OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spinlord Waran II
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 03:48 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Has anyone tried this rubber? I played with the original Waran for awhile but found it a bit too unreliable on blocks and chops (throw was too high), though great in every other department. This one is said to be even faster, so it might be great for all-out short pips attackers. Here is a review from TT-Maximum (if you're just interested in their overall review and not in any of the actual testing and commentary, skip to around 5:45 in the video):

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Spinlord Waran II
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 21:39 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
Has anyone tried this rubber? I played with the original Waran for awhile but found it a bit too unreliable on blocks and chops (throw was too high), though great in every other department. This one is said to be even faster, so it might be great for all-out short pips attackers. Here is a review from TT-Maximum (if you're just interested in their overall review and not in any of the actual testing and commentary, skip to around 5:45 in the video):

Hello,

I´m playing Waran II with 2mm sponge as FH-Rubber on an all+/off- Balsa/Carbo Wood (Arbalest Thor 6.0, new Version of Yinhe/Galaxy Speer).
BH is Spinlord Keiler 1,5.
The sponge is quite harder then the sponge of Waran.
It´s a bit faster and more direct (therefore more reliable) than Waran. Throw angle is in fact lower.
So it should suit you well.

Difficult is sometimes to find the right angle between throwing the ball into the net and throwing it over the table.
Block/Counter/Smash ist excellent. I try everythink to avoid chopping. Not because the rubber wouldn´t allow it, but because of tactics.

I like this rubber very much. On a faster wood, you maybe get problems controlling it.

Greetings Claus.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 00:34 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Hi Claus,

Are you still using Waran II? Have you tried it on the BH side, do you think it would work there, or is it a more FH-type rubber in your opinion?

I'm comfortable with Waran on my BH, but blocks are indeed sometimes unreliable. Also, I think I prefer harder sponge rubbers in general, so I'm considering switching to 1.8 mm Waran II.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 00:50 

Hi Ziv,

I changed to normal Waran on fh very soon after my last post under this topic. I found the throw angle of Waran II much to low. Therefore there was only a very small margin to hit the table instead of hitting the net or getting the ball to long.
With my all-wood TSP Reflex Award 50 off and Waran I, 2.0mm feel very comfortable.

Waran II may suit you better on backhand, because here the low angle is not such an issue, but i didn´t tried this.

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 01:00 
Super User

Thanks, Claus!

One more question - can you compare Waran II to normal Waran in the most important departments: pushes, blocks (I understand that version II is more reliable), spin, hits?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 01:21 

Hi,

Waran II feels more direct - naturally with it´s harder sponge
push is imho the same as Waran,
topspin is more difficult because of dwell time
block is a little bit more reliable because of harder sponge, but also a little more difficult because of throw angle.
smash same as block but make no mistake: Waran is very,very good on smash and block.

I think Waran II is a special rubber. Maybe it is good for you.

As said before, I play and played Waran and Waran II only on fh, bh may be another story.

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 14:33 
Super User

ziv wrote:
Hi Claus,

Are you still using Waran II? Have you tried it on the BH side, do you think it would work there, or is it a more FH-type rubber in your opinion?

I'm comfortable with Waran on my BH, but blocks are indeed sometimes unreliable. Also, I think I prefer harder sponge rubbers in general, so I'm considering switching to 1.8 mm Waran II.

Hi Ziv, what do you mean by blocks unreliable? I found the original Waran one of the best in terms of blocking control (amongst spinny pips). Are you talking about throw angle or too sensitive to spin? In that case, maybe classic spectol types are better, especially for shakehands backhand.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 23:35 
Super User

lasta wrote:
Hi Ziv, what do you mean by blocks unreliable? I found the original Waran one of the best in terms of blocking control (amongst spinny pips). Are you talking about throw angle or too sensitive to spin? In that case, maybe classic spectol types are better, especially for shakehands backhand.

Hi, lasta, yes, I meant that the sponge is perhaps a little bit too soft which results in a higher throw and the bottoming out problem.

I could not help ordering a sheet of Waran II which should arrive by Wed. Let's see how it suits my BH!

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 01:51 
Super User

I got my sheet of Waran II (red, 2.0 mm - is this the only thickness available?), put it on my backup blade (Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition) with MX-S on the other side, and went to the club on Wed to try it out.

