OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 01:26 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
QuickDraw wrote:
I just ordered a sheet in black, 1.0~1.3. It should arrive within the next week. I'll be sure to post a review once I've had time to play with it.

Great! That is the version I am most curious of.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 10:28 

My sheet arrived!

I glued it onto my Matsushita Pro Special. I was actually planning on selling this blade. I bought it thinking it had a soft feeling to it, and paired it with harder rubbers accordingly. That didn't work out well. However, on a whim, I took the rubbers off it and bounced a ball on the bare wood. It felt hard! I expected the thick willow outer plies to make it feel much softer than it was. I decided to keep it, and to try pairing it with some softer rubbers. It occurred to me that it would be a perfect match for SSP Chop 2. I'm planning on transitioning back to modern defense, so it seemed like a good choice. I like the fact that it feels dead on slow shots, but has loads of power on attacking shots thanks to the arylate carbon plies. It's stiffer than I'm used to, but stiff blades are what one should use with short pips.

Initial impressions, just from bouncing a ball on it and hitting against a wall in the house:
-holy crap, this is nice, MUCH better than the rubbers I had on it before (I'm thinking this will be my primary setup for quite some time)
-in 1.0~1.3, the dampening effect is not as pronounced as what 5jd33 experienced with the 1.4~1.7 version, but the softness is still immediately apparent
-thanks to the paper thin sponge, it feels very neutral--when you hit slow, you get a slow shot, and fast hitting produces surprising speed (presumably from the rubber bottoming out)
-very spinny, comparable to Feint Long III 1.3 in its ability to generate spin, but much faster when attacking
-it's hard to tell without using it in a game, but I sensed some sink effect on flat hits
-doing a semi-loop sort of shot is not really possible, in contrast with thicker sponged short pips (attacks need to be full-on hits or aggressive lifts/flips)
-topsheet seems semi-cooked, with medium-hard pips and a soft base sheet, mildly sensitive to spin
-it's LOUD! Makes a large pop sound on medium speed shots and a big crack on hard hits (though the blade could have something to do with this)

I'll do a full review once I've played with it for a week or so.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2012, 14:36 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
played with it today...

easiest to chop with of any short pip i have ever played with....

really good control....

however you need a more elastic sponge to generate more spin....

not that this isnt a good rubber....just isnt for me....

i find it more effective to chop with the Normal sponged version...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2012, 17:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I got a mail from Lars at Japsko, saying that they will sell this rubber (or did he mean the TSP Super Spinpips Chop 1 ???) starting next week. I am very curious. As a teaser I bought a 1,5 mm black 802-1 and had a brief hit with it yesterday. It was difficult :^) I could land the chops sometimes but many went straight to the net (on my side :( ).Tried to attack with it, better. Blocking was good. I only played with it for 5 minutes and it was the first time I tries SP. Not surewhat I liked it but I am still curious how I could benefit from a sp instead of lp.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 01:41 

Def-attack, I tried chopping with short pips once before getting this sheet, but had trouble with it. The sponge on the SSPC2 makes all the difference in the world. It controls extraordinarily well, and is so slow that you can load up the spin like a madman and still have it drop neatly in the far end of your opponent's side. The biggest adjustment when coming from chopping with long pips is the stroke. Rather than a wide swing, with a contact angle almost perpendicular to the ball, chopping with short pips requires a more compact swing, and a contact angle of about 45 degrees. The contact point is also a little bit higher up. This video does a great job of demonstrating how to do it:

Based on what people have said about the 1.4~1.7 version, and comparing that to my experiences with the 1.0~1.3 version, I'd definitely recommend the one I have. It seems to be a lot more versatile without sacrificing much.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 02:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

QuickDraw wrote:
Def-attack, I tried chopping with short pips once before getting this sheet, but had trouble with it. The sponge on the SSPC2 makes all the difference in the world. It controls extraordinarily well, and is so slow that you can load up the spin like a madman and still have it drop neatly in the far end of your opponent's side. The biggest adjustment when coming from chopping with long pips is the stroke. Rather than a wide swing, with a contact angle almost perpendicular to the ball, chopping with short pips requires a more compact swing, and a contact angle of about 45 degrees. The contact point is also a little bit higher up. This video does a great job of demonstrating how to do it:

Based on what people have said about the 1.4~1.7 version, and comparing that to my experiences with the 1.0~1.3 version, I'd definitely recommend the one I have. It seems to be a lot more versatile without sacrificing much.

