OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 15:33 

Blade: Garaydia ZLC
FH: Dignics 05
BH: Dignics 09C
I have just discovered the wonder of short pimples. I have been using 802 Mystery III on 1.6 sponge on my BH for almost a month now. I have just joined a tournament using this setup: 729 Red Spirit blade, BH 802 and FH Yasaka Mark V max. I lost most games but was able to squeak out a single win. I totally enjoyed myself specially when opponents are thrown off their usual games trying to adjust playing against SP. I believe my game has improved a lot using pimples: I recieved serves better, can set the pace with my pushes and the best thing I love about it is my blocking is more controlled. I can block and contain the spinniest loops and strongest drives with my BH and keep the ball on the table.

I believe my pimples works well with the Red Spirit Allround I am using, I have tried it on a Clipper but it was too bouncy specially on blocking. My main offensive weapon is the spinny loop and loop spin kill on either wing. I am adept at twiddling such that I can execute my kill shot with my inverted on either BH or FH. My smash needs a lot of improvement and I don't use it that much. I hate really fast carbon blades because of the lesser dwell makes it difficult to execute my loops and my blocks almost always go off the table (too strong). I play exclusively near the table.

Can anyone help me find a blade suitable for my 802? My priority is control rather than speed, and the ability to loop near the table.
Hoping for suggestions from our seasoned players.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 15:45 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I don't think short pips are really meant for looping at all... inverted are much more suitable for this. I'd hate to steer you away from pips though... :( :lol:

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 16:27 

haggisv wrote:
I don't think short pips are really meant for looping at all... inverted are much more suitable for this. I'd hate to steer you away from pips though... :( :lol:

Sir haggisv! Hello
What I meant was a blade that will allow for some dwell time and good looping on my FH using Mark V or Yinhe Moon; which also means that it will offer the same to my BH when I "twiddle" and loop with the same rubbers. My short pips I exclusively use to return service, push, block and smash (very poor in smashing, still learning).

So a blade with those strokes in mind. I tried Clipper and Stiga S-3000 and did not like it. I tried it on a carbon blade and did not like it also. So probably a wooden blade with good control and the capability to do loops.

What do you think? Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: 29 May 2012, 19:59 

DHS PG-7 is a very nice blade for looping and pips. It's very cheap too :)

If you think PG-7 is fast for you, you can try Palio Emperor Dragon. It's a carbon blade, but it's not too fast, yet powerful and control is great.

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 04:50 
Super User

Haggis is great and a pips enthusiast-now for a little tough love-short pips are not the rubber of choice for looping not even Stiga Radical, Joola Tango Ultra, or TSP spin pips-the stickiest spinniest pips around (802-40 is down the list from these BTW). Can you loop with short pips certainly will you win with them when your game evolves or 2000 (USTTA ranking), no, sadly no. Should you scrap your new found love of pips-Heck NO!

Firstly-please look at the list of classic and spinny short pips at the beginning of this section-then come back...(if you have not read it so far)-then look at the short treatise on pips out rubber stickied on the equipment forum...then come back.

Short pips out is meant to succeed by power, placement, and control of your opponents spin. You will never out spin a looper (or chopper) using short pips. So how to win?

Aggression-controlled aggression: Lets look at Johnny Huang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1QzCylggBc

pay close attention at about 1:27 you will see your "loop shot." Huang ganme his consisted of Smashes, flips, flip-hits, flicks, and 1 loop...notice how often there is a definate "crack" that means Huang is making solid contact straight thru the ball...

Lets move onto Miao Miao who plays with short pips on her forehand and medium pips on her backhand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMiDQs5IaVQ

As a pips player you must attack quickly and you will be "streaky." Look at the world class pips players for a model you can use to forward your own game. ;)

Ian

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 11:52 

I'm really sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. My current setup is Mark V on FH which I use for looping and 802 Mystery III on BH to recieve serves, push, block and smash (still learning this stroke). I twiddle a bit to allow me to loop with Mark V on my BH also. I never intended or even dreamed of looping using the short pips!

Relative to all these, I am soliciting the vast knowledge and experience of the contributors to this site for recommendations on what blade/s would be ideal for such.

Thank you and God bless.

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 12:13 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

not sure about looping but with http://www.presports.com/lkt-ayous-hino ... p-683.html
and 802 could be same sponge as yours works quite well for hitting anyway. havent looped much with it as i sold that setup to a friend but i think it should be ok plus this blade is realy cheap anyway but well made

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 13:27 
Super User

Knuckle Ball wrote:
I'm really sorry, but I think I was misunderstood. My current setup is Mark V on FH which I use for looping and 802 Mystery III on BH to recieve serves, push, block and smash (still learning this stroke). I twiddle a bit to allow me to loop with Mark V on my BH also. I never intended or even dreamed of looping using the short pips!

