OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2009, 13:50 

MeowMeow630 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Firstly, very sorry for my late reply, I was having a hectic week fighting fire at office.
I also want to thank you all for sharing your valuable experiences and skills. Thank you very much.

I have very limited replies to the LP players' weapons, as i have problems in identifying spins created by the long pips. I had to keep thinking it is the reversal... but somehow or rather, it was always a 50% guessing game. Some examples are: I kept whacking balls out although they are well over the net. This could be attributed to the very little or no spin nature of the blocks i get from LP. This uncertainty always turned into lack of confidence as more and more mistakes surfaced... :(

The other big problem i encounter is that i was always put into a circumstance of playing to the LP players' rhythm and speed. I was being controlled and I could not pull away from this and execute my own game easily.

Pushblocker has a given some very detailed strategies to use. Thanks bro! I will try to use these strategies.. and I think i will spend a long time to play at your level.

Bogeyhunter and Kees said that there is no single fixed way to play against LP Players. I agree. I believe it is also the level of the player we are in question when he plays against the LP player too. I still do believe that on a fair day and same skill level, aggressive play wins defensive. I think i have to work on observing how players play using different brands of rubbers. This really requires some serious research... takes time.

At this moment, I need to work on playing more carefully and work on placement and control for all my strokes in other to play the LP Player. I do hope this is a natural development for me... due to my less than effective strategies I have presently against a LP player.

I was advised by some friends on switching LP. Basically, they opened my views towards the game in totality cos i'm using penhold...c-pen both side rubber, rpb. Which may be too taxing for me in time to come.. 36yr old already.. seems like the TT table gets bigger as the year goes by.. :(
I am open to the idea of switching to use LP in order to add a more all rounded defensive dimension to my game, perhaps it will be useful to regulate the speed and to set up for some useful attacks. Well, if it is useful and good... why reject?

That is an idea that i'm always open to if cannot harness any effective game using my present set-up.
So now, I'm giving myself a last chance for myself. :)

Thanks again for sharing your valuable experiences, I have benefited a lot from you guys!
And lastly, I hope to have the chance to meet up with you guys for a game!!
But disclaimer: I really suck at playing LP now... and i do not wish to win by boring you to death.. haha..

Thanks bros!!

Best Regards

Stanley

Stanley

Thats good information, thanks. It sounds like a very good LP player you were up against as it seems he was able to dictate the game and what you could/could not do. Does it feel like if you try something to change the game, he was always a few steps ahead and you are always playing catch up? Maybe you can share some of his traits and game so that others can offer more specific advice. As for trying LP, there is no harm trying?

Cheers!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 19:34 

speedplay wrote:
There seems to be a conception that LP reverse the spin.

The same goes against a push, a LP block back is likely to carry some amount of topspin (very little) but if the LP player choose to push it back, the ball will most likely carry back spin.

Yes but not much, certainly not enough to stop a loopdriver putting the pip player on the back foot. There simply is not enough friction to reverse the spinning axis of a heavily chopped incoming ball to the pips. Try looping with LP's, the principle is the same, whilst a semblance of spin can be attained when brush looping a backspun ball (the spinning axis remains the same only the direction of the ball changes) counter looping with Lp's is impossible, there is not enough friction to 'hold' the incoming topspin at the correct closed fatface angle, the ball will simply drop off.
I've never liked the term 'spin reversal' in connection with LP's, It confuses players in to thinking that the rubber reverses the spin when infact it does not, the spinning axis remains the same only the direction of the ball changes and the perception of 'reversal' is only for the player playing the preceding shot.

Just a thought, if the new breed of Lp's have as much friction as reverse rubber, there would be no point using them, they would not control topspin by sending a loopers spin back as chop.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 21:14 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Quote:
Also, by feeding a LP player no spin ball,

yes but what is no spin?
is it a flatish push that is easy to see?
or a pretending chop by hitting closer to the handle (less bat speed and spin)
or a soft smack,
or a hard smash
or a fast serve using bat speed and little spin?
or is it all of the above strokes to create a mistake? (remember we all havn't got anti ! lol)

Ill tell you another option of playing against a LP player (or one who wants most shots to come to thier backhand) is attack thier forehand, at least you can understand the spin and then smack it at thier backhand whenever they are out of position or you have a more composed shot

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:00 

Hihi,

Yep guys, I was consistently playing good players who play Long Pips.
I tried out some suggestions, some worked, some are not for me.

Perhaps I'm playing in Singapore... most players here are strongly influenced by the Chinese playing styles. Even LP players, who are supposed to be playing more on the defensive style here are playing at a certain amount of attack. And they are very capable of using LP to irritate you and make you play out of your style.
We have shakehanders and penholders playing LP too. Technique wise, I feel it is more varied and can be complicated compared to the European or USA.

