OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 10:58 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Oskar wrote:
HAPPY 6th ANNIVERSARY! :up: :up: :up:

The great thing about the Internet is no matter what interest you have there is always a place to go. A place to meet like-minded people. A place where, no matter how strange your interest, you don't have to feel strange and alone. A place where you can feed your interest and watch it grow.

The OOAK forum is one such place.

Thank you! :clap:

To start with Happy Anniversary Ooak TT Forum! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here is an overview of what the Forum has meant to me in the 18mths or since I discovered it.
I’ve already have posted on my return to playing TT after a lapse of some 30 to 35 years.
Yes I needed my own bat! .... What kind would suit me?

I needed information and luckily I found the Forum
After about 6mths of just being a visitor concerned with my lack of knowledge, skill and technique I thought what the heck and come out from my cloak of invisibility and joined.
Many bats later, hours of research including (I’m an information junkie) most on the Ooak Forum.
Wow and what a difference Pimples made.

I owe most of all of this to the great information that all of you have given me, to my mentor Haggisv :*: :*: Achim for creating the marvelous Re - Impact blades, :*: :*: :*: Kees for his review of the Re - Impact Perfect (which I now have 2 of), :up: :up: keme for his translations :up: and the Forum for putting my journey in order. :up: :*: :up: :*:
Thank you Oak Forum and contributors.

See the ball, be the ball...

Last edited by Gollum on 13 Dec 2012, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 14:11 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Happy 6th Anniversary OOAK!
:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Asking what OOAK is to me is a bit like asking what home is to me. When I discovered this place just over 5 years ago,it was much in the same way most people do, searching around the net looking for information on TT equipment. I lurked for about 3 days if memory serves. But in those 3 days I was drawn in with excitement of the many trinkets that could be found throughout its sections. I quickly realised I needed to be involved here. Did I realise I'd still be so heavily involved 5 years later? Not on your Nelly! :lol: :P

But here I am still, and while what I get from the forum has vastly changed from those early days, I still get enough to keep me here almost daily. Sure, its only an hour or so most days instead of the 5, 6, 7..10 hours I might once have spent :oops: But needs change, the heart, not so much.

I agree with Oskar, I would not have met the people I have met without the forums (cos Robs forum, which I discovered a couple of weeks after OOAK, is also a part of all this). Perhaps I would have met some of them still, but I wouldn't have had the experiences I've had without them. I doubt I would have played any Vets tournaments without the 2 forums (which would mean never playing at Geelong, Croydon or Mornington clubs). I wouldn't have met Mars63 even though he was a member of my own club, which means I probably would never have played at Carbonman's Coburg TT club (as I went there with Mars) either.

One of the big things though...I wouldn't have turned to pips without OOAK. Well perhaps I still would have somehow, but it was here that I was influenced to give pips a go, given what I read about them and how it seemed to fit my style. Years later now, and my style has completely changed...but all thanks to the pips and my progression with them. I am the best player I've ever been in my life, which is more to do with how much TT I play now than anything, but without all the experiences through the forum, that may not be the case either.

And I think lastly, the forum has been my knowledge base for all things TT (and a few other side-topics), which has meant my equipment knowledge, my rules knowledge and my technical knowledge has all been advanced way beyond what it would otherwise be. Now, this cannot be taken for granted. Yes we get out of the forum as much as what we put in generally, but without it, we could get nothing out.

I don't think a reflection on the forum could be complete without considering all the members who have come and go (or are still here) from this place over the years. Way too many for me to list or remember, but every single one of them has added to the experience (not always in a good way - ahem, spammers :P - but still added to it). So thank you to you all for helping make the place what it is today and what it will be in the future.

I encourage anyone reading this to think about my experiences (laid out here in a nutshell) and consider what you may get back by contributing all you can here for as long as you can. I doubt you will regret it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 15:21 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Happy 6 years to HaggisV and the guys who've held this active since day 1.

I found it as an amazing repository for information as an up and coming junior - all the guys here knew so much - and were so happy to share with my young and enthusiastic self. Advice is freely given, opinions shared and(a majority of the time) malice and sarcasm kept clear - a far change from any internet forum out there, in any sport.

The level of respect the members here hold for each other, regardless of level, sets this place apart. everyone has their say, their questions are always treated equally (regardless of how silly they seem) and everyone - will support each other in their own little TT Journeys.

I'm nowhere near as active as many of you as far as posting goes, because I don't have as much to say online as I tend to in person (as the guys i've met from here can agree..!!!) but i'm always watching, always reading, and thoroughly enjoying the effort everyone put's in to keep this place alive.