Relative to all these, I am soliciting the vast knowledge and experience of the contributors to this site for recommendations on what blade/s would be ideal for such.

Thank you and God bless.

Ah so sorry, Here take a look at Wang Tao: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQTeuwgo ... re=related

Unlike many players who use there pips out backhand until they have a forehand opening Wang Tao
feature his backhand pips out. Notice how he even keeps his loop strokes above table height. He is an excellent model to study and then adapt to your game.

Ian

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 20:20 

Hi all,

I'm new to SPs and need your advice about appropriate blade for short pips. I play shakehand in attacking style with grippy pips forehand and classic short pips backhand and would like to choose blade that's would be the most appropriate for that style.

To my mind topic "ON REVIVING THE CLASSIC PIPS-OUT STYLE – FOR SHAKE-HANDERS" contains very nice guide about choosing blade:

Choosing a blade you should keep in mind that the fastest blades now available have been developed for use with inverted rubbers; they are not for pips-out attackers. It is also important that the blade is quite rigid, or you will lose precision when you drive and smash; for the main kind of contact with the ball is solid, so any deformation of the blade on contact will compromise the angle, therefore the precision. A 7-ply, consisting either of 7 layers of wood or of 5 layers wood and 2 synthetic layers that make the blade more rigid, is best, even for ALL+ blades. Despite the required rigidity of the blade, its feel should be rather soft. Carbon in a blade can therefore be a problem, because it makes the blade very hard and the dwell-time very low; the latter may compromise control. But relatively soft carbon layers (arylate, kevlar) are fine. Also, if the outer wooden plies are relatively soft or thick, this may compensate the hardness of the carbon. One of the best kind of carbon blades, though, is the one with outer plies which have been made firmer by "weaving" thin carbon rods through them, instead of adding carbon as a ply (this is done, for instance, in the Sword V8). A relatively low weight helps to get to the ball quickly, especially when switching from forehand to backhand and vice versa, but weight is not as much a problem as it can be for loopers, who have to swing the blade a long way, whereas all you do with it is punch, essentially. Balsa in a frame (to make it light-weight) is not a good idea, generally, as this kind of wood has higher dwelling time at low speed and lower dwell at high speed, which is exactly the opposite of what you would need as a pips-out player; but very thin layers of it, as for instance in Friendships 7-ply Bomb, will not affect the blade too much. Finally, a straight handle helps to stabilize the blade when holding it, which is important, as getting the angle right is essential to your technique.
But I have a problem to choose right blade.
Many people say that one can't go wrong with Stiga Clipper or AVX P700 however I feel that I need a slower blade- if consider Stiga Clipper to be OFF, then I need OFF-. It would be nice if blade's weight won't be more than 85g.
Could you advise some blades?
Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 08:35 

one of the best pips are 729-802 1.8 mm red and you have to play with Stigga clipper or some other alternatives ( Gambler Dj fly) from Zeropong .com is an amazing blade ,Dont get me wrong !! i have two Stiga Clipper ,, but Gambler is more stiff and rigid than clipper and also lighter ..i have put 1.5 mm 729-799 rubber and its really good.i have tried the carbons but they dont go very well with short pips!! even the best short pips player HE JHE WEN (HOANITO) is playing with 08 DHS wood blade.. i am playing short medium long anti and inverted and got more than 40 blades and this is a experiences i have got and love to play with short pips.. but maybe you have to try Victas 101 rubber !!!! very deceptive and tricky
viva pips players

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 02:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Look for a stiff, non-Balsa cored blade. It should have good feel, i.e. long dwell time, since the margin for error with SP strokes is small.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 03:06 
Super User

Clipper Classic is just so good for pips play IMO.

There's a reason why it's so famous. It's a pinch pricier but honestly how often do you buy a blade? You buy one and you're set for years & years.

I also had a DHS PG7. THat's nice. A pinch better for inverted IMO than the clipper but I found DHS's penhold handle to be thicker & fatter. Wasn't as skinny or as thin as Stigas. I had to do a fair amount of modding before it got about perfect. I sanded the part that rests on your actual hand (like far down the neck) to be kinda concave. Then it fit perfect. Before it was too fat & round.

If you can spring for the Clipper, I'd go that. If you're on a $ pinch, you can pick up the PG7 from China-friend on ebay for like $27 or so. And you'll get free shipping. He's great to deal with. It is a nice blade as well.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 10:31 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Avalox P700 is the other classic sp blade. Similar to clipper in design and feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk