OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 07:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 05:52 

Thanks Glenn. I plan on getting some lessons, because I'm sure my temptation will be to stand three metres back and hit Roger Federer straight-armed backhands. I played tennis from ages 9 until now, so it'll be a challenge. But at least I know I've got some degree of hand eye coordination on my side.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 08:43 
Super User

Also Miao Miao uses a spinny pip, TSP spin pips. The idea that spinny pips are going to be effected like inverted is proposterous. For my money 802-40 is a tweener be tween spinny pips and classic pips. A real spinny pips would be Stiga Radical, Joola Tango Ultra,or TSP Spinpips.

And like i said before many true pips put hitters use something like this: http://www.butterflyonline.com/inventor ... 7FL&CatId={181232C5-D021-4AF2-906E-A923DC86D6C1}#.UKV2lWegySo

Ian

ps-you could do much worse than 802-40 on one side (1.8mm) and 563 (1.5 mm) on the other.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 12:57 

Well, I just pulled the trigger on an Apelgren AllPlay blade, with 802-40 on both wings. Should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. And so my table tennis career begins! Wish me luck!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 13:49 
Super User

Red Atlas wrote:
Well, I just pulled the trigger on an Apelgren AllPlay blade, with 802-40 on both wings. Should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. And so my table tennis career begins! Wish me luck!

Best of Luck!

Ian

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 16:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Red Atlas...some Pips ideas I'd like to share....and thanks to Ian for your input!

Short Pips are not just for close to the table aggressive hitting, I prefer the way that the SP hit from mid distance over inverted also! Maybe 99% of pros who use SP blast away constantly from close range, but us real life club players who have normal human opponents can find real enjoyment in hitting with SP from many situations. I simply prefer the low throw angle to the higher throw angle of inverted! And, the 802-40 has awesome feel for ACCURATE chopping. Your tennis background must inspire some Federer backhand slices! The 802-40 has aggressive chop spin, not as much as a spinny inverted, but it sooooooo much easier to hit chops with accuracy with the SP compared to inverted. It is so much fun, that I truly smile inside as I land chops against well hit balls. And the 802-40 allows you to chop from closer range than inverted, because the way the ball bounces off the 802-40 is very different than inverted. :P

AND, congrats on pulling the trigger!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 20:02 

Thanks Glenn! And thanks for your input along the way! I'll be sure to let you know how I'm travelling. I think I'm about three weeks away from being able to hit. Can't wait.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 12:00 

The easiest conversion from inverted to short pips for me was when I tried Winning NP 8 with soft sponge (30 degrees). I found the 1.7 to 1.9 the best thickness. It is a spinny pip that can seem to do anything you need it to do. I tried many of the other short pips mentioned but always went back to the NP 8. I use it on my forehand with 05 on my backhand on Nittaku Shellshock blade. It is very easy to serve reverse pendulum double bounce serves with, and it blocks strong loops easily. I have always thought that NP 8 soft is an unsung hero of short pips. I hope it works out well with the new poly ball.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 09:04 

Having my first hit post knee surgery at 3pm today. Got my Appelgren AllPlay with 2.0 802-40 fh, 1.8 802-40 on the bh, all ready to go. Also bought some 3 star balls. Pretty pumped.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 16:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

MOO-WA-HA-HA SOUNDS EXCELLENT!

I hope your knee is well and that you climb the ladder of table tennis skills with much enjoyment!

P.S. All paddles and rubber types take time to get the feel of. Your shot making options sometimes start in the sub-conscience, then when you transfer them to the upper levels of conscienceness you can analyse the anatomy of your shots with reference to incoming projectile spin. :lol:

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 19:56 

In summary, I had a blast! My knee is limiting my mobility, but it'll keep recovering over time. I really liked the racquet. Have to say I felt a little more comfortable on the backhand, probably because of the thinner sponge. Really smacked some backhand winners! And chopping on that side felt surprisingly good. Took a while to dial in the forehand, but I think that's because I have trouble moving to my left at the moment. Could be the thicker sponge. Keep in mind I'm a relative beginner. Tried to follow the ping skills lessons in terms of technique and it felt pretty natural after a while. One thing I loved was how light the setup was! I used my friend's blade for a bit the rubbers were butterfly flextra) and it was HEAPS heavier. Overall, can't wait to get some lessons and learn properly!

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 02:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Sounds like you had a good start!

Do you wear a "rubber sleeve" on your knee for extra support?

I have played with 1.8mm and 2.2mm, IMHO (in my humble opinion) the 2.2 was only about 10% faster.

Remember, the TT swing is not like the tennis swing, mostly on the FH players tend to use their whole arm with their elbow away from their body, and this is not best! Elbow close to body is best for TT!

Yes, the 802-40 is a light rubber.

And YES....it lays down THE SMACK!

Keep us posted!

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 17:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well Mr. Atlas! have you had any more hits with your new weapon? How is your knee?

My last 2 months, all with the 802-40, has resulted in my BEST play ever! I'm crushing the 3 guys I have previously been equal to! My hits, chops, serve returns, pushes, power and accuracy are all at my very best! This rubber is sooooo much fun! (I'm using it on FH and BH)

8)

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 21:29 
Super User

glennholder wrote:
Well Mr. Atlas! have you had any more hits with your new weapon? How is your knee?

My last 2 months, all with the 802-40, has resulted in my BEST play ever! I'm crushing the 3 guys I have previously been equal to! My hits, chops, serve returns, pushes, power and accuracy are all at my very best! This rubber is sooooo much fun! (I'm using it on FH and BH)

8)

Glenn, What do you so with heavy push or chop into your backhand using this grip?

Ian

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 01:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks for asking Ian,

I have a reverse Seemiller grip, meaning that the more unorthodox side of my grip is my FH, unlike Seemiler having the BH as the more unorthodox. I play over 80% BH due to shoulder problems. My unusual blade cut allows me to have my unothodox FH less unortho than Seemiller's BH. So I have a very different scenario on my BH than Seemiller, my blade cut gives more ease of blade angle variation. I can have perfect blade angle from BH and FH for all shots, including chopping,pushing, flat hitting and topspin, with just that one sheet of rubber, and without twiddling.

The cut in my blade also allows real ease in twiddling.

So my BH feels totally traditional in it's form. And against heavy push the 802-40 is so controllable when I push back. Yes it does impart less spin than inverted, but my flight path is lower, flatter than I could hit with inverted, and my pushing speed is faster with the SP. I love pushing with this rubber! I have learned to hit thru also, the advice on this forum was to make contact slightly below the back of the ball and it works well. At my moderate level of play I usually have the advantage of my pushes being hit well to my opponents cross over point or deep BH cuz the pips give yummy control to deep table, my pushes have become much less cautious!

:lol: TTYL!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 06:59 

glennholder wrote:

8)

Hey Glenn. Haven't played again yet, mainly because I think I went a bit early on the knee. It was definitely limiting my mobility which I found very frustrating. Last time I did my knee (right one) I waited six months to play tennis again. This time (left knee) I only waited three. Think I should probably do more gym rehab beforecI hit the table again. But loved the rubbers and the appelgren allplay. Just biding my time before I bring the SMACK again! Been watching lots of tt on YouTube in the mean time. Thanks for asking though! :grin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next