OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2012, 13:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
This is the new cloth-backed OX version of 612 Turbo with sponge. Visually, the pips look more like an MP than an SP. As the image shows, there is indeed a thin layer of cloth molded into the backing. Dimensions of the uncut sheet were 173mm wide by 180mm tall. Weight 24.5g uncut. Very easy OX LP to mount and cut, probably due to the cloth backing. Cut it's about 15g, nearly twice what a typical non-cloth backed OX LP would weigh when cut.

I mounted it on a BBC ULTRA Blue Streak which is where I usually have my 755 OX. In play, 612 OX Special is a knuckleball cannon, but it's not a forgiving pip by any means. In comparison, 755 OX is way easier to use.

With 612 OX Special, lifting the ball with a BH flick simply doesn't work; the ball slides off the pips despite their cross-hatched patterns and wide hitting area. This forced me to flatten out my BH drive stroke which finally got the pip to work.. sometimes. When it did work the result was always the same: Bullet dead balls that would fall off my opponents' paddles and quickly bounce on their side of the table. I could get that to happen maybe 50% of the time. The rest of the time 612 OX Special would send the ball floating long or into the net, and the trouble was, the stroke felt exactly the same as previous strokes that had worked. Not a pip that I could simply pick up and start using.

612 OX Special can chop but it wasn't producing much backspin or disrupting effect. On serve, there's none of the funky SP hoppiness that a pip like DHS 651 or 802-40 can produce. I give Giant Dragon props for continuing to innovate with pips but 612 OX Special isn't suitable for my style of play.

Attachments:
IMAG0762-001.jpg
IMAG0762-001.jpg [ 152.25 KiB | Viewed 2502 times ]
IMAG0757-001.jpg
IMAG0757-001.jpg [ 210.99 KiB | Viewed 2502 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 08:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
THanks nathanso! :up: :up: :up:

Perhaps if they made them a little softer they may be a lot easier to use?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 12:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
haggisv wrote:
THanks nathanso! :up: :up: :up:

Perhaps if they made them a little softer they may be a lot easier to use?
I'm not sure softer is the answer. For me they just lacked the grip needed to perform my favorite stokes. For a skilled flat-hitter these would probably be the cat's meow.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013, 16:11 

If all black SS G3 Hard rubbers are tacky, then this rubber would be more than a great alternative to factory-tuned tacky rubbers like blue whale 2.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 15:38 
Super User

I used this for a couple of hours, but with the sponge. The worst rubber I ever tried. Like nathanso said, the same exact block or stroke will produce random balls, often which simply go into the net. If you manage to attack and land one, the ball doesn't often come back. My coach tried for a while too and also tossed it, saying he couldn't figure out the angles to make it work.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 22:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Where can you purchase the OX version. I get my GD equipment from ZTable Tennis, but Conrad doesn't seem to carry it?
Thanks,
tOD

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!