OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Review of C8
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 16:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'll be testing the C8 shortly, and will report results here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 19:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

First impressions: The pimple are quite firm and stiff, a lot more than the other DHS LP Cloud & Fog III. Pimple are fairly tall and skinny, probably close to maximum aspect ratio. It has a 1mm orange sponge, which feels quite firm.

The pimple feel quite grippy when you run your finger over them The sheet looks of good quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007, 21:16 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

My initial impression of this sheet from a DHS 4* premade would be similar to yours:

- grippy against hand and ball when run over
- the surface allows for little to some spin to be generated

But I had the ball falling out (stalled) of the bat when using inverted loop strokes. I had to push and chop to put the ball in play.

I have not have much impressions playing the sheet, for I'm currently still breaking-in my Globe 999 Nat. Take my opinions with some salt, for I'm still learning to play long pips. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 04:06 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Well Speedplay is semi-pro, so if he's still learning where will it end? :shock:

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007, 20:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I testing the C8 red 1.0mm on my Stiga Energy wood today. My main comparison is to my favourite Galaxy 955 0.6mm, on the same same blade.

In general this rubber has very good control, despite the fact that it had a 1.0mm sponge.

Return of serve:
Control was good, was a little sensitive to incoming spin, but not bad at all. The spin reversal is not great on this, it produces more of a dead ball, but the control allowed good placement, and the grip allowed me to keep it real low. Against topspin a quick block was quite easy to and with good control. Against backspin, attacking was harder, it felt a little too fast, probably due to the stiffer pip and harder sponge.

Generate spin:
I did not feel I could generate a lot of spin with this rubber, the pimples are a little stiff and the sponge quite firm, so I don't think it's the best for this. Still as a fake this is not so bad. There WAS enough grip to keep no-spin balls low though, so it's still a fairly grippy pip.

Blocking against loops:
This is where this rubber really shines... the control was fantastic, better than any I've tried so far. It had a bit of a dead feel on passive blocks, so I had little trouble keeping my blocks on the table. Hitting the ball more aggressively worked very well too. The bat must be closed a little, and a forward movement is required, and this could produce fairly fast balls with decent sink...very effective.

Chopping against loops:
This rubber offered good control for this as well, but not as good as the 955. I feel the 1.0mm sponge certainly contributed to this, a 0.6mm would almost certainly improve this control. Spin reversal was very good, and I could certainly very the spin quite well, but I had more trouble keeping the ball on the table.

With the 1.0mm sponge I feel this rubber is great for blockers, and offers good attacking abilities. It has good control in most aspects of the game, and enough control for some effective chopping, but it excels close to the table. The sponge probably contributes as much to this as the pimples do.

If I've left out any parts of this review, please let me know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 05:42 

Thanks for the review haggisv, I have just purchased a sheet of C8 in 1.0mm. I should receive it next week. I am looking forward to trying it out.

I was looking for a long pimple that could still chop, but is good for blocks and attacks. Here`s hoping it works for me !

Iantt

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 10:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That was lucky! Hope it work for you, let us know how you find it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 21:47 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

haggisv wrote:
If I've left out any parts of this review, please let me know...

How would you rate the grippiness of C8 compared to other Chinese rubbers?

Are C8 pips softer or harder than 388D-1 ? 955? etc.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 22:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The pips of the C8 are stiifer and harder than both of those, and so is the sponge. The 388D-1 ihas quite soft pips, the 955 about medium, the C8 is getting firmer again...but the pips still bend on impact... just takes a little more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 01:31 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
HAggis how would you compare the stiffness of C8 to 979?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2008, 07:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

C8 pips would be stiffer. 979 pips are quite soft from memory, but shorter and thinner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2008, 23:55 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Actually I think the 979 is quite stiff, and now I have the C8, yes I would say they are definitely stiffer though as they are thicker.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject: Re: Review of C8
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 22:30 
Super User

Hello,

As I'm currently enjoy to build up the first paddle for my daughter, I wanted to have a feedback between the
Long pimple DHS C8 vs DHS Cloud & Fog III.
The expected blade will be a Chen Weixing or something similar. (DEF/ALL)

I've an Medium Pips Juic Masterspin Special 1.5 but I can't block with it (everything goes in the net)... so even for an amusing backup bat I can't use it for fun ! So I prefer to not stick this rubber for my child.
I've still had not understand the way to use it... LP is more simple if I remind my first setup.

Thanks for your help.

Brahms

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011, 04:47 
Super User

Haggisv,
You should try C8 OX!
I,ve found that it was true what some chinese said - almost trickiest LP along with DTech OX but better control!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011, 06:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
zoran was that a red sheet,i tried a black ox and it was nothing special in fact the red with 1.0 sponge had more effects