OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 09:42 
Super User

Blade: Victas Balsa 3.5
FH: H8-80 38 deg
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Bulldog wrote:
Is anybody on the Forum using this rubber competitively at the moment? I might give it a go at the end of the season.
Bulldog

I do!
I used to play with the VKM and the Defplay and Spectol 1.5.
Spectol is a great SP for chopping.
Now I switched to a faster blade (VKMO), I was having problems with Spectol even with a thinner sponge (1.0).
The stiffness and hardness of the VKMO don't allow me to put as much spin as I used to.
So I decided to switch to SSPC2 instead to slow down the pace and having a more grippy topsheet and a very soft sponge, I can put more spin (again).
I am testing SSPC2 in 1.0mm right now (tested 1.5mm in the past on the JSH blade and found it too mushy).
SSPC2 is grippy and slow making it a good match for fast defensive blades.

Before SP (in black playing a 2100+ player: https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2017, 23:00 

Blade: Butterfly JSH
FH: JOOLA Golden Tango 1,8mm
BH: 802 1,5mm
ludo wrote:
Bulldog wrote:
Is anybody on the Forum using this rubber competitively at the moment? I might give it a go at the end of the season.
Bulldog

I do!
I used to play with the VKM and the Defplay and Spectol 1.5.
Spectol is a great SP for chopping.
Now I switched to a faster blade (VKMO), I was having problems with Spectol even with a thinner sponge (1.0).
The stiffness and hardness of the VKMO don't allow me to put as much spin as I used to.
So I decided to switch to SSPC2 instead to slow down the pace and having a more grippy topsheet and a very soft sponge, I can put more spin (again).
I am testing SSPC2 in 1.0mm right now (tested 1.5mm in the past on the JSH blade and found it too mushy).
SSPC2 is grippy and slow making it a good match for fast defensive blades.

ludo do you think SSPC2 will grip too much on VKM??
Using it in 1,0mm dont you have problem when facing fast topspins? Dont you engage the blade too much loosing the pace of the ball?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 05:08 
Super User

Magicotto wrote:
ludo do you think SSPC2 will grip too much on VKM??
Using it in 1,0mm dont you have problem when facing fast topspins? Dont you engage the blade too much loosing the pace of the ball?

On the VKM (not VKMO), I think that Spectol 1.5mm is better for SP chopping.
SSPC2 is very grippy. Let's say it that way... if you can chop with inverted on BH, you will be fine with SSPC2.
Yes, it's one of the problems (to me at least) with 1.0mm; the blade is felt on fast topspins. 1.5mm helps greatly especially with the very soft sponge of the SSPC2.
One aspect of SP (even if it's used primarily for chopping) is attacking... and it's much easier to do so with 1.5mm.

I am still debating but I may go back to Spectol 1.5mm or moving up to 1.5mm for SSPC2 also.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 12:29 
Super User

To me Spectol >= 1.5 seems to be best of both worlds, although at the moment I'm tempted to switch back to Long Pimples. With thinner sponge thickness I was Safe but couldn't generate max. Spin to force the more skilled attacker netting.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 13:19 
Super User

Attacker wrote:
To me Spectol >= 1.5 seems to be best of both worlds, although at the moment I'm tempted to switch back to Long Pimples. With thinner sponge thickness I was Safe but couldn't generate max. Spin to force the more skilled attacker netting.

I agree.
Spectol 1.5mm is the best for SP chopping and is also great for attacking.
SSPC2 because of its super soft sponge helps with slowing down fast loops.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 21:49 

I am searching something in between Spectol and 802 in 1,5mm for my VKM. I feel that with Spectol 1,5mm I can't produce enough backspin in the short game and with 802 1,5mm the long distance chopping is quite difficult because it grabs too much on spinny loops.
I will try also 802 1mm hoping spinny loops will glide a bit more than 1,5 but I fear I will feel too much blade on fast topspins and they will sail long over the table.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 22:02 
Super User

Magicotto wrote:
I am searching something in between Spectol and 802 in 1,5mm for my VKM. I feel that with Spectol 1,5mm I can't produce enough backspin in the short game and with 802 1,5mm the long distance chopping is quite difficult because it grabs too much on spinny loops.
I will try also 802 1mm hoping spinny loops will glide a bit more than 1,5 but I fear I will feel too much blade on fast topspins and they will sail long over the table.

Tough quest!
One thing I noticed, TSP with its sponge thickness range makes it hard for choosing... I had 1.0-1.3 that looked like 1.4 and some 1.4-1.7mm that looked like 1.3mm... Annoying!
I still think you are better off with Spectol 1.5mm on your VKM. It's a soft blade; with practice, you should be able to produce some decent spin and still be quite insensitive to spinny loops/topspins.
Good luck with your search and let us know if you find something between.
Ciao!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 02:08 

I tried 802 1mm but it was too less sponge so chopped balls sailed long over the blade as I expected.
Then I glued a 802-1 1,5mm HRS sponge and it worked really well. It's a good compromise between 802 and Spectol: I can put enough spin on short balls on the table like I couldnt with Spectol and spinny topspins dont grab too much like 802 so long distance chopping is also ok.
It pairs really well with VKM but the feeling of the sponge is not one of the best...

