OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2013, 22:51 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Def-attack wrote:
I got a mail from Lars at Japsko, saying that they will sell this rubber (or did he mean the TSP Super Spinpips Chop 1 ???) starting next week. I am very curious. As a teaser I bought a 1,5 mm black 802-1 and had a brief hit with it yesterday. It was difficult :^) I could land the chops sometimes but many went straight to the net (on my side :( ).Tried to attack with it, better. Blocking was good. I only played with it for 5 minutes and it was the first time I tries SP. Not surewhat I liked it but I am still curious how I could benefit from a sp instead of lp.

Finally TSP Super Spinpips Chop 2 is available at Japsko. I am about to order a sheet. Just have to decide if I want 1,2 mm or 1,5 mm.... I think I will go with the thinner one. I am very eager to try it :)

QuickDraw, did you change rubber? Why?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013, 23:35 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I just got my new sheet och 1,0-1,3 mm black Super Spin pips Chop sponge 2. Almost as slow as P-4 when bouncing the ball on it. A little sharper (not as muffled) sound from the bounce though. But when making some sidespin with these both pimple rubbers there is a huge difference. With Spinpips you can generate lots of spin when serving, much more than with P-4. But my P-4 is rather old and I have an unused version that I will glue to the same bat as Spinpips. Than I will have a true chopping feast against anyone who dares to loop against me :D :devil: :devil:
I'll report back what I find out when comparing these two rubbers. But tonight there is an important match in my league, so I will only have a brief hit with my new Spinpips...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 23:15 

Def-attack,

Have you had a chance to use the SSPC2 yet? I'm a new defender (previous inverted both sides) who's been experimenting with various OX LP's on my backhand but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the LP strokes. I went with OX because I liked the feel of OX chopping with SP's when I tried it and also because everyone says OX is easier to control. I'm considering trying out some sponge and you actually are using both of the sheets I was considering. P4 and SSPC2. What's your comparison? Thanks!

Joe

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 23:22 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
OX chopping with short pips? Haven't seen many players doing that... How would you compare it to ox chopping with LP?

gaijinjoe wrote:
Def-attack,

Have you had a chance to use the SSPC2 yet? I'm a new defender (previous inverted both sides) who's been experimenting with various OX LP's on my backhand but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the LP strokes. I went with OX because I liked the feel of OX chopping with SP's when I tried it and also because everyone says OX is easier to control. I'm considering trying out some sponge and you actually are using both of the sheets I was considering. P4 and SSPC2. What's your comparison? Thanks!

Joe

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 23:35 

Pipsy,

I felt like I had a lot more control with the OX SP's. I've seen where some people classify them as MP's though...they were Peacekeeper OX. Also, I was playing with PK on both sides hardbat for a few months which may explain it. I feel so awkward playing the LP's almost like I'm gambling with each shot. I also I like being able to pop the backhand with the SP's. After reading a lot of posts it seemed like if I stay with LP's I might do better with P4 chop since it plays more similar to inverted. The SSPC2 also seem like it might work. Thoughts?

Joe

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 01:30 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Spinpips is almost as easy and controllable to chop with as P-4, but a little more sensitive to incomming spin. A few of my chops went high, but that could be a matter of technique adjustment. On the other hand it was very easy to attack with and first chop on a dead serve had mote spin... But I need more time, only played with it for five minutes or so...

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 16:14 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

So spin pips is easy to use than 802? Also slower?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 19:59 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

foam wrote:
So spin pips is easy to use than 802? Also slower?

The pips are about tha same as 802 I guess, but the sponge (same as TSP Curl P-4) is very slow. This gives you a lot of control but your attacks will also be slow. I have only had a brief hit with 802-1 on a 1,5 mm soft sponge, and Spinpips Chop 2 is a lot easier and slower to use for defense. I have two bats, borth Joo Se Hyuk. On one I have a brnad new TSP Curl P-4 1,0-1,3 mm and on the other I have a brand new TSP Spinpips Chop 2 1,0-1,3 mm. When I dropped the ball on these two it actually bounced a little more on Curl P-4 than on Spinpips. I know this doesn't mean that SSP is slower than P-4 but it is very slow!
But hopefully I will soon be able to tell more about Spinpips.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 20:15 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It sounds very promising!.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2013, 23:06 

