OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Do you like the idea of an ITTF WATCH section?
Yes great idea 100%  100%  [ 13 ]
Yes, but with some changes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, it won't work 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No, it will be detrimental to the forum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 18:18 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

mynamenotbob wrote:
...there was a faction at one time on this forum that while acknowledging the shady practices of the ITTF, urged us to wave the white flag and "get over it." Any kind of venting became "ITTF bashing."
Seems like I missed a history lesson there somewhere. Thanks for the enlightenment! :up: Keep up the good work!

Looks like the proposed section is a good idea then, possibly just as much for linking to relevant posts in other threads as it would be for starting new discussions.

Post subject: Re: ITTF Watch section
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 18:39 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I think it's a good idea if it meets to what is stated below by Haggisv. It might even become a section that has some influence towards ITTF? Adham Sharara and others can be invited to take a look at it, or even to participate in it.

I personally believe that in this section it's more constructive and influential to be critical in a polite way than to express frustrations all the time. This would also be more in line with the friendly and respectful forum we are. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with parodies and cartoons. I found the so called Sharara quote about the Stiga Calibra Tour rubbers in MNNB's thread (on March, 1) very funny :-). That's humor, that's a parody, and it's totally different than seriously expressing anger/frustrations, calling names, etc... The latter doesn't give me much energy or motivation.

haggisv wrote:
Yes that's a fair question, and I agree this can be hard to define.

In my view a discussion turns into so called "bashing" (I did not make up this term but it seems to stick :oops: ) when we're no longer discussing the topic at hand, and we're throwing personal feeling or unsubstantiated claims into the topic to try and make our case. If we want the section to be effective we need to discuss the facts, and one topic at the time, and not use this section to express our anger and frustration towards the ITTF. Members can post this elsewhere if people feel the need, but in this section we must try and stick to the facts and evidence for the topic at hand. Although I can certainly understand and relate to people's anger and frustration at times (and even share it at times!), I don't think it can have a place in this section if we want ti to be effective.

Yes some topics will be harder to keep on track, but I think we are mature enough to handle it, and if we succeed than it's going to be a lot more constructive for others, compared to a thread where members express their personal frustration.