OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

How should OOAK Forum continue?
Leave things are they are 74%  74%  [ 20 ]
The site just needs a facelift 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
The site needs a major upgrade with much more modern features 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 12:57 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
Do whatever you need to do to keep this wonderful forum running. For me the truth is I'm getting over a knee reconstruction :swear: with the other one happening early next year. |( Covid didn't help either :punch:
Still playing our wonderful sport though, not competition only social but the best there is! :clap: :up:

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2023, 21:10 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
deleted wrote:
Perhaps it is possible to default to "active discussions" (let's say top 10 or 15 most recent) with the rest of the index below? This would mirror other forum formats more closely, without losing the advantages you mentioned.

I strongly agree with this take. I think it's important for those who come to the forum to be able to quickly see what the most recent chatter / topics are about without having to click anything. It shows that the forum is still active.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2023, 06:17 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Joo Se Kev wrote:
deleted wrote:
Perhaps it is possible to default to "active discussions" (let's say top 10 or 15 most recent) with the rest of the index below? This would mirror other forum formats more closely, without losing the advantages you mentioned.

I strongly agree with this take. I think it's important for those who come to the forum to be able to quickly see what the most recent chatter / topics are about without having to click anything. It shows that the forum is still active.

+1 on this - I'm somewhat biased since I have "Active Discussions" bookmarked and always start there. Works well on other forums too.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2023, 18:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

I'll look onto the possibility of getting a small list of active topics at the top... might take me a while as I'm not a programmer, but it might be a good challenge. :sweat:
It's a lot harder, because the software is now outdated and superceded by new versions, so there is no longer any support for the old version.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2023, 02:23 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I think the whole forum genre is going to major decline in general. The situation is not related to the table tennis and this forum.

I suggest to keep OOAKforums project as it is and try something very different from scratch.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2023, 03:08 
Super User

Blade: DHS 08X
FH: Jupiter 3
BH: TSP Spectol
Joo Se Kev wrote:
deleted wrote:

There is View active topics and View new posts

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2023, 13:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Omut wrote:
I think the whole forum genre is going to major decline in general. The situation is not related to the table tennis and this forum. I suggest to keep OOAKforums project as it is and try something very different from scratch.

Yes that's probably true.

Regarding something different from scratch, thanks to member dunc we have created an OOAK server on Discord.

You can use this link to join: https://discord.gg/Yw2hYUdz3g

It's grown quite fast, with a lot of member from this forum, but also a lot of new members.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2023, 21:34 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
piligrim wrote:
Joo Se Kev wrote:
deleted wrote:

There is View active topics and View new posts

Yes, and I use this feature myself, but the idea is for someone who isn't logged in and/or is NEW to the forum and may not know about that feature to have an easy to see list of the newest topics front and center without having to click anything.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2023, 14:49 
♫ Living On The Edge (Tape) ♫

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Rakza Z MAX
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
Is there any way the 'New Topic' button can be included on the home page too, for easier accessibility for someone new making a fresh post that wouldn't think to go into a relevant board to make their post? Even if the board selection is the first thing they do when they make a post. No biggie if it's in the wrong place, can just be moved.

I use the r/tabletennis subreddit a fair bit, but it can be hit and miss. I'll endeavour to make sure my comments link back to a relevant thread here if appropriate :D

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2023, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Vinnie wrote:
Is there any way the 'New Topic' button can be included on the home page too, for easier accessibility for someone new making a fresh post that wouldn't think to go into a relevant board to make their post? Even if the board selection is the first thing they do when they make a post. No biggie if it's in the wrong place, can just be moved.

Yes I would think that's certainly possible. It could be posted the the 'General' section as a default. It might lead to people being lazy though and using this for every post, creating a lot more work for myself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2023, 13:30 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
OK, I admit it. I haven't been posting as much as I used to. It is all my fault that there is not as much traffic as previous.

I too log in and View New Posts to get my fix.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2023, 13:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Retriever wrote:
OK, I admit it. I haven't been posting as much as I used to. It is all my fault that there is not as much traffic as previous.

Yep, I wasn't going to point fingers, but it's indeed all your fault. :swear: 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2023, 01:51 

Blade: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
FH: VICTAS 102 (ZLC side)2 mm
BH: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5m
haggisv wrote:
Although this forum is still a great place, with a bunch of great people and wealth of accumulated information, the traffic to the site is very slowly dwindling...has been for years. I think the main reason is the site looks a little outdated, and lacks the features that would attract the younger generation. This makes me wonder where we should be heading. Should be just leave things as they are, or is it worth the effort for a major upgrade to bring more people, especially the younger generation?

A major upgrade would be nice, but unfortunately I don't have the skills or knowledge to do this myself. Sure, I could probably pay someone to do this, but that's likely not going to be cheap, and I don't know if the cost be be worth it. I would very much like to keep the forum advertisement-free (for all logged-in members), so any payment would come out of my own pocket.

I would love to hear what you all think, both from those that have been with us for many years, but also new people.

I haven't joined this forum for a long time. Before that I was always in mandarin language forums. Since I begin to search English language forum, OOAK is the best I can found and truly great in many aspects. I was wondering who the biggest competitor is to OOAK? I can't found other forum more organized than OOAK. Comparing with mandarin language forums, the users here are indeed less active. Regarding supporting the forum, instead of ads, donation can be another option, for example, subscription and donation have been common in YouTube as long as there is a more clear plan of forum upgrade. In my opinion, upgrading search function can be one motivation because one big value of this forum is its database. Thanks for creating this forum!

Blade#1: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
Blade#2: Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Blade#3: Joo Saehyuk
FH: VICTAS 102 2.0mm
BH#1: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm (ALC side)
BH#2: Nittaku DO Knuckle 1.4mm
BH#3: Yasaka Anti Power

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2023, 02:29 

Blade: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
FH: VICTAS 102 (ZLC side)2 mm
BH: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5m
haggisv wrote:
Omut wrote:
I think the whole forum genre is going to major decline in general. The situation is not related to the table tennis and this forum. I suggest to keep OOAKforums project as it is and try something very different from scratch.

Yes that's probably true.

Regarding something different from scratch, thanks to member dunc we have created an OOAK server on Discord.

You can use this link to join: https://discord.gg/Yw2hYUdz3g

It's grown quite fast, with a lot of member from this forum, but also a lot of new members.

Just joined OOAK Discord. Seems a good place and there is phone App to easily interact with it.

Blade#1: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
Blade#2: Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Blade#3: Joo Saehyuk
FH: VICTAS 102 2.0mm
BH#1: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm (ALC side)
BH#2: Nittaku DO Knuckle 1.4mm
BH#3: Yasaka Anti Power

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2023, 15:46 

Forums do seem to be dying (noticed with mytt too) except maybe Dan. My engagement with TT is low within the last years and it seems there is less to talk about anyway - equipment and other innovations are lacking and stale. I noticed there is a 'Recent topics' section at the top of the mainpage - I don't remember if that was there before but that is definitely a good idea to help with how segmented the forum otherwise is (both good and bad). The site is fast and has a very clean design which I would say is the best feature. "Modern" redesigns tend to just add bloat and make things look like crap (random example if you remember how clean and efficient the PP shop design used to be and what they devolved it into these days instead) and/or attack you with ads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next