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 03:46 
Super User

Magicotto wrote:
I tried 802 1mm but it was too less sponge so chopped balls sailed long over the blade as I expected.
Then I glued a 802-1 1,5mm HRS sponge and it worked really well. It's a good compromise between 802 and Spectol: I can put enough spin on short balls on the table like I couldnt with Spectol and spinny topspins dont grab too much like 802 so long distance chopping is also ok.
It pairs really well with VKM but the feeling of the sponge is not one of the best...

Glad you found something that works for you!
If possible, would you mind posting a picture of 802 next to 802-1 topsheets?
Just to compare.
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 06:11 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
802 is the red one, 802-1 is the black

I just got some new chop 2's in as well, so I can compare those also.

http://imgur.com/baYsMgN

Here is the spin pips chop 2 in red on top, followed by 802 in red, then 802-1 black at the bottom

http://imgur.com/a/WStik

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 13:30 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Here is the spin pips chop 2 in red on top, followed by 802 in red, then 802-1 black at the bottom

Thank you very much skilless_slapper!!!
The 802-1 topsheet looks similar to Spectol. It's not surprising that it feels better for chopping.

That SSPC2 red color is really ugly... :rofl:
Those cooked SPs look better in black for sure!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 03:19 
Super User

ludo wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Thank you very much skilless_slapper!!!
The 802-1 topsheet looks similar to Spectol. It's not surprising that it feels better for chopping.

That SSPC2 red color is really ugly... :rofl:
Those cooked SPs look better in black for sure!

spectol and 802-1

http://imgur.com/Ft1xFoD

The red sspc2 weighs 41 grams uncut for reference. I imagine it would be around 35-38 grams cut on most blades.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 05:21 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
spectol and 802-1
http://imgur.com/Ft1xFoD
The red sspc2 weighs 41 grams uncut for reference. I imagine it would be around 35-38 grams cut on most blades.

Vertical vs horizontal.
802-1 has definitely more ribbed pips than Spectol.
Not surprising you find it to be a good compromise of all.
Looks like 802-1 needs to be glued to custom sponges.... no factory 35 deg. friendship sponge sold together.

SSPC2's sponge is very slow... You may like it also but the topsheet is very sensitive to spin.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 04:39 
Super User

Had the 1.8 black SSCP2 glued up on a fast blade for a bit and giving it a run. I like it quite a bit so far. Using it on my forehand for chopping, blocking, and the occasional smash.

The anti spin was good for at the table, but I found myself stepping back a few feet to use my backhand loop most of the time. And at that distance the anti wasn't doing me much good!

The SSCP2 are quite spinny, indeed. Probably close to tackiness chop in spin hits, yet the pips also have the ability to kill off spin on other shots that the inverted rubber couldn't do. And with the soft sponge, even on my fast blade (garaydia ALC), it absorbs a lot of pace and allows for some good chopping not too far off the table. Now, the chopping isn't my primary stroke as I prefer to attack with the backhand. The forehand is more for loading up on pushes or chopping back balls sent to that side, which the SSCP2 does well and with control. I think with anti/LP, they weren't able to really generate enough spin by themselves to pose a real threat. So the spin pips has allowed me to keep opponents under pressure with backspin/no spin, while also being able to handle their top spin attacks - in addition to being able to finish off or spin up dead balls.

I guess the only actual downside (compared to anti/LP) is when handling very heavy top spin. But since I'm using these on my forehand, it just takes a bit of grip pressure and angle changing to bring those back on the table with a lot of spin. On the fast blade, the spin pips feel like they still have enough bite to slam the ball home when needed. I know some thought they were too slow to attack with, and that's probably true if compared to something like joola ultra express or other attacking pips. But for controlled blocking games or chopping oriented styles, I think the SSCP2 do a fine job. More spin than spectol, 802, 802-1, and probably slightly more spin than 802-40. All in all, they do their intended purpose! What more can you ask for if wanting to purchase the spin pips chop sponge 2!?

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 23:32 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
So, it's been a while since I've visited this forum, and during my absence, I finally got a new setup, which includes SSPC2 1.9mm thick. Before you guys read my "review," keep in mind that I'm still a beginner at TT, and the only person I play with 99% of the time is my dad, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt :whew: My first impression was that it was definitely a high-quality rubber! The topsheet was actually harder than I expected, and the sponge actually felt hard (I had my setup pre-assembled, and I guess the glue affected the feel) at first, but it became very soft after a few days. I can definitely see why people described it as super-soft. I noticed that a LOT of people in this forum said something along the lines of, "this rubber is so slow and dampening, I don't like the muted feedback," but I was perfectly fine with the feel (as a matter of fact, I liked how it felt slightly squishy :oops: :P ). Perhaps one factor was the blade (which is also excellent!), which had a very nice feel imo, and also the fact that my previous racket was a pre-made which came with soft rubbers :3. One thing I liked (and was also surprised by,) was the fact that it was actually less reactive to spin than the cheap rubbery mass on my pre-made (which also made serve-receive easier), because everything I've read about this rubber always pointed out how extremely grippy it is (which I won't deny), regardless of the fact that it's an SP. I also like how flat hits on my BH were pretty fast, contrary to my anticipation once again. Perhaps the blade really is that fast. As for chopping, the most I can do right now is 3-4 in one rally :P Took me 2 weeks to be able to send one chop back, and now it's been almost a month. However, I don't regret this at all! Hopefully I can get better and better.

Rating: Recreational Player

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!