OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: short pips help
PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 01:50 

well i use a off+ with clippa and bh is barracuda and im a penhold

i need help as i recently turned to short pips and althought i enjoy there are still a bit of flaws in my play. I play on a 3/4 junior size table at my home due to space. i play with my bro and we are ok ish and we can smash loop etc but since changing to short pips i cannot do some things such as loop. can anybody help me for example how to flick/smash against underspin? smashing when they hit a long flat shot? also serving with pips? also i have begun learning rpb with barracuda and can anybody show me correct technique? also there seems to be different ways e.g do you curl your hand incl wrist so the bat head is facing your body? or do you curl it halfway so the side is like facing ur body?

also with backhand how can i improve as when some1 smashes me and i stay close the ball just seems to fly out, do you usually keep it so it is not like just facing forward or do you lean it a bit back so whenver u hit you will have underspin?

feel free to give me any other tips if you want

thanks

Post subject: Re: short pips help
PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 02:07 
Super User

I'm a penholder and have some experience with short pips. (played 802 & 802-40 which I liked better as it was spinnier). I just happen to like inverted more.

If I'm understanding your setup correctly, you're a penholder playing SP on the forehand & inverted on the backhand?

If so you simply need to watch a lot of Zengyi Wang video. He plays with the same setup.

Against a chopper.

Note against heavy backspin you still have to have that looping stroke to life the ball over the net. My experience is just that you don't have to lift as hard. It should be easier or the ball shouldn't feel as heavy as say lifting with inverted. Secondly, when Zengyi gets the balls that's high enough, you just drive right through that thing with power. This is where SP shines.

You said looping is harder with SP. I Agree. For me I had to simply adjust my game. Less looping and more driving trying to win with speed & quickness standing close to the table.

There are a ton of womens players who play SP out there that are excellent examples of this. So are lot of SP jpeners from the 80s & 90s that are fun to watch. Just youtube it.

That's kinda the style you should be going for.

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 07:29 

with short pips you hit flat shots but when i do how do i get it so it dips like goes straight down instead of like a loop in which it goes up then down?

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 12:43 

The http://www.pipfacts.info website has a series of articles about playing pips penhold.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 20:54 

yesterday i played with my pips again and when they serve a short spinny serve which is about net height how do i like smash him? if it is backspin combined with side spin how do i smash him? or if it is just sidespin?

also can anyone show me how to flat shot? as pipfacts just seems a load of rubbish clumped together which makes me mega tired of reading. sorry.

thanks

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 22:55 
Super User

martw95 wrote:
yesterday i played with my pips again and when they serve a short spinny serve which is about net height how do i like smash him? if it is backspin combined with side spin how do i smash him? or if it is just sidespin?

also can anyone show me how to flat shot? as pipfacts just seems a load of rubbish clumped together which makes me mega tired of reading. sorry.

thanks

Short spinny serve that's net high? That sounds like a good serve to me. I don't think you'd try to smash that. Rather flip if you're looking to play agressive. A passive option would to be to just push or block it back and try to keep it short. Sure if they mess up and do that serve say a little high, yeah go ahead and smash it.

martw95 wrote:
with short pips you hit flat shots but when i do how do i get it so it dips like goes straight down instead of like a loop in which it goes up then down?

When I play with pips, my stroke was certainly more forward but I don't know if I'd say it was flat. I'd say my swing was kinda at a 45 degree angle with my jpen starting at say my left hip (I'm left handed) and ending somewhere around my right shoulder. So for me it was a pretty forward swing (compared to my loop strike I perform with Cpen) but still had at least some upward motion.

Given that you say it's dipping into the net, I'd suggest trying that. Lift more.

What are your SPs like? What's the sponge? Just curious. I've tried 802 in 1.5mm before. It was nice but I hated the lack of spin on the 1.5. Then tried 802-40 which is a spinny pips in 2.0 and that seemed to be an easier transition for me coming from inverted.

PostPosted: 23 May 2013, 00:54 

well soemtimes they are like above net a bit and how do i smash it cos sometimes i can but them i cant

also when i swing i drive the ball just like when i used inverted but i cant loop with these. driving with pips is just like inverted for me. when i watched that polish guy you told me his shots aer like flat, striahgt and go down and how his arm swings is so different like its straight.

i use FH stiga clippa with 2.0mm sponge