OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:10

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OOAK Chat.
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 05:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
As long as the chat content would be available via the site's search function, i.e. it was saved and archived, I see no problem with it. Posting scheduled chats on topics of common interest might be a good way to encourage participation. Chats hosted by a pro player or industry vip could also be interesting and make for good archived content.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 07:37 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

speedplay wrote:
Forgot to add, but I think the chat should be members exclusively, perhaps another good feature to make lurkers join in?

I very much so agree.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 07:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Well if you've convince speedplay, who am I to stand ion the way :lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like it's worth at least a trial :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 07:59 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Speedplay, just like an old man like me, you worry too much. Give it a go, if it work, continue, otherwise, dump it on Vinnie's lap. :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 09:27 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
nathanso wrote:
As long as the chat content would be available via the site's search function, i.e. it was saved and archived, I see no problem with it. Posting scheduled chats on topics of common interest might be a good way to encourage participation. Chats hosted by a pro player or industry vip could also be interesting and make for good archived content.

How would you distinguish between "chats" to be made available via the site's search function and "chats" between two forum members who want that "chat" kept private?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 10:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm quite sure that most chat modules does not make the chats available for searches. By the sounds of it, most people only want more for a quick social chat or question, whereas the TT related discussion will remain on the forum, so it's ptrobably not such a big deal.

I'll find out what chat modules are available for phpbb, and how they work and integrate into the software...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 10:51 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

LOL speaking of chats... I just chatted with DWruck on facebook for about 10 minutes

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 11:08 
♫ Living On The Edge (Tape) ♫

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Rakza Z MAX
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
A wise choice.

I can't see what things would get discussed through the chat that wouldn't be either sent in a PM or not posted at all, though. A trial run will be good to see though.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 11:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I've had a bit of a look around, and a popular module for this phpbb forum is mChat. This basically installs a window at the top or bottom (preferred) of the screen, where you can chat to everyone.

It has some neat features, and I can set who has access to the chat (probably registered users only), there should be some moderators for chat as well.

What this particular one does not have, is a private chat where you talk to just one person... not sure how important that is to people?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 11:23 

The private chat probably would be good, but not necessary. It's not like it's a lifetime contract if you go with one, though, is it?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 11:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The one I'm referring to has the following options, which should give you some idea of what ti can do:

Admin permission setting/controls:

Admin board setting/chat controls:

There is a little demo of it here:
http://chat.phpbb3bbcodes.com/index.php

I would suggest we put it at the bottom of the screen though as we don't want it to be the focus of the forum. I would also not make ti aviable to guests, as you would not know who you're talking to.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 12:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
speedplay wrote:
Forgot to add, but I think the chat should be members exclusively, perhaps another good feature to make lurkers join in?

Yay!! :cheers:

Now you're starting to see the positives. I agree information should not be lost in chat, but I see good potential for such a facility. It could lead to a lot of good things we haven't possibly even thought of yet. If you don't try things, you can miss out on a lot. And for someone often espousing of stuff that should be kept in PM's, I'm surprised you haven't beaten down Haggisv's door to get it in already anyway! :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 12:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
I've had a bit of a look around, and a popular module for this phpbb forum is mChat. This basically installs a window at the top or bottom (preferred) of the screen, where you can chat to everyone.

It has some neat features, and I can set who has access to the chat (probably registered users only), there should be some moderators for chat as well.

What this particular one does not have, is a private chat where you talk to just one person... not sure how important that is to people?

I think both public and private chats would be neat, but let's start somewhere. It's progress at least!!

Actually I think its quite exciting to think there may be a new reason to come to the forum. I'm starting to fall to one side of the fence LOL.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 12:18 

It seems perfect apart from the private chat thing, but that could come later if we wanted it really badly.

I think we should go for it.

Maybe we could make a topic that you copy and paste any info if you deem that there might be info relevant to other people, or something?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 12:36 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I like the idea. I don't think it would take away from the public conversations, and it would be fun to chat t.t. with people half a world away!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next