OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 07:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 00:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting. I hit a little this afternoon with Spectol on the backhand, and to my great surprise my regular old inverted backhand topspin drives were all going in. No adjustment needed. I didn't feel much difference between it and inverted until I tried a backhand loop, and then that ended up in the net.

So Spectol is "classic"? It certainly has been around since I was in high school and before (in the 1970s). I remember buying a sheet of it back then (that sheet was green!). Don't remember very much about it other than it was green.

I would have assumed that something that played like that would be "grippy". Which of the cheap Chinese short pips would compare closest to Spectol?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 04:48 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Xiom Offensive S
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: TSP Regalis max
iskandar taib wrote:
Interesting. I hit a little this afternoon with Spectol on the backhand, and to my great surprise my regular old inverted backhand topspin drives were all going in. No adjustment needed. I didn't feel much difference between it and inverted until I tried a backhand loop, and then that ended up in the net.

So Spectol is "classic"? It certainly has been around since I was in high school and before (in the 1970s). I remember buying a sheet of it back then (that sheet was green!). Don't remember very much about it other than it was green.

I would have assumed that something that played like that would be "grippy". Which of the cheap Chinese short pips would compare closest to Spectol?

Iskandar

Now I am no SP expert, just starting on that journey, but do use spectol. I would say there is some adjustment vs BH topspin drives, but not too much. My research that made me choose Spectol as a starting point suggests that it is one of the best allrounders with characteristics in the middle; not too grippy but able to generate decent spin etc. , not too spin sensitive.

The method of generating spin seems quite different to me but is not easy to describe...... needing to keep the ball on the rubber for longer but not really use the sponge.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 20:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In other words, brush?

I tend to use a lot of wrist when driving on the backhand, maybe that's helping. Since I play with inverted on the backhand I'm not terribly concerned about spin sensitivity (whatever pips I'd choose would probably react less than inverted would) but I would be concerned with having to adapt to something that plays very different from inverted. Spectol surprised me because I thought there would be a big difference between it and inverted, such as what I experienced when trying medium pips (Friendship 563). If I were going to get into short pips in a serious way I'd get Spectol, but it's a little too expensive if I'm not.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 23:57 

I don't see Valor Premier OX short pips listed on the list. It should probably go on the classic list. Valor now has a version of the rubber with 3 thicknesses of sponge.

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 12:12 
Super User

so_devo wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Now I am no SP expert, just starting on that journey, but do use spectol. I would say there is some adjustment vs BH topspin drives, but not too much. My research that made me choose Spectol as a starting point suggests that it is one of the best allrounders with characteristics in the middle; not too grippy but able to generate decent spin etc. , not too spin sensitive.

The method of generating spin seems quite different to me but is not easy to describe...... needing to keep the ball on the rubber for longer but not really use the sponge.

Which version speed ?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 09:10 

Where would the spinlord rubbers fall in the grippy vs classic sp debate? like degu, degu 2, waran, and gipfelstrum

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 20:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Primorac OFF-
FH: Sriver L Max
BH: GRASS D.TecS 0.5
berkeleydoctor wrote:
Where would the spinlord rubbers fall in the grippy vs classic sp debate? like degu, degu 2, waran, and gipfelstrum

Degu is soft, lots of spin, not much effect, lots of feeling. Degu II is the same topsheet but with slower sponge. Waran is much faster, but still has a lot of grip and spin. I've not tried Gipfelsturm, but I'd expect the family resemblance to be there. Basically all these Spinlord SPs are "modern", grippy shortpips, rather than traditional hard pips like 802 or 652.

Read my blog: "LordCope's Latest Learnings Log": http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24452

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2016, 02:00 

Haifa Dolphin

Dolphin (purple sponge) is spinny, imo. Fat pips stacked closely together with check pattern on top. Fast and loop ok but little effect.

I'm new to pips and tt in general so I'm comparing to limited experience with Nittaku Mini (good effect) and Dr. Evil.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 03:03 
Super User

LordCope wrote:
berkeleydoctor wrote:

Degu is soft, lots of spin, not much effect, lots of feeling. Degu II is the same topsheet but with slower sponge. Waran is much faster, but still has a lot of grip and spin. I've not tried Gipfelsturm, but I'd expect the family resemblance to be there. Basically all these Spinlord SPs are "modern", grippy shortpips, rather than traditional hard pips like 802 or 652.

I m looking for a tensor equivalent of 802 and good sink/control ratio of 802 I m playing now with zava and moristo zava is too bouncy in 2.0mm.I Play cpen