OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Would the ability to upload pics be good for the forum?
It would add great value to the forum. 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
It would add some value to the forum. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
It would not make a difference, people will learn or ask anyway. 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 11:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
At the moment I have option, of being able to upload pictures or other files onto the forum, switches off. This means if you want to post a picture, you need to upload it elsewhere, to services like photobucket (or other free services) and post the link within [img] brackets here. Many people have never done this before, so may end up not posting the picture, or not even bother to post at all.

The only reason I have it switches off is to conserve bandwidth... although a single picture of say 100kb does not chew up much bandwidth, if 1000 people read the thread and look at the picture, I've suddenly used an extra 100Mb of bandwidth.

However I would consider switching it back on, if most people here think it would have a significant positive influence on the forum.

What do you think?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 12:13 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Save the bandwidth, if people really wants to post pictures or videos here, they can learn.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 17:38 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Maybe do a detailed tutorial on how to upload a photo to imageshack and add to a post would help.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 18:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

mynamenotbob wrote:
Maybe do a detailed tutorial on how to upload a photo to imageshack and add to a post would help.

Yes I sure that would help... but only a few would read it, and then it will get lost among the other posts, and we'd be back at square one. New people would probably not find it unless they searched for it or know where to look.

I supposed one option is just to try it... if people find it useful and it does not chew up too much bandwidth, I can leave it on.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 18:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Yes, turn this feature on! The bandwidth in today's broadband terms is minuscule and phpBB has ample admin settings to limit the byte size and pixel dimensions of any uploaded image. Once activated, you will begin to receive much more image content, and this is content you store and own; not just a link to a file on someone else's server that may or may not be there later.

I've admin'd forum sites both ways for close to 14 years now and I can tell you that this is a no-brainer.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 18:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

nathanso wrote:
Yes, turn this feature on! The bandwidth in today's broadband terms is minuscule and phpBB has ample admin settings to limit the byte size and pixel dimensions of any uploaded image. Once activated, you will begin to receive much more image content, and this is content you store and own; not just a link to a file on someone else's server that may or may not be there later.

I've admin'd forum sites both ways for close to 14 years now and I can tell you that this is a no-brainer.

Thanks for sharing that nathanso!

Can you suggest some sensible settings for file size and pixel dimensions?

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 02:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
haggisv wrote:
nathanso wrote:

Size: 200K, Pixels: 800 wide by 600 tall. The idea is to not slow page loads or cause horizontal scrolling for those with smaller screens. Some will still be challenged on how to prep their camera's 12MP images for web consumption but this is a big step in the right direction.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 06:27 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
tatlwai wrote:
Save the bandwidth, if people really wants to post pictures or videos here, they can learn.

:clap:
There is already a feature on this forum offering help and instructions.

faq.php

If people either can't or won't use these, or the instructions and how to's available on how to post images on other sites and link them here - of which there are many help tutorials - I doubt people will read instructions, or watch them at all. I'm all for making things easier but there comes a point where the individual needs to take some responsibility or put the effort in and learn. Ironically, its haggisv who has raised this topic and you've already posted videos etc to the forum. I could understand this more if this topic had been started by someone who wanted to post a video or photo but didn't know how to.

Putting this in table tennis terms, if players struggled against playing LP's (posting images on the forum) would you help them learn how to play against them (refer them to lots of help available already to improve their knowledge or give advice on technique/tactics etc), but the onus is on them to learn - or would you ban LP's so it was no longer a problem (your suggestion haggisv) and they could enjoy table tennis the easy way but never truly improve. Mmmm, maybe that's not a good analogy after all :devil:

On a serious note, there have been enough threads around which have been successful and required forum members to post pictures. If the topic is strong enough, people will find away to post the image in the forums current format. Regarding size of files there are lots of nifty little programs that can reduce image size before posting here eg Easy Thumbnails - but then people would have to read the help files to learn how to use it ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 07:30 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Debater, I am glad that you agreed with me in this regard.

If you all remember the first few months I was here, I have much trouble knowing how to post pictures, not even videos. It was with some helpful hints and directions offered by the knowledgeable forum members and with many tried and failed attempts by me, I finally figured out the ways and procedures to upload pictures and videos from the camera and posted them here.

I am no expert in these stuffs but, learning by actually doing it by oneself is the fastest way to learn. ;)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2010, 07:52 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

nathanso wrote:
haggisv wrote:
nathanso wrote:

Size: 200K, Pixels: 800 wide by 600 tall. The idea is to not slow page loads or cause horizontal scrolling for those with smaller screens. Some will still be challenged on how to prep their camera's 12MP images for web consumption but this is a big step in the right direction.

Hmm. Thanks for the idea, I shall endeavor to do 800x600 -- should be big enough, actually.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 12:52 
Horse Hockey!

So what did you decide? Are you going to turn on the upload feature? I think it would be really convenient.

Also, I think going to forums where users post pics via links is often disappointing when the link no longer works. If the post and image is on this server then it will always be there for the seo bots to find. That's better for your site instead of sending the bots to someone else's site and letting them get undeserved recognition by Google or whoever as a link referral. What you want are incoming links, not outgoing links!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 13:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

For the moment I've decided not to do it, mainly because in the last few weeks I've had some issue with my host, and it seems I'm already 'straining' the (shared) server... I need to look for better options soon, and if this has plenty of capacity I can't see any reason not to enable the feature....