OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2012, 01:52 

Hi, everybody. I've just started using Penguin (Haifu), short pimple for about 1 month now, and I just don't know how to use it correctly. Could you tell me how to use it? Also, I've just started using pimples (both short and long pimples) for only 2 months now, I've never used them before.
Thank you very much for you help. :)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2012, 04:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Short Pimple rubbers can be much fun. They do not feel the spin of the in-coming ball as much as smooth rubbers. This gives some players more control, depending on the type of swing. Short pimple rubbers are beneficial with a shorter, more compact swing, keeping your elbow near your body. The short pimple (SP) rubbers are not designed for BIG topspin swings. Usually SP rubbers are FAST, so you can still hit fast with a compact stroke.

SP players really can feel and enjoy their ability to hit well against balls with heavy topspin. A smooth rubber usually can't take the ball as early off the bounce because smooth rubbers give a higher throw upon impact and it is hard to keep these types of shots on the table.

I also find SP rubbers to be more accurate, and very fun, for chopping. They do not impart as much spin as smooth rubbers, but I can chop with a lower, flatter flight path and I can hit hard low chops at my opponents backhand which is very effective. I could not be as accurate with smooth rubber when chopping, the smooth rubber chops tend to "pop up" off the rubber and yes they are spinny, but the bounce is often higher than a SP chop.

I'm not experienced with long pips rubbers, but they are not good for hitting :sweat: , but very good for blocking and chopping. :Chop:

Best regards

glennholder

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 15:18 

thank you very much for you answer. I've been using the Penguin pips for about 3 or 4 months, but I found it really hard to control the ball. Also, because it can't produce much spin, I've been having trouble with the very topspin balls my friends produce.
I've changed to Stiga Radical (I bought it yesterday), hoping for some improvements in my game.
Again, thank you very much for you answer. :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!