OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Should we add Reputation to the OOAKF?
Yes, sounds like fun 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
No, seems like more trouble than its worth 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Rep power?
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 18:39 
I know that there are other forums that have this. Its a little bar or number under your avatar that keeps track of the people who have either given you plus points for being helpful or negative points for probably being rude or obnoxious. If you don't know what I'm talking about try surfing around on some other forums. I can think of a couple members right off the bat (:) no pun intended) who would have high repage. This not only shows the members who are helping people out that they are appreciated but it also adds validity to answers if you see the person who answered your question has a lot of rep. It also might give more incentive to give factual/beneficial answers and refrain from being rude or mean. I'm not sure how exactly this could be implemented or if its even possible at all but it might be fun. Vote on it :)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 18:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Not a bad idea at all gibxam, not sure how easily it can be implemented.

We do have a system in place where people are nominated to get a custom title as you might have seen already stickied in the General section... not quite the same, but it offers some indication.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 19:01 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Despite what Slippery has correctly pointed out, I think the idea has a lot of merit. And despite Slippery's concern of his TT knowledge I think he is still pretty helpful to a lot of noobs. Often when a noob makes a post just getting a reply can feel helpful. Good one Max :thumleft:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 19:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

speedplay wrote:
In an ideal world, this would be great, but I'm afraid we would fail to implement this in the same way as every other forum (that I have seen) that uses this, namely, people find their friends here and give them high rep, so when a noob comes around, he might find that guys like me and Reb (with high posting accounts) might have a high rep, while truly knowledgeable guys like Mathias and Dark Horse might have a low rep, despite the fact that both these guys have more TT-knowledge in the nose then I have in my entire body.

Yes that is a good point...

Also the technical contribution to the forum can arguably be just as beneficial as those that make people feel welcome, or those that make the place fun to be at... so offering contribution points as some sort of reward for high quality post, may not be the fairest way...

Still your idea is good and appreciated...will just be hard to find a system that works...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 19:36 
Well in any event I have done a little bit of research on the subject. It appears that we can add-on the feature to the website via downloading it from the phpBB site, this is one of the ones I found: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=368075 It looks like it may be a little bit complex to install and get running. Haggisv are you the only person who is actually running the forum/administrating? because I am pretty sure then you will be the only one able to implement the new feature should you decide to add it. I have some programming experience and could do some more extensive research on how exactly this will be done should I have to/should people be interested :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 19:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think friendship and camaraderie here is very important. I find gaining knowledge here a good thing, but I friendly banter makes up a lot more of the forum IMO (and I think stats would support it). If the forum wasn't friendly as well as knowledgable I don't think there'd be half the membership.

I don't think there is any need to change your posting style to stay popular . I don't find any need to be unfriendly to express opinions, but if someone wants to interpret it that way, then that's their problem. I think these people are few and far between though.

Anyway, generally if someone gives good info there is always someone else who chimes in and agrees. If someone gives bad advice, there is equally always someone who disagrees and then there is usually more that do too. So I think it works as it is now, just be fun to have what Max suggested. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2008, 19:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think ONLY giving positive rep would work... don't like the idea of having to take it away... once you've earned it you keep it...

gibxam: Yes currently I do all the forum admin. That mod looks too scary to me... I don't mind simply mods, but complicated mods can often cause more trouble than it's worth...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 03:18 
Haggisv- do you know what version of phpBB we are using on this site? I will do some more research on finding a better reputation system and if more people vote yes I will try to make a video tutorial on :)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2008, 08:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Version 2.0.21

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 18:00 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Despite what Slippery has correctly pointed out, I think the idea has a lot of merit. And despite Slippery's concern of his TT knowledge I think he is still pretty helpful to a lot of noobs. Often when a noob makes a post just getting a reply can feel helpful. Good one Max :thumleft:

i can offer a suggestion on how to combat this problem.

say when a new user or ppl who have 50 posts or less votes, then it will only count as 1 rep point. but if a full member (50 - 99 posts) votes, then it will be worth 2 points. senior member 3 points, super user 4 points, custom title holder 5 points and mod 6 points. we can even use rep as a base for ranking and use that ranking level to determine how many reputation points their votes are worth.