OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 01:27 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Has there been any thought given to the possibility of having the default be that clicked links in posts open in new browser windows rather than in the same window as the post? I don't know whether this would be easy or not to change technologically, but if it is, it seems like the better approach, since many posts do contain links, and it would be nice to keep the original source page open while following the link. I know this is easy to do on the viewer's end by hitting "Ctrl" while opening the link, but it seems it might be better as the default setting. Any thoughts?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 02:11 

its easy enough to change a few changes afaik, seems like a good idea i always quite liked it on the older phpbb :)

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 04:18 
Super User

I agree. Most forums have it this way and its a little awkward that OOAK does not.

Saviga V 0.6

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 04:46 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I agree. I noticed that when I click on the shop link at the top of the page, it opens in a new tab. Maybe the coding could be changed to do the same for links posted in threads...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 09:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I forgot about this issue :oops: yes i agree.

It was intentionally implimented this way by phpbb3... something about being compliant with a new standard... I know it can be changed though, but only for new posts (unless old posts are edited and submitted again.

The links at the top were implimented by me manually, so that's why they are working properly... :wink:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 16:13 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I thought there was a change made at some point to have links in posts open up in new windows, but then, more recently, they started opening in the same window as the originating page once again. Was this a deliberate decision that was explained somewhere (I might've missed it), or something inadvertent that happened during the recent general forum upgrade? If it was inadvertent and it's easy to switch back, I think it would be a good idea, since it's a bit of a pain to lose the original page when opening a link.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 18:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes it would have stopped working since the latest upgrade and domain change. :(

Phpbb3 by default does not open links in new windows, so I made a modification in the previous version to make it work. Unfortunately this same mod did not work in this new version, and I have worked out why yet.

While I sort it out, the easiest way to make a link open in a new window (or tab) is to 'right-click' on the link instead of 'leftclick', and them you get the option of opening it in a new window.