OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 16:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 21:01 

Yes, it was designed for the larger ball. I've seen other rubber sheets designed for the 44mm ball as well. I know for sure that Nittaku also produces rubber for the large ball.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 23:29 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Hey guys, long story cut short, I don't like spin pips chop sponge at all lol.

Its better than 802 for playing inverted strokes but if you can imagine an inverted rubber you left in your car for 30 years but it came out still with a little grip and then you glued it on... That's how I felt super spin pips chop 2.

Doesn't chop for me as well as my inverted the rubber let alone 802. It has some good points, ie good control, slow but I dunno its not for me because 802 is harder to use but its got awesomeness when you get it right and chop sponge is like mediocre when you get it right and its very hard to get it right. Plus it ruined the feedback in my blade :). I already pulled it off the blade I'm so confidant that 802 is superior.

It was worth a test because sounded good in theory and might be for some people but no good for me.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 23:34 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
That's pretty much exactly what I found, foam.

I've got standard Spectol and 802 both on their way to me from OOAK so I'll try and get a comparison up ASAP.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 00:13 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Which thickness 802 did you get? I've tried 1.0 and 1.5. Using the 1.0 at the moment, it chops a LOT easier and better than chop sponge 2 but is much faster...

Maybe it would be interesting in .5mm on the right blade.

I believe supachop won the Vic country championships chopping with spectol probably in .5mm so that's likely to be good stuff.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 00:55 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I've read in numerous places that chopping with SPs is actually easier with a thicker sponge, so I've opted for 1.4-1.7mm sponges on both rubbers.

I was also going to give the original Super SpinPips a go (leatherback uses these I believe, on the JSH blade), and I was going to get an 802-40 topsheet with a separate soft sponge (as I'd read somewhere that using one of the Air sponges made this combination "far and away the best for SP chopping on a hard blade") but I ran out of money :lol:

Before I had my operation a fortnight ago one of the guys from my club was giving me some inverted backhand chop training. To land the ball with inverted, and to land the ball with SSCS2, I needed nearly exactly the same technique (as opposed to LP where my bat angle was entirely different and the length of my stroke wasn't as important). However, the inverted (Omega IV Elite) was spinnier and I felt the chop much better than with the SPs. I don't think the SSCS2 gives a good reflection of SP chopping at all - I don't think it provides any control or spin insensitivity above an inverted rubber.

This thread is the third place where I've read that super-soft sponges don't work for SP chopping. Yuto Muramatsu seems to be able to use them, but looking at his technique I'm fairly sure he'd be able to chop well with an inverted backhand too - especially if he opted for a thinner sponge on a more controlled rubber.

In short, it's really easy to chop low spin balls with SSCS2 but trying to control heavy topspin is like using inverted on your backhand - doable, but a lot harder than LPs.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 01:13 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yes I don't think this offers any advantage over inverted for defence.

802 is quite a lot more slippery and the difference in control chopping 1.5 vs 1.0 is very small and the 1.5 hits better. The main reason I'm using the 1.0 is because its cut for an oversize blade and my 1.5 sheet isn't :).

I don't know why yuto doesnt use 802 but I can see why most sp Chinese choppers do. Its really no harder to chop loops with 802 than lp.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2013, 03:58 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
dunc wrote:
That website actually states, The coating is particularly suitable for playing with larger balls.

Well, then we are already prepared for the next move of the ITTF... :lol:

On topic: as long as I can remember (+- 5 years) this pip is reviewed at noppentest. I don't think there was any mentioning of a larger ball then. Maybe the phrase you quote refers to the transitioning of the 38mm to the 40mm ball, the 40mm ball being the larger one.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 01:21 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

foam wrote:
I don't know why yuto doesnt use 802

No, neither can I... don't suppose anyone on here can get in touch to ask him for an interview? Go haggisv, go!

foam wrote:
but I can see why most sp Chinese choppers do. Its really no harder to chop loops with 802 than lp.

If that's the case I'm really looking forward to trying the 802. I'm going to put Spectol on my Innershield and 802 on my JSH (as long-term that's the blade I want to use). I'll probably bin the SSCS2, or send it to leatherback for him to give us his opinions on.

I was hoping they would turn up today as I'm doing a couple of hours drills this evening, but no such luck. Hopefully I'll be able to have a go on Friday evening instead.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2013, 08:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Lorre wrote:
dunc wrote:
That website actually states, The coating is particularly suitable for playing with larger balls.

On topic: as long as I can remember (+- 5 years) this pip is reviewed at noppentest. I don't think there was any mentioning of a larger ball then. Maybe the phrase you quote refers to the transitioning of the 38mm to the 40mm ball, the 40mm ball being the larger one.

TSP themselves put this rubber in the 44mm catagory, which only seems to be used in Japan.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 03:51 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
haggisv wrote:
Lorre wrote:
dunc wrote:

TSP themselves put this rubber in the 44mm catagory, which only seems to be used in Japan.

Haggisv is right. I have one here with 1,8 mm sponge

The back cover says :
"For playing with large balls under JTTA rules:
L-catcher is designed to produce optimum playing characteristics for the soft 44 mm large tt ball. L-catcher will produce excellent control for both offensive and defensive players""

then it says also:
"For playing with 38mm balls under ITTF rules:
The L-catcher topsheet with it's soft elastic sponge produces a unique type of knuckle-effect shot along with a great ability to vary ball placement. These characteristics are especially helpful for defensive players"

I still have to try it but it looks like a shorter P4 with the same sponge.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 04:03 
Super User

Blade: Donic alligator combi
FH: FS Bloom Power max.
BH: TSP curl P4 1,0mm
Picture L-catcher 1,8 mm vs P4 1,5 mm

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 06:39 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
I didn't know they had 44mm ball competitions in Japan, so my bad! :angel:

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2013, 11:05 
The King

The tops of the l catcher pips seem to have rounded edges or is that only on the photos?

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 07:12 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Tonight I managed to get a knock with my two new SPs. It wasn't the best knock in the world as I got roped into playing for a team a division higher than me. Not ideal two weeks after a knee operation but I won a game so it's cool :lol:

Between games I asked one of my friends in the Premier division to loop for me, and holy cow, the difference between Spectol/802 and the SSCS2 is like chalk and cheese.

Chopping (or even just trying to return) heavy topspin with SSCS2 is nearly identical to chopping with inverted. It's so spin-responsive that you're basically just using a slightly lower-spin inverted rubber.

Chopping with the other SPs on the other hand is remarkably similar to chopping with LPs, as foam suggested. I found it easier to chop with the Spectol but I'd imagine that's more to do with it being on a super-slow blade. Once I got my length on the JSH/802 combo though I found it quite controllable.

Best thing about the (proper) SP chopping is the ease with which I could produce low spin or float balls - at a good height! Being able to return low, no spin balls with a similar(ish, at this stage) chopping action will invariably prove really useful at a certain level.

So, now that I've had a chance to chop with controllable SPs, I really wouldn't recommend the SSCS2.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 09:54 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Are spectol and 802 a similar design on the top sheet?.

Given the crazy cheap price you can get 802 for its hard to go past for sp chopping and hitting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next