I'm not sure if Pushblocker had such players back at home? I saw his video clip and his LP style is rather unique or not the standard kind for shakehanders (well, at least to me.. my humble opinions). All the shakehander LP players I played before don't employ his style.. But if it works for Pushblocker, then it is good for him. One man's meat is another man's poison I guess.. haha.. anyway, there is no such thing as a fixed way to play.... Perhaps the people I met are more aggressive on the forehand side, in which they either use pip-in to drive very fast when they see the opportunity to attack, or they twiddle over to LP to attack on forehand. they are much more like flicks and brushing using LPs. But all are very accurate. LP players can be the most accurate and most calculated. thinking attacking players you see out there. And we have Lp players well at the national level. :(

I recently had the chance to play with the NUS (National University of Singapore) women's team. (yes women's team... enough to kill already..) I played with 4 different players on singles, I won 3 and lost to the last girl, who used LP.

Sharing my experience with you, she is not the best LP player in her team, but definitely not a pussy.... Her strokes on her LP are very deceptive and stable, she can vary between spin and no spin using the same stroke, by varying her grip strength on her fingers.
On her forehand side, she can twiddle between LP and Pips -in for her attacks. (she doesn't just block the baby shots off the LPs on forehands i tell u... if i can put it on video, it will look definitely different from the way Pushblocker plays in his video clips.. ) She played not a single baby ball in her game... and she will attack strongly when she sees any off balanced stroke.
This is one feisty little girl whacking at least 6 different styles using LP against me. And of course, I'm pushed around like a clown .. running all over the shop.. haha..
The final verdict: I lost by 2 notches to her.

Got flattened by a girl half my age using an innocent looking LP ..hahha.. and I was rather embarrassed, and she looked too cute for me to be angry with her..haha. All smiles after that.. haha..
Her coach was happy, she was happy, I was happy too. Great workout! :p

I regretted not bringing a video cam to record it down... but it is definitely unlike how Pushblocker did it in his clips.... not so single dimensioned at least. She surely did more different attacking styles using LP.
I'm not sure what rating she has... perhaps a 4800?? (if they have this high..haha.. )
And I only played a girl half my age, not the best in her team.. I CANNOT IMAGINE how well Deng Ya Ping plays her LP game... I saw her clips.. she was flicking her backhand so damn fast, I guess it is as fast as a Pip-in!! And she is one very crafty player at her prime. That explains her world number 1. (Anyway, what is rating for the world class players? 10,000.. 20,000?? I surely know that Deng Ya Ping cannot be 4800 or 2000+.. ahahhaha.. :)

I guess every country has some influence on the playing styles. I guess the China players had a more crafty playing style and perhaps more creative? Singapore players mostly adopt this style of play, we are much influenced by the techniques used by the China Team. That is what i gathered after watching the "World against China Team" competition.

Will keep you guys posted!! I'll try to video some matches and post here.. esp the LP ones.. which are more fun and exciting to watch :)

Best Regards,
Stan

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 04:07 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
MeowMeow630 wrote:

I'm not sure if Pushblocker had such players back at home? I saw his video clip and his LP style is rather unique or not the standard kind for shakehanders (well, at least to me.. my humble opinions). All the shakehander LP players I played before don't employ his style.. But if it works for Pushblocker, then it is good for him.

My style is quite unique at my playing level. I believe that I'm the highest rated one sided long pips-pushblocker in the country.. Sure, there are a few who attack a lot with their forehand, but there are only 2 high rated pips blockers who's game is entirely based on long pips blocking.. It's me (2160 rated) and Peter Chen (2140 rated - plays penhold long pips only)
Other than me and Peter, I don't think that there is any player above 1900 rating who bases their game completely on long pips blocking. With my rating, I'm about in the top 4 - 5 % of all players in the country..

Quote:
I'm not sure what rating she has... perhaps a 4800?? (if they have this high..haha.. )

Actually, the best in the world are arond 2900 - 3000 rating. Some of the worlds best player do have a USATT rating.. Wang Liquin for example is 2907, Ma Lin is 2899 etc. etc..
Some styles, especially those like mine, do not look too impressive.. People that watch my videos or see my play in person think that I'm about 1700 rated.. When they play me they understand why I'm over 2100.. My game has more to do with chess than with table tennis. I strategicly place the balls in the most uncomfortable spot for my opponents.. I don't take chances and attack. I let my opponents work for the point. Attacking shots are more risky than blocking shots. My reaction is pretty good and I get a lot of good shots back. Many of my videos are older. I should record some newer ones. I take the ball very early and this messes up my opponents timing in many cases, so, even if they know how long pips react, they still miss because they don't have enough time to set up their stroke when a flat and low ball comes at them. Also, the more powerful my opponent plays, the more effective my game becomes as I can get almost everything back on the table.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 05:05 

wow!! you should be playing in the USA national team!! Are you in the team?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 11:36 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

MeowMeow630 wrote:
wow!! you should be playing in the USA national team!! Are you in the team?

