OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Stranger
PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 06:47 
Super User

Ive just tried stranger in 1.2mm red on my forehand and wow what a great rubber. Im not experienced with long pimples as i have played with medium pimples, palio for a long time. I had great control and the blocks and counter hits worked very well. I still need to practice the hits/lift on chopped balls particular when receiving serves but i really am impressed with this rubber

Post subject: Re: Stranger
PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 09:14 

Ack! I'm tempted to try it ! I've got sponged version red and black still new but cant seem to get away from my Dtecs

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 07:27 
Super User

Would you say dtecs is easy to use with good control. Also i love to flat hit and counter attack and stranger is great in this respect not tried dtecs is it good in attack?

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 07:58 

TTnightmare wrote:
Would you say dtecs is easy to use with good control. Also i love to flat hit and counter attack and stranger is great in this respect not tried dtecs is it good in attack?

Dtecs is notorious for being hard to "tame" It's one of the reasons I stayed away from it for the longest time despite it having a great reputation as one of the most disturbing and effective pips. However, I found it very easy to control in my game as I'm primarily a chopper from mid distance or chop block close or push . Attacking with it I have difficulty but I've never developed that shot before anyways and still learning. I don t have porblems with it on a slow blade as it usually lands on the table. Now it either goes just over the net or really high but I dont have a problem with that either as it entices opponent to hit a loop/drive which I prefer.

Experimental Blade : Victas Koji Matushista Def : TSP Curl P1r LP .6 sponge : Giant Dragon Submarine Chop

My Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=25085

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 09:28 
Super User

Dont think dtecs is for me. Might try the ox version of stranger! Does anyone know how this will differ to the 1.2 mm version

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014, 14:55 

TTnightmare wrote:
Dont think dtecs is for me. Might try the ox version of stranger! Does anyone know how this will differ to the 1.2 mm version

a complete nightmare to take out of the package and to mount it to the blade. :swear: :swear:

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 08:35 
Super User

Once on the blade how does it play compared to the 1.2mm sponge version

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2014, 22:25 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
Are you talking about KTL Stranger or KTL Stranger Attack?

They have different sponges. The attack sponge is a hard sponge.

I played with the .8 Attack and 0X. I liked 0X better because the attacks were "crisper". Maybe its just my stroke. I do a mudflat attack against underspin balls, and also loop underspin balls. The mudflat attack shot needs to be hard and fast and crisp to be lethal, and otherwise it doesn't work.

What didn't work well enough with the 0X was pushing. I like lots of spin reversal on my pushes, and KTL Stranger is a grippy pip, so blocks and pushes don't get a lot of reversal.

I'm another one that keeps going back to Dtechs. I hate the price and hate that it doesn't last, but for me it wins more points and games.

BTW, KTL Stranger 0X was no different to put on a blade than any other 0X long pips. I usually get someone to help, and don't have problems.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2014, 09:02 
Super User

Its the attack version. Am i right in thinking the 1.2 version will be easier to flat hit but the .8 version will cause more problems for the opponent ?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2014, 12:54 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
Stranger is a grippy pip. That means is doesn't get much spin reversal, even 0X. I did play with 1.2 attack briefly, as well as .8 attack, and the 0X. The thing I remember most about the 1.2 was that it made my paddle pretty heavy, and my attacks with the sponge were very tame and easy to return. That could well be a problem with my stroke, not the rubber. I was able to attack well with the 0X, similar to how I hit with the Dtechs, but my pushes had little reversal, so they didn't work right, and that was costing me too many points.

In all honesty, if your attacks are landing on the table, and nobody is returning them, then I'd just stick with it.

Dtechs is not easy to control at all by comparison, but it generates very ugly balls for your opponent.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2014, 06:36 
Super User

Thanks. Its a real shame there isnt a rubber somewhere between stranger and dtecs. !!!