wrote:
fiveplyian wrote:

I guess Carl Prean used this technique quite well :) Some videos can be found on youtube. Nice demonstration is also at old Hallmark DVD with Carl Prean.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:51 
The Twiddler

Guys,

I've got some more coaching next Monday, so I will attempt to get someone to film me playing this shot. Hopefully it'll clear up some of the questions if my descriptions weren't good enough. As they say, a picture says a thousand words, so hopefully a video will say even more :)

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:20 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
muf wrote:
I guess Carl Prean used this technique quite well :) Some videos can be found on youtube. Nice demonstration is also at old Hallmark DVD with Carl Prean.

Oh wow! So you have to get really low to do the shot? Prean bends excruciatingly low!

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 06:22 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

I did try to punch block as suggested this morning with the robot serving medium top/side spin, The punch block shot did make most of the ball, fast and dead balls to the other side. However, I also had quite a few that sails tong and of corse, some down into the net.

My problem is, I can attack this sort of serves with my normal wrist flip already, should I spend time learning a new way of attacking the same type of balls or should be better optimize my current stroke?

Chris, I for one would really love to see your video of executing the stroke, just to make sure that I interpret it correctly, thanks.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 09:32 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
muf wrote:

Oh wow! So you have to get really low to do the shot? Prean bends excruciatingly low!

I saw this on his DVD, and tried it in practice and couldn't get the timing right. It looks very effective, but what discouraged me from persevering was the fact that on the DVD the commentator stated Prean was the only person known in the world who could effectively use this shot!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 22:46 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
gave my Bomb Talent another try last week and I just have too many issues against dead balls with it.. Otherwise it's pretty good but when playing other long pips players or anti players who give me a lot of dead balls, I had issues with it.. For blocking or hitting against chop, I like the rubber a lot but just against dead balls, it bombs..

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 01:07 

muf wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
fiveplyian wrote:

Carl Prean a good example of the 'punch' as has been suggested. He seems to use the punch a lot and does it very quickly helping disguise. Not sure he slapped using wrist a huge amount .... what he did do is use a fast roll from wrist which, mixed in with his fast punch, gave a lot of disguise ...... plus the unbelievable twiddling :D

Haruna Fukuoka uses tip up, wristy 'slaps' a fair bit; particularly when not playing the best Chinese oppposition ....... watch her against Pota or Kim Kyung Ah. Still a lot of disguise going on so she can hit solid or across the ball. Against Zhang Yining for example she will be more on defensive and use chop block more.

Deng Yaping and that style female players ... Mikie Tasei, Dvorak use slap / punch counters (Youtube) with sponge long pips ....

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7342

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2009, 18:01 
The Twiddler

I'm training tonight so I'll get my team-mate to film me playing and I'll get it uploaded this week. Hopefully it'll show the shot my coach is training me!

Pushblocker - I would say that BT works with dead balls as long as you change the shot you use to deal with these. Generally speaking, I will try to either flick or aggressively push a dead ball and play it deep into their body with pace.

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 29  Next