As far as my own journey goes - there is NO WAY I would have got as far as I have in the game without the support from much of the guys here. Technical questions via PM, equipment dilemmas, and sometimes just encouragement to never give up - really egged me on to be the best player I could be, and my own achievements in the game I do share with everyone here.

All the best to another 6 years. Keep the faith - with a cold XXXX bitter off the Keg -

Dan

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 15:43 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Happy 6th Anniversary! 6 years old! That's Kindergarten!
Thanks Haggisv for such a great TT forum!
Thanks also to all the TT buddies here!
:party: :up:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 16:31 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Coming back to the sport after 18 years of inactiveness, I need to update myself why TT is now played up to 11 instead of 21. And why the ball have grown big. :D
I thought I am still good as I always believe, but browsing and relearning TT again made me realize that the road ahead is so long and there's a big room for improvement.
I have tried some TT sites but have not stayed until I found OOAK, which I consider my TT cyberspace home. In here, I found sarcasm is not the norm. Internet bullying and fighting is kept at bay. My opinion and sharing which I find today as sometimes stupid is treated with respect. Truly, respect begets respect.
To Haggisv and Reb and to the core of veterans who kept this site running, happy 6th anniversarry and congratulations ! I am happy to be part of OOAK.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 19:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
For me by far the biggest thing the forum has offered me is friends as well. I'm actually quite shy and introverted in real life, but the forum makes it so easy to chat about topics we're all passionate about, and as a result you get to know so many people. I feel quite close to many people here, even though I've not even met many of them in person! It's been awesome actually meeting some of the members here, and I've enjoyed every single one of them, coz you're friends even before you shake their hands!

There is no doubt my game has improved from the knowledge I've gain here as well. If I wasn't too shy to share a video I'm sure I could learn a lot more from the tips that would be offered (once they stopped laughing :oops: ), but I'm not quite ready for that yet :oops:

Although we've lost some good members over the years that I do miss (who may still return one day), we continue to gain new members at a faster pace, so we continue to grow our community of friends and our knowledge base.

Thanks to everyone to make this place such a great resource and such a friendly place to share it. There are quite a few members here who always make the time to offer advice and tips to those who request it, even though the advice is not always accepted or acknowledged. Then there are those who have a way of always making people feel welcome and part of the community. Of course there are the moderators and spam-busters who work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep the forum clean and organised. You'd be surprised how much work that can take at times! Last but not least there are those that only contribute or ask questions occasionally, but altogether continue to keep things fresh and interesting. We should all take some pride in what we've build here, and lets hope we can keep going for many years to come, so that many more can benefit from this great place! :rock:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 20:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ohh, I knew I forgot something... we should not forget to thank those people who continue to keep us up to date with the latest information. :clap: :clap: :clap: I think this is vitally important for our forum, and of course it keeps things up to date and interesting. :up:
I'm also grateful for those people that help keep up in index of reviews, weights, materials, etc. These are great resources for our own community but also for those that just read our forum. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 21:40 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Happy birthday, OOAK.

I was totally uninformed about material, tactics and styles before I met you and I wasn't aware that there was so much to know.

Then I met you...

Now I'm totally informed that I'll always be underinformed :-)

Thank you to everyone here for continuously refreshing and adding to this wealth of information by asking questions, providing answers, giving opinions, reviewing material, uploading vids, helping through PMs, being kind, being funny, and so much more. Thank you for all inspiration and for making me a happier and a better player

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 22:28 
The Unprogrammable Player

Happy 6th Anniversary :party:

OOAK forum is my favorite place to hang out on my free time and on coffee breaks or when I feel like slacking off from work :)

OOAK inspired me to once again take the paddle and start playing some serious TT after years of absence. I love that I found lots of people who's mentality is similar to mine, I like this peaceful place. This community is one of a kind :clap:

I remember my first reactions about this forum like it was yesterday:
1) uuuuu, what is this interesting logo? Is it a defender? :o For real???? omg, I already love this place!! :rock:
2) browse the new topics for the first time: pips, pips, even more topics on pips and custom blades. It felt like I was in heaven for a change :angel:
3) then I discovered all the other sections and started to come here daily, because this place was like the whole new world for me :)
4) I just <3 MNNB's TT news blog.

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2012, 23:22 
Unorthodox Batman
Unorthodox Batman

First off, let's face facts, in 6 years OOAK Forum has cost me a significant amount of money!

