OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: 799-1 vs Galaxy Pluto
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 07:31 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I've been messing about with short pips lately in an attempt to create a more all-around defensive game. And while I've made some good progress in learning to chop with short pips, I've found that against very spinny and fast loops I still have a little work to do :lol: One trick I've learned to get around this problem is to play a nice sidespin fish that is deep and fairly high to the backhand instead of trying to chop the ultra spinny loops. Basically, it's the same shot the pros use on their forehand when they can't chop a loop with the inverted side :wink: Anyway, After testing out various short pips such as: 802, 802-40, Spectol, Pluto, and 799-1, I eventually narrowed it down to Pluto versus 799-1.

I tested the Pluto in 1.3mm on a Matsushita Pro Blade, and the 799-1 in 0.6mm on the Joo Se Hyuk blade...

1) Pushing: The control and consistency felt about the same between the two rubbers, the main difference was that Pluto had more spin reversal and tended to pop-up a little, and the 799-1 was easier to keep lower and could create more spin.

2) Attacking underspin: The 799-1 felt much better in this area. The Pluto could create effective attacks, but felt rather slow and dead. The 799-1 on the other hand felt much more solid and inspired more confidence when hittting. It's ability to create spin kept the attacks low and fast.

3) Countering Topspin: This category again goes to the 799-1. I found it ridiculously easy to hit against topspin with great control. The thin sponge allowed me to really feel the ball. In contrast, the Pluto took a little more adjusting because of the deadish feel, but because of the slight spin reversal, the balls were a little more difficult to deal with.

3) Blocking: Both of these rubbers are great for blocking. The Pluto created slow, dead balls that made for a nice change of pace, and the 799-1 sacrifices that spin-reversal in place of speed and accuracy. The Pluto needs a definite forward movement with blocks, and the 799-1 you have to angle the paddle down more to compensate for spin.

4) Chopping: Pluto wins hands-down in this area. Control was great due to the dead sponge and low sensitivity to spin. I was able to out-chop my partners loops for the first time since switching to short pips. The 799-1 was also good for chopping, just not quite as effective as Pluto was. One thing that 799-1 was good for was to crank up the spin when chopping drives and flat hits. The control in chopping for these two pips is definitely higher than the other short pips I've tried, but against spinnier loops the sensitivity to spin that 799-1 has becomes more noticeable.

These are both great pips; unfortunately, both are on the list to be banned next year :x go figure...

If I had to choose I'd go with 799-1 because of it's more all-around abilities and its over-all feel. My next test is to try the Pluto on the same 0.6mm sponge and put it on the Joo to see it that helps the feel when attacking without sacrificing to much of its chopping ability.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2007, 08:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice analysis JSK! I think the Pluto will probably survice the ban... the 799-1 does not look good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2007, 09:32 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

haggisv wrote:
Nice analysis JSK! I think the Pluto will probably survice the ban... the 799-1 does not look good...

That's good to hear, but I'm still sad about the 799-1. It's funny because even in 0.6 the 799-1 outspins Pluto in 1.3, oh well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 13:31 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

a bit of an update...

I suspected that Pluto had more offensive potential than my previous test revealed so I managed to separate the topsheet from the 1.3mm sponge and switched it to a soft, 0.6mm sponge. For some reason, I've found that when flat hitting with low friction short pips like Pluto and 799-1, I tend to like the feeling of the ball on the blade. I also moved it from the Matsushita Pro to the harder and faster Joo Se Hyuk blade. Upon testing, I found it was easier to attack with, but it still remained fairly controlled when chopping. I suspect that the increase in offensive potential might have more to do with the switch to the Joo than the switch to the thinner sponge; in fact, I mainly switched to a thinner sponge because I was afraid it would be too fast on the Joo blade. Anyway, I was able to finish the point with backhand pick hits when the need arised so that's good enough for me 8) The spin reversal on chops and chop blocks was also a little better due to the thinner sponge and the harder blade!

Due to the impending ban on frictionless rubbers in which (for some reason)799-1 has been included, I'll probably switch to the above set-up unless I find something better in the next few weeks. My next test will probably be a shoot out between Pluto and Pistol (just got a sheet in 1.0 for my b-day). I'll probably make a separate thread to review Pistol as there seems to be a certain amount of interest/mystery about this rubber. May take a week or two though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2007, 14:11 
Super User

Are the pips on Pistol smooth on the tops? How soft and springy is the sponge? I'd love to try it if the tops are smooth and it's fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 00:42 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet so this is only based on visual inspection: the pips are about the same length as Pluto which I would say is medium-short. The tops aren't extremely textured, but there is a slight checkered pattern on them. Again, it's really pretty similiar to Pluto except Pistol has a more finished, clean look, and the pips are a little thinner and softer. The sponge is a totally different animal. It's basically a piece of soft foam with a glue sheet attached to it! It's very soft, but it seems in no way, springy. This is a bit of a stretch, but if you could imagine what it feels like to push your finger down on an earplug, then you'll have a rough idea of what it feels like pushing down on these pips on top of that foam. It's very soft and compresses easily, but there is no elasticity to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 01:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Quote:
After testing out various short pips such as: 802, 802-40, Spectol, Pluto, and 799-1,

Have you tried Dr.Evil? It should be great for chopping, maybe even better than Pluto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007, 08:57 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

I heard some bad things about it so I avoided it at first, but lately I've been hearing some favorable reviews so I might go ahead and get a sheet. I was thinking of putting it under a thin sponge and seeing if that gave it a little more spin potential.