OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 02:09 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
All,

I wanted to post this in the forum-related section of this site, but I don't have access to that section apparently.
I have a suggestion at improving the videos section in terms of making it more user-friendly, and maybe increasing traffic to the site.

The Table Tennis Videos section, particularly the "Pimples / Antispin" could use a face-lift. Ooak is a forum that attracts TT players that play alternative, minority, or obscure playing styles. As such, we like to post and watch videos of those minority styles. We have hundreds of videos in that section of defenders, short pips hitters, seemiller grip, etc. It is actually quite useful because as a group, OOAK members are among the best information beavers on the planet amalgamating, managing to hunt down videos from some of the most obscure parts of the globe. But as it is organized, this section is kind of limiting.

The first change I propose is that the videos section have more visibility. I think the subsections are kind of buried. I also think the labeling isn't super clear. If I was a new user, I might not know to click the "Pimples / Antispin" link to see videos of Joo, Chtchetinine, Ai Fukahara, etc. I think we should a have clear labels for those videos, "Elite/Pro Player videos" or something to that effect.

Another change, is that we label any subsections to allow for more variation in styles. Choppers are lumped together with SP hitters, push blockers, chop blockers, LP Hitters, Anti blockers, etc. Also, there technically is no place for double inverted defenders (although we have put them in the "Pimple / Antispin" subsection) Also, penhold is also a minority group not represented, especially Jpen. There are a lot of penhold players that I follow, and there is no real place to put them other than General or Penhold (Penhold section is really more for playing advice).

What do you all think?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 11:32 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Agree.

Player videos can be in a group.

We can filter the defender by thread title. :)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 19:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think it's a good idea :up: :up: :up: I'm just not quite sure exactly how we do it though...

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 21:19 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One big weakness of the two-layered structure is that someone will post a video, that topic makes itself visible in the top level menu. You watch it, and then you want to watch it again but someone else has posted another video and the video you want to watch is no longer visible on the top level menu. So you're forced to go look for it, and goodness knows which category it was posted under. Very frustrating sometimes.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 01:49 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Site search usually works reasonably well, as long as you know what to search for. A challenge with some of the more obscure players.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018, 11:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Japsican wrote:
I wanted to post this in the forum-related section of this site, but I don't have access to that section apparently.

Moved to forum suggestion section (you should have access to that section? :o ).

Yes it's tricky to reorganise within the bounds of the current software, but if anyone can see an easy way, please post.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 02:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

pgpg wrote:
Site search usually works reasonably well, as long as you know what to search for. A challenge with some of the more obscure players.

Yeah, that's a problem. You can't remember the title of the post or what to search for. It's usually about some technique and someone posted an example in some thread that's been going on for 2-3 pages.

No idea how I'd replace the current structure, though. One huge gigantic Videos forum is the only one I can think of that would be much different, and that doesn't seem to be very appealing either.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 02:30 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I can't see what the problem is. We already have a topic in the pimples/antispin video section called "The OOAK Pips/Anti Players Video Index". This was started by brabhamista. It lists all the players in this section along with their style, grip preference and what type of equipment a player has on their FH and BH. There is even a link next to each player to a topic devoted solely to that players videos. If you are after a specific style, you simple use the search function within your web browser - in firefox it's ctrl+f - and search for the players name or a style you like.

brabhamista's topic is also pinned to the top of the forum index so it won't get lost as new topics are posted. It keeps the forum clean and easy to navigate and importantly maintain. The issue is whether any forum member or members are willing to put the time in to keep it updated and if posters of new threads are willing to update it to bring to everyone's attention a "new" thread for a "new player" has started and to ensure duplicate threads on the same player aren't started. Unfortunately volunteers to maintain this type of topic are rare, especially for a forum with 1000's of members.

Quote:
Japsican wrote: The first change I propose is that the videos section have more visibility. I think the subsections are kind of buried. I also think the labeling isn't super clear. If I was a new user, I might not know to click the "Pimples / Antispin" link to see videos of Joo, Chtchetinine, Ai Fukahara, etc. I think we should a have clear labels for those videos, "Elite/Pro Player videos" or something to that effect.

I like the existing labeling coupled with the "index" topic. For me standard isn't as important as what the player uses. I don't play elite level, so I find local league videos more relevant and interesting to watch. That's my personal preference though.

The only issue I have is where should we post new topics about players who don't use "pimples/antispin" equipment?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2018, 13:33 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Debater wrote:
I can't see what the problem is. We already have a topic in the pimples/antispin video section called "The OOAK Pips/Anti Players Video Index". This was started by brabhamista. It lists all the players in this section along with their style, grip preference and what type of equipment a player has on their FH and BH. There is even a link next to each player to a topic devoted solely to that players videos. If you are after a specific style, you simple use the search function within your web browser - in firefox it's ctrl+f - and search for the players name or a style you like.

brabhamista's topic is also pinned to the top of the forum index so it won't get lost as new topics are posted. It keeps the forum clean and easy to navigate and importantly maintain. The issue is whether any forum member or members are willing to put the time in to keep it updated and if posters of new threads are willing to update it to bring to everyone's attention a "new" thread for a "new player" has started and to ensure duplicate threads on the same player aren't started. Unfortunately volunteers to maintain this type of topic are rare, especially for a forum with 1000's of members.

Lots of reasons. The first reason is, the title of the section doesn't accurately describe the content. "Pimples Antispin Videos"...could be anything related to that material. Is it random people playing specific types of equipment? Pro players? Amateur players? Videos of pimple manufacturing? Technique? Training? Video tutorials? Video reviews? The answer is, anything falls into that category. It's too inclusive. It doesn't even have the word "Players" in it. So it could be videos of anything pimple or antispin related.

In my line of work, intuitive, logical, ease of use, is sometimes the difference between life and death. So, even with something as benign as a TT site, I find such things annoying. A new user should know where to find pro player videos right off the bat (pun intended). It took me quite a long time to realize that the section where all these videos were located was even called the Pimples Antispin Videos. It should be obvious enough that my grandma would intuitively be able to find a video of Joo just by navigating the forum links. You shouldn't have to use a Search. Search is for when you cannot find something.

Second, the index is not updated. Not only that, it requires maintenance, and there is no "owner." Last update was 2014. Not to mention, even I had no idea that index existed. IF there was a way make it so any member could update the index, then we are golden, as then it is wiki. All that would need updating is the label/title to something like "Player Videos" or "pro/elite player videos" etc.

Third, as mentioned, where do I put Satoshi Aida or Ryu Min Seung? They are of interest to this community, but are not appropriate to place in that section based on the title.

Honestly, I think a grid makes the most sense, but that too requires maintenance.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 09:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Japsican wrote:
Second, the index is not updated. Not only that, it requires maintenance, and there is no "owner." Last update was 2014. Not to mention, even I had no idea that index existed. IF there was a way make it so any member could update the index, then we are golden, as then it is wiki. All that would need updating is the label/title to something like "Player Videos" or "pro/elite player videos" etc.

I agree the index need to be updated... all we need is 1 or more volunteers to do it. I can give volunteers access to edit the index, that's easy. Allowing anyone to change is probably not a good idea, as the change of it getting stuffed up completely will be a lot higher. :lol:

So you're proposing the section "Pimples / Antispin Videos" should be renamed to "pro/elite player videos", or perhaps "Pimples / Anti pro/elite player videos"?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!