It was the equipment reviews which first brought me in and I hope I've been able to contribute to some of these over the years, as much as I've been able to take home ideas myself.

Since I first visited my level has increased dramatically - some due to extreme weight loss/increased fitness, some through practice but also some of this comes from great tips on technique and equipment (plus I hope a little natural ability!)

There is a genuine community here - you aren't generally aware of it but I think it becomes evident when somebody steps out of line or just doesn't really belong.

I have posted a few clips of me on here - both fat and thin! That's a weird thing to do - when you do it, you need to be prepared to hear things you don't like. Not sure I was the first time around but I got over that and actually put some of those tips into my game - I would still post vids again if I was organised enough!

Big up to the Mods and especially to Haggisv, a trusted, respected and reverred international TT figurehead.

I think I've been around for most of its existence, albeit I lurk more than I post, but I still visit most days. I am close to reaching my 1,000th post too, which is very exciting!

Last edited by dingwol2 on 14 Dec 2012, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 04:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I came to OOAK on my birthday in 2007. It is a birthday gift that has given to me daily, and I am thankful for willingness of those involved with the forum in their role as sounding board and mentor with more facets than the most beautifully cut diamond. Thanks alos for being a constant source of fun, information support and inspiration. I raise my glass to toast the next six years.

If I make it another six years I will be edging into my 8th decade.
tOD

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 04:51 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Shortly after I joined, I met Tommyzia and his girlfriend. She introduced me to a girl in China, (her aunt) who is now my wife! She now lives in the U.S. with me. I dont think it would have happened without OOAK. The forum also led me to new equipment and changed my game alot. I turned EJ after seeing so much new equipment for a couple years, (spent $2500+ in one year). Strange thing is, I ended up still playing double inverted shake and inverted/anti Seemiller just like before I spent so much money. Without the forum, I am sure I would never have gone to China. (3 trips and almost 2 years in China) That has been a life changing experience in itself. The trips to China led to over 150 hours of coaching from provincial level coaches, something completly out of my budget in the U.S. The forum also helped me keep some sense of sanity when I was not in China waiting for the visa process to work. (several years)
OOAK :Chop: :party: :party: :party:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 09:21 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I really enjoy the OOAK forum. It's given me the opportunity to connect with, compare notes, and make friends with a lot of fellow long pips players from all over the world, many of whom I have met in person. I've learned a lot about equipment and strategy that have opened up wonderful new opportunities for me in this great game of ours and I've gotten loads of good collective advice on how to correct specific problems in my game.

In addition, the forum acts a kind of a support group for LP players, who have been under attack by the ITTF for more than a decade. It helped me get past disgust and disillusionment with our sport after the ban of dozens of great LPs in 2008.

Not to say there that haven't been some turbulent times over the last six years, particularly between people critical of the damage the ITTF is inflicting to our sport, and those who support the ITTF's agenda of dumbing down the game. I commend haggisv for his leadership and fairness in guiding the forum through these tense moments.

We've had a lot of notable people visit and participate in the forum over the years including Adham Sharara, Dan Seemiller, William Henzell and Coach McAfee, while Dr. Neubauer, Gao Jun, Sebastian Sauer, Amelie Solja, Vladimir Samsonov, Fabian Akerstrom and others have answered our interview questions. High level players like Roundrobin, Pushblocker, Pascal Troger and many others have generously shared their knowledge with us.

I've also had a good time writing my edgy TT blog that's gotten a number of people quite agitated (lol). I think it's currently one of the top three or four largest threads in this forum's history in terms of page views so thank you to all my loyal readers.

The blog section, the experimental section, the video section are all innovative and interesting. The intelligent way this forum is laid out is terrific.

Anyway, to me this place is just a lot of fun. If I made a list of everyone I consider to be a friend here, the list would be pages long.

Here's to hoping the next six years will be as good as the last six and that the ITTF's bigger, less spinny plastic ball doesn't exterminate all long pips players.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 11:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Happy Birthday OOAK forum. For a 6 year old, it's certainly got a mature head on it's shoulders.

It's given me the chance to make friends, discover a variety of views and opinions and a platform on which to talk about a sport which is and always should be first and foremost, a sport to play. Some contents makes me smile, some makes me shake my head, some makes me question my own beliefs and opinions.

But most importantly, it's also a place I keep returning to. A table tennis home.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 15:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

THanks for sharing your stories guys, that's really good to read! :clap: :clap: :clap: