OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hardbat anyone?
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 17:30 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Anyone have any interest in a hardbat section? Could be an interesting section and there's not a lot of info about it on the net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 17:41 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

It's a good idea MNNB...

I would be deeply interested, thoug since I am living in Australia, I haven't heard of any hardbat tourney's going around.

I know it is big in the U.S and I have watched several short vid's in youtube.

Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 17:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Hi MM,

I'm playing in that Bud Light tournament. I've never played competitive hardbat before and was hoping to find some tips online. When I didn't find what I wanted, I thought maybe it would be a good section here if there is any interest. In addition to the US, I think they play hardbat in Europe too.

I put Dr. Evil on both sides of a Nittaku Violin. It feels pretty good even though I have no idea what I'm doing. Not sure if they'll let me use my own blade, but I'll bring it just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 18:00 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I'm pretty sure any blade does go and is accepted.
I too read about it made myself a HB setup.

I found that the grippier pips worked better, the yasaka cobalt a and the 563 was excellent on the fh. I used dr. evil on the bh... though still 50/50 with that choice. blade was mazunov and a allround cr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 18:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

This is all new to me. From what I gather both rubbers have to be the same, the blade must be all wood and there's only ten approved rubbers (all ox):

Leyland ("Hock" rubber)
Andro Classic
Butterfly Orthodox
Dunlop Barna Original
Friendship RITC "Dr Evil"
Hallmark MagicPips
Alphatool ATP (Reisman)
TSP Millitall
Yasaka A-1-2
Yasaka Cobalt

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 18:25 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Yeah that's news to me too. Back to the topic then it would be a good idea to start a section on "hardbat".
There is also video's on youtube that are interesting to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2009, 22:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I enjoy playing with it, but it's not as interesting as inverted/LP combinatons... I have not idea if it has a big following. I also don't know if there is a much to chat about, since there is so much less equipment available, and I presume the strategies would be simpler... although I'm sure just as skillful if not more...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 00:38 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I started with hardbat and can still pick up a hardbat and play well. If there were more people that played hardbat, I would play more but not many people use hardbat anyplace.

Decent players should be able to pick up a hardbat and figure out the classic hardbat strokes by watching a video or two. Most will figure out the slap and fly swatter strokes naturally.

The "legal" rubber list is short enough that it would not take long to select a rubber. None of the rubbers are extremely different from another, (not like comparing pips to inverted). Dr Evil would be a safe start. Most or the legal rubbers are inexpensive. Any blade will surfice to start although if you want to defend, a slow blade will help.

You can use hardbat in an open competition but then the rubbers must be red and black. In a hardbat tourney, they can be the same color.

Part of what draws people to hardbat is the longer rallies. In general, rallies are longer but shots "can" be made that leave vapour trails.

Hardbats sound different. A hardbat tourney is a noisy affair. I can remember being able to hear the sound from outside the building when I showed up. It made me walk faster. Hardbat was FUN.

:D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 00:45 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

hookshot wrote:
I started with hardbat and can still pick up a hardbat and play well. If there were more people that played hardbat, I would play more but not many people use hardbat anyplace.

Decent players should be able to pick up a hardbat and figure out the classic hardbat strokes by watching a video or two. Most will figure out the slap and fly swatter strokes naturally.

The "legal" rubber list is short enough that it would not take long to select a rubber. None of the rubbers are extremely different from another, (not like comparing pips to inverted). Dr Evil would be a safe start. Most or the legal rubbers are inexpensive. Any blade will surfice to start although if you want to defend, a slow blade will help.

You can use hardbat in an open competition but then the rubbers must be red and black. In a hardbat tourney, they can be the same color.

Part of what draws people to hardbat is the longer rallies. In general, rallies are longer but shots "can" be made that leave vapour trails.

Hardbats sound different. A hardbat tourney is a noisy affair. I can remember being able to hear the sound from outside the building when I showed up. It made me walk faster. Hardbat was FUN.

:D

:lol: I do believe getting some Chinese blade with Dr. Evil will be a great way to start hardbat -- hardish feel, cheap start-up!

I am of the opinion that if someone learned know how to 'topspin' and attack with hardbat, both touch and hitting ability would improve dramatically. Can even quickly learn how to use LP to 'topspin', I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 00:50 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Thanks Hookshot. Just trying to come up with some good tactics. Serve long or short? Chop? Topspin? Not really sure. Only just found out this Bud thing is having a qualifying round in my area (tonight). There will probably be a lot of experienced hardbat players there due to the $100,000 grand prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 06:25 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

So is it true then bothsides must be of same rubber?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 07:26 

In a true hardbat comp, both must be the same rubber but can be the same color. If using hardbat in regular play, may be any rubber but must have red and black.
I read the rules for the Bud comp. "They give you a bat" and that is what you use for the duration of the comp.

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 09:43 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
Thanks Hookshot. Just trying to come up with some good tactics. Serve long or short? Chop? Topspin? Not really sure. Only just found out this Bud thing is having a qualifying round in my area (tonight). There will probably be a lot of experienced hardbat players there due to the $100,000 grand prize.

OK, MNNB, how did you do in the qualifying event?

Regarding hard bats, that is the only bat I am allow to play with my son when he comes home, his tennis strokes play well. I have put up a hard bat combo with the DR Evil and Peace keeper that I have, on a blade that I won't use anymore. I have no problem attacking balls from the back hand side (hit mostly like I did with LP), but the forehand side still give me some trouble, all I can do is slow flat hitting and chopping and pushing. Really need to learn how to hit on the forehand side, any suggestions?

Hookshot, next time you are here, we should play some hard bat games, it will be fun.

Post subject: Re: Hardbat anyone?
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 10:47 

Hi Tat,
Would love to hit some hardbat. I am making one with Dr evil both sides. Going to use red and black in case I find a tourney.

Part of your problem on the forhand, you are expecting a loop to go at the same speed as with inverted. They don't. That is part of why the rallies are longer. However, if you crack one with a flat hit, you can make bullets but your chance of landing it are less.

If you want to do it right, find some 38mm balls. It makes a difference. That is what they will use in an official hardbat tourney. Don't know what they will use in the Bud tourney. They are supposed to give you a bat.

Best way to learn for now, find some vids on line. Check Liha vids also.

By the way, PK is not a legal hardbat pip. If it was, that is what I would use. There is alot to be learned by playing hardbat, main things are patience, tactics and consistancy. Chopping is fun. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 11:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

tatlwai wrote:
OK, MNNB, how did you do in the qualifying event?

Didn't do too well. It was a pretty Mickey Mouse setup, not real hardbat rules. You had to use their bats. The ball was 40mm, probably one star quality. Once a player gets to ten, the other player gets to serve over and over until he loses or ties it. Matches are one game to eleven, the final was two games out of three. All the serious players were there early so they all ended up in the same bracket, the other half of the bracket were people recruited from the bar area so incredibly weak. (Unfortunately I was there early and had to play the stronger opponents, all of whom had driven a long way to play based on the phone numbers written on the sign-up sheet.) Anyway, I beat the first two pretty easily (one guy couldn't return my sidespin serve), then blew a 5-2 lead against the third guy. Got a few smashes in early, then got too aggressive and lost 11-9. Backhands were no problem, probably due to my experience playing OX LPs. However, chop blocks were pretty harmless. I didn't have good control of the forehand and didn't have any decent tactics other than trying to put pressure which caused me to make errors. I guess the hardbat forehand is a skill that needs to be learned. In any event, not many opportunities to play hardbat around here so I don't think I'll be playing it that often. Overall, it was fun.