Yes, please compare the two quickly for the sake of my sanity :P

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 06:44 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

gaijinjoe wrote:
Yes, please compare the two quickly for the sake of my sanity :P

Well, I had a 90 min session today where I differed between SSP and P-4 in different drills and then ended with three sets, first two with SSP and the last with P-4. SSP is good for first push, attacking and controlling speed and playing deceptive with spin and speed. It blocks good and I could attack very good if I do it flat. It is very good and controllable close to the table. For chopping I still don't know what to think since I haven't had any experience chopping with SP. When chopping with the same technique as with LP You end up with a flat low-spin chop and if you chop with a more opend bat you get a slower, higher more spinnier chop. I had troubles with that last version since I have a version with thin sponge. I think it would be better with a slightly thicker version for chopping from dictance.
Other things that are more difficult with this rubber (I guess with SP in general) is returning serves and handel shots to your body. If you read the spin well you can return serves very good with this rubber since the pips are very gripy on the edges and it is very slow. But if you are used to lp you will have to adjust a lot. Shots to your body when you don't have time for a proper chopping movement prpbably needs to be handled with top spin. I you wants to chop you need to be in position.
i will not change my setup for now, but I will try this rubber a little more against other opponents (power loopers, defenders, one who loops slow with massive top spin, and so on) and evaluate some more. If I give it a serious go I will do it with the thicker sponge.
Here is a hort clip from the end of today's session when we played three sets. I changed back to LP after the first two:

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 15:36 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well it seems for those of us that used inverted then moved to so to chop easier a dislike how LP chops this rubbers seems an option against 802. I think ill try it sometime this year.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 16:03 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

foam wrote:
Well it seems for those of us that used inverted then moved to so to chop easier a dislike how LP chops this rubbers seems an option against 802. I think ill try it sometime this year.

Agreed! But there might be others who would like it as well. I think it could be a good option for people using Anti in some way.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 20:24 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I think you'll need an adaptation in your stroke when chopping with the short ones since your chopped balls often went long or were high... I just saw the video of Ding Song (posted by Roar), he has a quite short chopping movement... You seemed to have much more control and confidence with P4 (you also attacked more with FH) but your opponent seemed to be deceived more by the short pips, probably because he wasn't used to playing against it

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 21:24 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Pipsy wrote:
I think you'll need an adaptation in your stroke when chopping with the short ones since your chopped balls often went long or were high... I just saw the video of Ding Song (posted by Roar), he has a quite short chopping movement... You seemed to have much more control and confidence with P4 (you also attacked more with FH) but your opponent seemed to be deceived more by the short pips, probably because he wasn't used to playing against it

Yes, I agree on all parts. It is a big step to move from P-4 to SSP and I was changing back and forth the whole session, never got to be used to the SP. I need to develop a SP-chopping stroke if I choose to continue with SP later (late March at earliest when my local league is finished). I tricked my opponent several times with SP but he and I have been practicing a lot together and he is very used to my LP, and therefore this was as big a change for him as for me :) . I think he would learn to attack against it better quite quickly if I made the change.
I looked at a few vid of Muramatsu and it looks like he is using a more lp-oriented chopping stroke most of the times. Actually it seems like he doesn't get much back spin at all on most chops, unless he is a little further away from the table and can dig deeper under the ball. But mostly he stays just 2 meters away from the table and chops back mostly dead balls. You can se that when his opponents are doing drop shots, they often go high. Ding Song and Hou Yingchao are doing a more short and forward motion for their chops, and I guess it is more difficult to keep tha ball low with that type of stroke. Hou seems to chop high or long quite often, but he also adapts lots of sidespin to his chops. Another player to watch is Wang Yang (competing for Slovakia, playing in German Bundesliga (have a look here http://tv.ttbl.de/ and filter by "Spieler", then you get all matches by Wang Yang, or Wang Xi or Ruwen Filus or any other player).

I will give my SSP another go on Thursday, if I get to play against a player who loops with more spin than my trainingparter from the video. Then I will know more about what it takes to play defense with SPP :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next