My first impression was that blocks felt much more "solid" and direct. I didn't feel that the rubber "bottomed out" a single time. Of course, one could predict that given the difference in sponge hardness and thickness between the two versions of Waran.
Next, I don't know why, but my pushes were going higher than usual. Perhaps, this is the property of the blade that's different from my main blade?
I found flat hits to be more difficult with Waran II. Again, that could be affected by the blade as well as the sponge hardness and thickness. Given a choice, I would probably pick 1.8 mm for my BH.

Last, but perhaps the most important thing was that the setup turned out to be much heavier than my main one. Having played for a couple of hours, I felt exhausted; and after I'd lost 0-3 to a guy I was beating normally, I decided to switch to my main racket. It felt feather-light to me, and I beat the guy 3-0 and then 3-2.

The weight of the racket might have affected all 3 aspects of Waran II that I've described above.
I think I will put Waran II on my main racket and give it another chance. I really liked the feeling when blocking, and if I'm able to work out pushes and flat hits, it may become a good replacement for the regular Waran on the BH.

Last edited by ziv on 24 Nov 2018, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 02:56 
Super User

Hi Ziv, I would say give the waran 2 another chance. technically speaking a harder sponge will result in a more solid base thus more spin as well as higher throw angle.

Probably against your expectations, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. high pushes, more susceptible to spin etc can be fixed with technique and used to your advantage. Im sure you will find the 2 a better overall attacking rubber.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 02:58 
Super User

My style is probably different from yours, but if Waran 2 is available on 2.2mm or thicker, I would pick a sheet. The Waran 1 2mm actually only measures 1.8.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 04:30 
Super User

lasta wrote:
Hi Ziv, I would say give the waran 2 another chance. technically speaking a harder sponge will result in a more solid base thus more spin as well as higher throw angle.

Probably against your expectations, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. high pushes, more susceptible to spin etc can be fixed with technique and used to your advantage. Im sure you will find the 2 a better overall attacking rubber.

Hi lasta, yes, I will give it another try - hopefully, I will be able to play with it within 2-3 days.
Actually, I was expecting a lower throw from Waran II, and I think blocking kinda proved that - so high pushes are still a mystery for me. It's still possible that the behavior will be different with my other blade.

lasta wrote:
My style is probably different from yours, but if Waran 2 is available on 2.2mm or thicker, I would pick a sheet. The Waran 1 2mm actually only measures 1.8.

2.2 mm? Are you using SP on the FH side?

All stores carrying Waran II that I was able to find offer the only option of 2.0 mm thickness. But, as far as I can tell having measured it with a school ruler, those are honest 2 mm, not less.

Last edited by ziv on 28 Nov 2018, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2018, 21:54 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
I have found Waran 1 on the BH varies greatly on how it plays with the blade. I like it best on a slow blade with a just a bit of flexibility and good dwell as on a fast blade it is too point and shoot with little margin. More dwell and a bit of flex in the blade also gives Waran a higher throw and more control/ margin on blocking i.e enables easier passive play.

Watching top players use short pips on the FH they are more concerned with keeping power loops down with counter hits than having to lift the ball, so lower throw of say Waran may be less of an issue at their level.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 00:19 
Super User

I put Waran II on my main blade and played 6 or 7 friendly matches with it. I'm liking it so far!

The throw is indeed lower compared to the original Waran. I still put the ball into the net from time to time when pushing, but I think it won't take too much time to adjust.
Topspinning is more problematic but I don't use this technique often (this is one of the reasons why I switched to SP on the BH in the first place).
Flat hits, when performed properly, give a very nice and solid feeling that comes from the sponge and not from the blade. I'm missing a lot of them, though, but this is due to my poor technique - I'm doing too much side movement instead of forward.

I was playing a penholder guy the other day and he beat me by finding a serve which I wasn't able to receive effectively. That was a fast, low serve to my BH with no or a very little spin. If I pushed, the ball was too easy to attack; and I couldn't hit the ball as it was too low.
How would you approach such serves with SP?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 00:39 
Super User

You can flip if short, loop if long. Nothing wrong with topspinning with short pips, you don't always have to flat hit.

If your footwork is up to par, step around and take it with the forehand. Try to stand to the far left while receiving serves, helps with the step around. But do practice minding the risk of fast serves to far forehand.