OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 04:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2009, 16:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Marathon Man wrote:
I tried the Meteorite ox yesterday on a Defense Plus Tibhar blade and really enjoyed it. I am a mid distance chopper and I tried it against the n°682 in the french ranking.
As Haggisv stated, it requires little adjustement to

This long pips has a very good spin reversal when chopping away from the table and my opponent had trouble topspinning the 2d or 3rd ball.
Blocking is good, really good too, and the blocked ball gets some kind of wobbling effect; I also noticed that when blocking the ball is not boucing a lot but rather skidding/ slipping on the table which makes it hard for the opponent to play a stroke.

Short game is super enjoyable as control with this pips is great; you can "work the angles" and play real short without any problems.

As it is not very sensitive to incoming spin (unlike the Xiying which is hard to control and a bit too slow) I had no problems returning serves and could place the ball where I wanted : short, long, right or left.... I could play passively or on the contrary taking the initiative with an attack; quite effective.
I felt at ease returning serves whereas the Xiying is a real pain in the a.. when it comes to controlling high spin serves.

The Meteorite is a really really good long pips rubber for the player who plays on the 3 different "areas" (at the table, 1 meter from the table, away from the table). It's really versatile and gives a huge confidence right from the start.
This rubber really shines when you chop as the spin reversal is really strong.
It really shines when chopping away from the table; that's what I dig on doing and Meteorite is one of the best for this.

I played the 979 Xiying for one season and switch in June for the Saviga V which I played with for 1 season previously. So far on my Tibhar blade Saviga worked quite well but Meteorite is really good too. I still have to test the Se7en block and then I will have to choose between :
Saviga V - Se7en Block - Meteorite - Lion Claw (tried it yesterday prior to Meteorite but with a 0.5mm sponge and it's way too fast for me so I remove the sponge and will try it next week).
Until yesterday the Saviga was my choice (as it's insensitive to incoming spin) but now that I've heard my partner say that the pips I play are extremely disturbing, I am hesitating.....
FYI, Giant Dragon will issue a new long pips call Giant Long which is said to be very dangerous.

Great review, thanks Marathon man!

I've got a sample of the new Giant Dragon LP already, but have not had a chance to try it yet...

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 00:11 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
@haggisv- some people in germany are burning to find out what its like... :)

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 00:31 
The French ConnecTTion

People in Germany can order it directly at : http://www.ttdd.de

Blade : TSP Toccata Carbon Def
FH : Shark II 33° 2mm Black
BH : Octopus Ox red

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2009, 10:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

AA wrote:
@haggisv- some people in germany are burning to find out what its like... :)

OK, I'll glue it on my bat, and will try to have a go this weekend. I can send it onto you afterwards if it sounds interesting...

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 16:48 
Super User

@haggis/alex- did you try it yet? would be interesting to know if its similar to the meteorite in having very little friction, speed and how it reacts to spin

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 19:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Oops, sorry, didn't get around to it.

I've just out it onto a FW+ blade, with the Meteorite red OX and the Giant Long red OX on the other for comparison, and tested against my robot.

In all my test, I did not not find any major differences between the 2. The Giant long seems to have a little better reversal and seems slightly slower, but seems similar in other aspects.

I'll be happy to send it down for you to try if you're still interested?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2009, 20:28 
Super User

sure, i`d be glad to try it.. ;)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 18:59 
Super User

I have come back to the Meteorite after trying the DTecs for a while. The DTecs is definitely the most disturbing rubber I have tried both for my opponents and myself, however I noticed that good players are not troubled by it, so I decided to go back to something that offers more predictability and control.
With the DTecs I was loosing too many points just pushing over the table, I would land too many balls in the net.
The Meteorite seems to do everything well and the spin reversal is decent. Interestingly you can actually chop the ball over the table and impart some backspin to the ball (and that is with a stiff blade!). I have never been able to do that with another LP before. (You have to really graze the ball right on the south pole, and be careful, but it is doable.)
It seems to perform the side sweep particularly well and hitting, lifting, rolling is as good if not better than the DTecs.
Balls that are hit stay very low and hardly bounce.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2009, 21:55 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I'm still using the Meteorite Lp .5 sponge I think? and so far since using it I won 8of 9 singles and 6 of 6 Doubles, My opposition tends to have real trouble with thier timeing so all good (Ive got some champs to go into tommorow so that will test me more) I still need to attack more and not just hold my bat there lol

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 23:20 
Super User

Some more impressions after training. The control is really up there amongst the best. I felt very comfortable away from the table as well as at the table.
There is some inversion but nothing too tricky.
Chops are nice and controlled, and keeping them low and tight isn't difficult. At the table ball placement is excellent with the added bonus of being able to attack.
This rubber is not disturbing like the DTecs, so you need to create your own spin, but at least the control is very good, and a good weapon to setup a FH kill.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2009, 02:16 
Liquid Evil Chopper

I havent read this thread til now, and the reason I'm reading it is that I was on the receiving end earlier today hitting against fattchoi. Against fattchoi's various BH setup (SP, LP and anti), I don't usually have any major issue when using my own LP to chop/push. Today's different though - alot of my LP shots reacted "badly" against Meteorite. Havent come across a LP quite like this one. :shock:

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 08:01 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

:lol: Indeed. For once, every time I chop block to Beer Belly's BH TSP P1R, I can confidently relax and not needed to do anything because he will almost always put it long :P In the past, with my other BH rubbers, his return with the P1R always land nicely. Mind you, I am still trying to get use to this Meteorite as it is my first OX lp. I am still having a bit of trouble with my rpb loop but when I do get it right, it has a nice low arc :D I must say that the Meteorite is surprisingly fast given that it is an OX. Almost as fast as my 1.2mm Octopus!

By the way, I love the glue sheet that comes attached to the OX rubber. Makes it very easy to attach to my blade :D Very sticky though so hopefully, won't lift any splinters when it is time for me to remove the rubber. My blade is very well sealed so should be OK, I hope. I wonder if the sponged version also comes with the glue sheet as well?

Cheers.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 09:28 
Super User

@fattchoi- i strongly recommend gluing the sheet or the blade with (speed)glue! the sheet is very sticky and it will probably tear off splinters off your wood...gluing another layer between wood and the sticky covering will probably help.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2009, 10:13 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

AA, too late. I have already glued the rubber to my blade. Oh well, when the time comes, I will say a long prayer before I try and peel off the rubber. I will bear your advice in mind next time I use a glue sheet again. Mind you, I did seal the back of my blade with a glossy varnish. And I did seal it quite well such that the face is glossy. So I might just get off scot free.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 21:13 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

opps I used the glue sheet for this rubber as well Im not sure what sponge I bought it in but I think a .5 ? if that sounds right .

I play a close to the table short game and I seldom chop back from the table

Anyhow I have been getting better and better at returning fast top spin serves by using just with a normal type inverted block, It is giving me great confidence as I was a bit pokky before also I can attack most chop spin serves with a med flick or a more topspin shot thus sending the ball fast down the line.
The other attribute to this rubber with a thin sponge is I can backhand counter rally fairly easily (big suprise for me) and when and If I get get 3 in a row thier next shot is often dumped low.
I have been trying some higher throw serves and using the express first and then using the Meteorite next (and then twiddle back ready for my nearly 150km smash lol)

I also found that when I used OX with my Joola KOOL it made a loud TOCK noice so it could easy for my opposition to notice if I tried the twiddle serve

Now that I can spell "meteorite" I must update my signature

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms