OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2014, 16:15 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Ok. So I was playing at a tournament, and I push decently well with my long pip but found thin sponge vs backspin limiting to a push or sidewipe.

I've been considering going thicker sponge to be able to make a small amount of backspin possible vs backspin.

I use a victas koji matsushita.

I have used p4 0.6 before and have tried all kinds of p1r up to 1.2

Should I pick p4 for this type of shot? or p1r in 1.5?

I think more sponge will make this possible, but may be more difficult to control. I'd still like to chop fast loops, but I want to be able to execute this shot rather easily. From my memory p4 in 0.6 did this with a quick stroke under the ball, but it's been about a half year since I tried p4.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 09:58 
Super User

I think the grippiest pips in 0.5 are enough to produce backspin on pushes... expecially on a blade such as the VKM... in fact, i can assure you every sort of spin can be produced with p4 0.5 on VKM, and i'm i'm a really bad player :D
Best outh there are of course p4 and FIII, but i could make some spin even with p1 0.5... i'm going to try FLII on it so i'll tell you soon how does it work ;)

With more sponge spin is better... i remember p1-r 1.5 was able to produce a decent even on dead balls! :rock: But the rubber change drastically with the sponge... it's speed change, it's spin sensitivity changes, his inversion drops... you have really to change your strokes with high sponged pips!

I remember the octopus as a pip with good reversal but not much grip (expecially on that rock sponge...)
I think the less traumatic change for you could be P1 0.5... similar hardness to octopus but slower (more dead) and grippier... the other pips in 0.5 like P4 and feintIII would be much more mushy and spin sensitive compared to octopus, even if they produce more backspin...
Otherwise, i GUESS p1 1 mm should produce about the same spin as p4 0.5...

The problem is that every pip you change really requires much time and trainng to adapt to it, so you have to be carefull whan you decide to change... and every pip tends to have very good things and very bad things, so you keep changing in the end...

Maybe another solution is twiddling to create heavy backspin??

Cheers

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 10:28 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I had used p1r 0.5 for years. p1r 1.2 was actually great but very fast in speed so maybe I should revisit p4 in 0.6.
I like the low chops that p1r 1.2 produces and the chop vs backspin is fairly good, but against a big loop I always felt more comfortable in the 0.6 sponge.

I may also check out that new Darker long pip for fun depending on the price.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2014, 17:20 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
I played the P4 in 1,0 and 1,5 mm and the P1r in 1,5 mm. For me it's easier to generate backspin with the 1,5 mm P4. There is quite a difference between P4 1,5mm and 1,0 mm. So i think the difference between P4 0,5 and 1,5mm will be even bigger.