Great vid! Now I am really curious... 802-1 was a little fun but too far away from P-4...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 03:10 

I think the sponge on P-4 is the same as what's on SSPC2, or at least very similar. Super soft and slow, similar to Feint Long 3. In 1.0~1.3, it works really well for taking the speed off shots when chopping, but it's so soft and thin that you can force it to bottom out when hitting, giving you good speed on attacks (it bottoms out so aggressively that it almost feels like attacking with hardbat, but a little bit more forgiving with the blade angle).

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 03:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

QuickDraw wrote:
I think the sponge on P-4 is the same as what's on SSPC2, or at least very similar. Super soft and slow, similar to Feint Long 3. In 1.0~1.3, it works really well for taking the speed off shots when chopping, but it's so soft and thin that you can force it to bottom out when hitting, giving you good speed on attacks (it bottoms out so aggressively that it almost feels like attacking with hardbat, but a little bit more forgiving with the blade angle).

Yes, I do that with my P-4 when I attack with it. But you can also loop with it, gives a slow loop with a little spin. I really like the dampening effect with that sponge, but also the softness of P-4's pips helps there. I think I will find the top sheet of Spinpips a little hard...

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 03:27 

Def-attack wrote:
Yes, I do that with my P-4 when I attack with it. But you can also loop with it, gives a slow loop with a little spin. I really like the dampening effect with that sponge, but also the softness of P-4's pips helps there. I think I will find the top sheet of Spinpips a little hard...

I thought I would as well, coming from long pips, but I've had a surprisingly easy time adapting. It has a huge amount of grip despite the pips being fairly hard. I can generate at least as much spin as I could with Feint Long III 1.3 with almost no difference in control, but attacking is way easier.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 12:37 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I find chopping with 1.5 802 a lot easier than chopping with lp or inverted, but thats comming from inverted. Id like to eventually use super spin pips chop of some kind but for now 802 is fine enough.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2012, 17:34 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

The main reason for me trying the super slow P-4 was that I had troubles making the fisrt chop on a fast loop while I was moving away from the table. With P-4 I can chop good and with control near the table. I usually play in small courts, 10 meter in the same direction as the table, leaving me about 3,5 meters to use for my defensive game. I wonder if that would be enough :?: ...

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 00:27 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
After my break from table tennis I've been thinking about going back to a more chopping based game instead of playing a more pushblocking game. This is mainly because I can't cover the table with my FH anymore since my footwork is a lot worse now. I'm thinking of trying to chop with SP to be able to keep up closer to the table and adjust my game a little based on my opponent. The Spinpips is probably the most interesting candidate even though it's attacking capabilities seems quite blunt, however chopping is still the most important part and IMO any short pip should attack better than a LP, or am I wrong?

My question to the SP choppers out there is what other SP's there is that chops with good control but got better attacking capabilities.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 01:01 
Super User

BTY Raystorm

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 05:41 

I would think Raystorm would be too fast and bouncy because of the tension. I've heard good things about Challenger Attack 1.5, and how it's suitable for chopping.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 06:28 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
After my break from table tennis I've been thinking about going back to a more chopping based game instead of playing a more pushblocking game. This is mainly because I can't cover the table with my FH anymore since my footwork is a lot worse now. I'm thinking of trying to chop with SP to be able to keep up closer to the table and adjust my game a little based on my opponent. The Spinpips is probably the most interesting candidate even though it's attacking capabilities seems quite blunt, however chopping is still the most important part and IMO any short pip should attack better than a LP, or am I wrong?

My question to the SP choppers out there is what other SP's there is that chops with good control but got better attacking capabilities.

How about Spinpis with a faster sponge or trying Hou's Spectol? But if you want a cheap and neutral start, do what I did - buy a 1,5 mm 802-1 from Japsko :).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!