OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 09:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Is it worth considering having a separate Coaching section. This would be a section where we discuss how to coach people. Like tips on how to coach beginners, how to keep things entertaining for kids, those that coach can bounce ideas off each other on what technique works best, etc.

For those that coach, would a section like that be worthwhile? For others it could give very useful tips on how to help other players, even if it's not formal coaching. Worthwhile?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 15:29 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
It is always helpful if a certain topic is indexed or in a separate folder. Coaching has different approach depending on the status of the player ( age, skills, motivation, availability of playing time, resources ) and I believe this would be helpful.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 21:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

What might even be worthwhile is for a coach to moderate the section, to make sure the advice given is logical and makes sense.

Of course we would want everyone to contribute there with new ideas and such, but having a coach to monitor things can help ensure that no advice is given which is clearly wrong.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 12:36 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Coaching has so many variables, the student, the country, lots of things. I can tell you how they coach in Guangdong China and I can tell you the methods do not work in the U.S. because of the lack of effort, lack of determination and lack of respect shown by most kids, including college students. The best students I had were from other countries. I have quit free coaching.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2013, 17:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

All the more reasons to have a seperate Coaching section, as there are obviously so many aspects!

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2013, 19:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The lack of interest probably indicates there would not be much activity in a section like this. Perhaps we just don't have enough coaches here...

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2013, 00:44 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
haggisv wrote:
The lack of interest probably indicates there would not be much activity in a section like this. Perhaps we just don't have enough coaches here...

... or perhaps coaches like to escape from the coaching environment on this forum? Personally, as someone who is just starting out on a coaching path I'd find it useful to exchange experiences and ideas as most topics on "coaching" on the forum are about table tennis technique and I'm learning there's so much more to coaching than just playing or demonstrating the shots correctly. Perhaps rather than calling it a "coaching section" it would be more accurate to describe it as a "helpers or coaches section"?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2013, 17:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Debater wrote:
... or perhaps coaches like to escape from the coaching environment on this forum? Personally, as someone who is just starting out on a coaching path I'd find it useful to exchange experiences and ideas as most topics on "coaching" on the forum are about table tennis technique and I'm learning there's so much more to coaching than just playing or demonstrating the shots correctly. Perhaps rather than calling it a "coaching section" it would be more accurate to describe it as a "helpers or coaches section"?

Yes you're right, exchanging ideas about everything related to coaching is what I had in mind too. I'd like it to be a great resource for both coaches or anyone else that helps teach other people. If simple ideas that are easy to impliment are presented, we might even encourage more people to get involved in coaching or helping out.
Yes that title is a good idea, as it more accurately presents what we're trying to do. :up: