OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 05:12 
Super User

I recently got a Stiga Clipper WRB and wanted to compare its performance with Stiga Clipper CR Non-WRB when used with short pips particularly TSP Spectol.

For those not familiar with these blades, the Stiga Clipper is a 7 ply blade with a thin soft top layer and harder thicker inner plies. The Stiga Clipper CR is a recent version wherein the top ply has been hardened by Ultraviolet ray treatment.

The Stiga Clipper CR WRB version has a hollow handle which makes the blade lighter and supposedly adds more feel.

Weight:

Stiga Clipper CR - 95 grams
Stiga Clipper CR WRB - 89 grams

I used the TSP Spectol 21 2.1 mm as the fixed variable and control. This SP is a medium grip short pips - somewhere between RITC 802 and 802-40.

Observations:

Stiga Clipper CR Non-WRB gives a more solid and duller feel. The balls seems a bit faster - perhaps 10-15% more. It is consistent in blocking and punches. Very stable.
In physics, f=ma or force is equal to mass times acceleration. With more mass in the 95 g blade, I could generate more force thus a faster ball.

Stiga Clipper CR WRB has more vibration and has more flex. It felt like this blade was "thinner" for some reason. My loops and rolls are performed with more feel and with more spin maybe because of the increased dwell time. Control was better.

Bottom line:

I played against several regular opponents and beat them just the same with either blade. Of course, I was aware of the blade differences and sought to maximize their performance.
I thought Stiga Clipper CR Non-WRB was more deceptive because its seemingly stiffer blade allowed more dead balls.

Stiga Clipper CR WRB had much better control and there is more room for performing loops. I played against a defender and was surprised that I could lift balls easier. However I missed the speed and power of the plain Stiga Clipper CR.

The bottom line then is that one has to choose which blades suits ones style - either a solid blocking type or spinnier one. Its a trade off between speed and touch/control.

I believe that with smooth rubber on one side, Stiga Clipper CR WRB is the better choice.

--------------and--------------------
TSP Spinpips 21 - 2.0 mm - FH
TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm - BH
BBC 9-10-9

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 17:50 

Hah,

If only i searched this before :P

What's spin if you can't reach the ball?
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7742/47093631.gif

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2016, 01:15 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Yeap clipper cr wrb definitely have a straight forward motive, attack attack attack haha, that being said it improves my chopping as i have to be aware more on sensitive plays, the amount of energy needed to go over the net when chopping etc.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 22:01 

I play a Clipper CR WRB with Stiga Clippa 2.0 FH and BH.
I always return to this blade, after playing with Adidas C300, Xiom Extreme S, Joola Spirit Off.
The only disadvantage for me is the weight balance. The risk of a wrist injury is greater with its forward weight balance. I played heavier bats (total weight) but never had any problems with my wrist.
Due to this balance I doubt if the lighter CR-WRB can't hit as fast as a CR NON-WRB

Another comparison that would be interesting is between CR and a non CR version. I read someweher that a NON CR can produce more spin and so pushes with a CR frame can be to easily killed by your oponent. Unfortumately I never tried the NON CR version.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2016, 19:30 

According to the product specifications of Stiga self a Clipper WRB is a little bit faster then a regular Clipper
Clipper WRB: speed: 106, Control: 66
Clipper: speed: 101, Control: 68