OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 04:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you want a new Swap Equipment section
Yes just impliment a new section 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but it requires some rules/requirements 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
yes but I would not use it 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
No it's bad idea 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 13:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
As proposed in this thread, we're considering to have a subforum of the Buy&Sell section, dedicated to swapping used (or new) equipment. We would probably need to impliment some sort minimum time or posts requirement to offer some level of protection to members interests.

Do you like the idea? Please posts any argument for/against here.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 13:56 
Don Skaffa

Love the idea.
Just afraid trade will happen in perceived unequal terms and lead to grudge if done a larger scale.
If swap poules would consist out of a limited number of trustworthy and fair people it could be a great addition.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 20:45 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Conditions for that section will need to make it clear that there is an element of randomness. IOW you can't expect to get exactly what you give, neither when converting to an assumed "retail value" nor by comparing the swapped items' state of wear/modification/damage. As long as the outset is "I have something that I won't be using, but others might" and there is a taker who offers something in return which you need (or at least you would like to try), it's to the benefit of both parts. With that setting, the attitude that "I should get more for what I have given" is just childish whining.

If posting restrictions are too narrow, the section will be of little use. With a requirement of previous history (registered for a couple of months, minimum post count, peer approval) before being allowed to start a thread, most unwanted activity will be inhibited. If everyone is allowed to respond, there will certainly be an opening for hijacking, so it carries a potential to increase moderator workload. Can't see any danger with the current state of this community, though. It seems to me that all regular posters have a generally positive attitude, wanting to contribute for the benefit of others, verbally as well as materially.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 00:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Indeed it would require a mature and somewhat unselfish attitude of all participants as well as full disclosure of trade item conditions. Therefore, we would need to come up with a solid set of rules to work by. I think if everything is done in the open where other members can comment on the value proposition of any "deal/trade", then its less susceptible to hijacking. Obviously members will have the choice to take a swap-talk into PM, but they must realise they do it at more of their own risk than if out in the open. Of course all swaps would be at the risk of the swappers anyway, but I think 3rd party member advice can be a valuable thing, especially for people who may be "talked into" a deal they may later regret. That may save some heartache.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 01:56 

I agree with reb, need to have set rules. I have/will be trading with two different users on this forum. I have stated the condition of what I will be GIVING away. Giving is in caps because this is how I feel. I am giving my equipment away to dedicated members of the tt community. That is why I am a member here, I might not post alot but the information gleened form this place has helped me help others in my club. I have decided to trade/give equipment for advice/other equipment and I am okay with that. If some members don't feel comfortable with it then so be it. I do not have alot of stuff to trade so my participation will be quite limited since I am no longer an ej.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012, 12:15 

My suggestion is to change the title of the Buy and Sell forum section to Buy, Sell, and Trade. This forum section is not overally active and can handle the extra threads.

Trading is relatively simple and doesn't require too many rules. As with buying second hand goods, buyer beware. People wanting to trade need to ask for photos to get a good idea of the condition of the item. The rest is up to peoples honesty and sensibility - no way around it. Having a feedback section is a way of establishing known credibility to help boost confidence in using the forum for these activities.

In regards to differences in price, I suggest it be approached in this manner. Example as follows- wish to trade rubber A for rubber B (assuming both in same condition and have had similar amount of use)
Rubber A retail value is $60 - second hand value is $30
Rubber B retail value is $40 - second hand value is $20
Owner of rubber A recieves $10 upon trade.

In the end though, it's a process of offer and counter offer until a middle ground is reached.

I have done several trades in the past and it's a great way of getting a chance to try a rubber or blade.