National Team level starts in the 2500's and I'm only at 2160.. I'm only about 250th in the country (of about 7800 tournament players)Once I gain another 200 spots in the ranking and 300 points in the rating, I'll try out for the team LOL

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 13:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Pushblocker wrote:
Some styles, especially those like mine, do not look too impressive.. People that watch my videos or see my play in person think that I'm about 1700 rated.. When they play me they understand why I'm over 2100.. My game has more to do with chess than with table tennis. I strategicly place the balls in the most uncomfortable spot for my opponents.. I don't take chances and attack. I let my opponents work for the point. Attacking shots are more risky than blocking shots. My reaction is pretty good and I get a lot of good shots back. Many of my videos are older. I should record some newer ones. I take the ball very early and this messes up my opponents timing in many cases, so, even if they know how long pips react, they still miss because they don't have enough time to set up their stroke when a flat and low ball comes at them. Also, the more powerful my opponent plays, the more effective my game becomes as I can get almost everything back on the table.

I think when people actually realise what you're trying to do, and how hard this gets at your level, it looks quite impressive... I personally love the stategic aspect of a game, and enjoy watching how you can outsmart someone.

What do you think you need to do to yuor game to climb a few hundred points? Do you think it's just more (and better) practice, better equipment :mrgreen: or do you feel you may need to add some aspect to your game that is holding you back?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 14:55 
Super User

Serve with backspin on the LP then hit/smash the return hard !

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 18:59 

Attacker wrote:

Attacker

Can you elaborate on how you serve/generate backspin on your LP? Thanks.

KE

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01 
Super User

kineticexplorer wrote:
Attacker wrote:

Attacker

Can you elaborate on how you serve/generate backspin on your LP? Thanks.

KE

missunderstanding: One generates the backspin with an inverted rubber not with th LP. I assume many players have a LP on one side an a SP or inverted on the other side of the racket

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 22:37 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

haggisv wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

I think when people actually realise what you're trying to do, and how hard this gets at your level, it looks quite impressive... I personally love the stategic aspect of a game, and enjoy watching how you can outsmart someone.

What do you think you need to do to yuor game to climb a few hundred points? Do you think it's just more (and better) practice, better equipment :mrgreen: or do you feel you may need to add some aspect to your game that is holding you back?

I've been told by many players as also coaches that I would easily be 2300's if I would effectively attack with my forehand and twiddle more and attack with the backhand. My style often produces attackable balls (from my opponents) that I don't take enough advantage of. Look at Robert Shahnazari (videos of him are in the video section). He is in the 2300's and has been over 2400.. He has a similar game like mine with the difference that he attacks more... much more.. Another thing holding me back is that I only have time to play twice a week at the club and we only play matches at the club.. I need drills and patterns to practice my attacks.. The US is a developing country when it comes to table tennis.. There are only 2 regions in the US where you can get good training and this is California and around New York.. The rest of the country is a TT developing nation. Not enough coaches and not enough locations where you can actually train and not just play matches.. Sure, playing matches is good and gets you prepared for competition but you are only using the skills that you already have.. Lerning new skills takes real training as also time.. I think that with my style, the highest that I could be would be in the 2300's.. I highly doubt that I could get close to national team level. I'm also getting old.. I'm 38 now which really isn't the age of a developing player even though I have consistently improved my game but my improvement was more a improvement of strategy rather than strokes.. As I get older, I'm playing smarter..

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 22:45 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Attacker wrote:

I assume that you mean to serve backspin (chop) into the opponents long pips and attack the return - right?

If I play against some long pips players, I will actually serve with slight topspin so that I either get a dead ball or light topspin back.. Either ball is attackable.. Fast light topspin serves work very well against many long pips players, especially if served deep into the backhand.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 00:22 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Pushblocker wrote:
I'm 38 now which really isn't the age of a developing player even though I have consistently improved my game but my improvement was more a improvement of strategy rather than strokes.. As I get older, I'm playing smarter..

Come on, Pushblocker, 38 is a very young age and you still have many more years to improve your game. I wish I was 38 again so I can have more time to improve my game. :wink:

I am 61, approaching 62 in a few months, and yet I am still improving. My foot speed is still there and my eye-hand coordination is ok. All I need is a few fixes here and there in my forehand technique to advance out of my locally 1790 rating (sadly, 1626 Nationally).

May be this NA Table Tennis Tournament tomorrow might help me in that regard. BTW, good luck to you and hope to meet you there along with some OOAK friends.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 02:44 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

tatlwai wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:
I'm 38 now which really isn't the age of a developing player even though I have consistently improved my game but my improvement was more a improvement of strategy rather than strokes.. As I get older, I'm playing smarter..

Come on, Pushblocker, 38 is a very young age and you still have many more years to improve your game. I wish I was 38 again so I can have more time to improve my game. :wink:

I am 61, approaching 62 in a few months, and yet I am still improving. My foot speed is still there and my eye-hand coordination is ok. All I need is a few fixes here and there in my forehand technique to advance out of my locally 1790 rating (sadly, 1626 Nationally).

May be this NA Table Tennis Tournament tomorrow might help me in that regard. BTW, good luck to you and hope to meet you there along with some OOAK friends.

Can't wait to meet some of the OOAK folks at the tournament.. Tonight, I'm going to meet some people at the LATTA club..
Right now I'm in the Hotel room in San Diego Downtown and working remotely for my work (I work in IT, so I can log in from anywhere with an internet connection)..