OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 01:39 
Super User

Joola Tango Ultra added to sticky pips section-Ian

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2011, 10:05 
Super User

Kokutako

Tuple 119

added to list of classic short pips 8/24/2011

Ian

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 17:48 
Super User

gekogark1212 wrote:
Xiom's SP are in the grippy,
Most of Butterfly are (Flare, Ray, Flare 2), though their Challenger attack and speedy po are in-between.
Andro's Blowfish and BF+ are grippy, but their Logo is classical.

hey geogark what are your impresions about blowfish,blowfish+ ....do they sound like glued? spinny?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2011, 19:20 
Chinese Forum Spy

They do sound glued yes, and I'd say they're at least as spiny as a new sheet of zava, so yeah I'd call them grippy.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 02:19 
Super User

gekogark1212 wrote:
They do sound glued yes, and I'd say they're at least as spiny as a new sheet of zava, so yeah I'd call them grippy.

how is blowfish(not +) compared to 802 in terms of spin or any clasical spinny pips, is it hard to loop?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 09:35 
Chinese Forum Spy

Well spin wise, I'd sy 802 wins out, but it could be because I find Chinese pips much easier to spin with. With regards to looping, sorry I just dot use that stroke at all with my pip, I still backhand loop with inverted, but the only pip I could actually loop with was the bomb hammer, even the 802-40 didn't loop too well for me. :S

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 04:20 
Super User

gekogark1212 wrote:
Well spin wise, I'd sy 802 wins out, but it could be because I find Chinese pips much easier to spin with. With regards to looping, sorry I just dot use that stroke at all with my pip, I still backhand loop with inverted, but the only pip I could actually loop with was the bomb hammer, even the 802-40 didn't loop too well for me. :S

how do you deal blocking spinny loop with blowfish(not+)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 11:08 
Chinese Forum Spy

bbkon wrote:

basic block, punch block, soft block, side spin block, smash, chop block...it really just depends on what you want to do with the ball

Honestly, mate if you're this interested in the rubber, just buy a sheet or trade it and hit with it in practice. There's no point asking how I would use it or deal with incoming shots with it, because you are not me. You are more likely to have more touch skills and shots whereas I like to point and shoot.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2012, 15:50 
Super User

gekogark1212 wrote:
bbkon wrote:

basic block, punch block, soft block, side spin block, smash, chop block...it really just depends on what you want to do with the ball

Honestly, mate if you're this interested in the rubber, just buy a sheet or trade it and hit with it in practice. There's no point asking how I would use it or deal with incoming shots with it, because you are not me. You are more likely to have more touch skills and shots whereas I like to point and shoot.

adidas is unveiling short pips i wonder if they will be as p5 rubber: great control and spin

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 05:01 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
julian wrote:
DHS 651 652
Butterfly Challenger attack
Dr N Pistol (Leopard as well maybe???? I remember it having more grip than pistol)
RITC 802
Stiga Clipper (If i remember right)

leopard has much less grip, have both sheets infront of me right now.

clippa is a rather grippy sheet, wouldnt list it under "classic"

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 04:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi Ian!

I have played with all the Friendship SP rubbers, And I have tried all of them in ox and sponge. Even tried 802-40 in ox. IMHO the 799 is actually grippier than the 802-40. Both in Ox and with sponge. The 799 with a 1.5mm HRS medium soft sponge is clearly more grippy than 802-40 with a 1.8mm soft sponge. This came as a surprise to me because we have all heard how grippy 802-40 is. However, taking a look at the 799, the pips are VERY close together, which explains this.

I now play with 799 ox on my BH. It is a very spinny chopper and a great hitter.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 00:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting. I hit a little this afternoon with Spectol on the backhand, and to my great surprise my regular old inverted backhand topspin drives were all going in. No adjustment needed. I didn't feel much difference between it and inverted until I tried a backhand loop, and then that ended up in the net.

So Spectol is "classic"? It certainly has been around since I was in high school and before (in the 1970s). I remember buying a sheet of it back then (that sheet was green!). Don't remember very much about it other than it was green.

I would have assumed that something that played like that would be "grippy". Which of the cheap Chinese short pips would compare closest to Spectol?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 04:48 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
iskandar taib wrote:
Interesting. I hit a little this afternoon with Spectol on the backhand, and to my great surprise my regular old inverted backhand topspin drives were all going in. No adjustment needed. I didn't feel much difference between it and inverted until I tried a backhand loop, and then that ended up in the net.

So Spectol is "classic"? It certainly has been around since I was in high school and before (in the 1970s). I remember buying a sheet of it back then (that sheet was green!). Don't remember very much about it other than it was green.

I would have assumed that something that played like that would be "grippy". Which of the cheap Chinese short pips would compare closest to Spectol?

Iskandar

Now I am no SP expert, just starting on that journey, but do use spectol. I would say there is some adjustment vs BH topspin drives, but not too much. My research that made me choose Spectol as a starting point suggests that it is one of the best allrounders with characteristics in the middle; not too grippy but able to generate decent spin etc. , not too spin sensitive.

The method of generating spin seems quite different to me but is not easy to describe...... needing to keep the ball on the rubber for longer but not really use the sponge.

185g

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015, 20:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

In other words, brush?

I tend to use a lot of wrist when driving on the backhand, maybe that's helping. Since I play with inverted on the backhand I'm not terribly concerned about spin sensitivity (whatever pips I'd choose would probably react less than inverted would) but I would be concerned with having to adapt to something that plays very different from inverted. Spectol surprised me because I thought there would be a big difference between it and inverted, such as what I experienced when trying medium pips (Friendship 563). If I were going to get into short pips in a serious way I'd get Spectol, but it's a little too expensive if I'm not.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 23:57 

I don't see Valor Premier OX short pips listed on the list. It should probably go on the classic list. Valor now has a version of the rubber with 3 thicknesses of sponge.

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next