OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2013, 11:50 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
As part of my home practice regiment, I do 4H looping vs BS with Dr Evil OX. It makes me hit a fundamental stroke.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 22:10 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had to go into hospital early this week to have some holes drilled into me thanks to my ongoing illness. Not much fun, yet I have recovered enough to get my weeky Sunday Dr Evil practice in :up: . I had hoped to be trying some Friendship 799 by now, it didn't turn out to be 799 day thanks to well firstly me not actually ordering it yet :p.. I'm also going to try 755 lp at some stage. I don't know if I mentioned it before?? If not... I bought an old 3 ply blade on eBay a few months ago, it was fairly beat up and the handle was almost as dodgy as a dtects user so I've spent some time fixing it up. Its much slower than my usual immune or defplay so I'm excited about that, I find it really hard to get a slow blade which is actually slow. This 3 ply will get me through until I get around to building my defensive hide glue blades I've been meaning to make. Let's see if I can still play decently tomorrow, its the first time I'll get to play some matches against a decent player with Dr evil so I'm excited.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 16:51 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well the good player didnt show.. Pity about that. We had a good hit anyway snd my Dr Evilness improved some more. I decided today I dont like whale red sponge soft. It chops great but chopping on the forehand is a mental error so why bother ?. My most interesting experiment was having a game with 388-d1 on a blade with no handle and using only the one rubber and only hitting aggressive backhands, no chopping. I won the game 11-2 which is a better result than I was having with any other setup today.

Thats kind of the direction ive been thinking of going (hitting with a grippy lp).

Its the Dr Evil which is teaching me the blafe feel and traditional stroke that makes it possible. I think theres enough potential in hitting lp bh and looping fh to get me where I need to be. Its difficult yet doable and I like the challenge, meanwhile ill keep practicing my dr evil and figure out what lp to try. Ive decided fat wide pips are rubbish for hitting so I need something with thin pips even a medium length with thin pips should be sutable.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 15:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
foam! The foam-meister!

I'm enjoying hearing about your learning curve. I continue mine with the 799. I'm enjoying it a lot, presently learning serve return tricks. BH flick serves are working REAL WELL against the pendulum backspin/sidespin serves.

Continue keeping us informed!

TTYL

glenn

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 16:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Thanks for reading my learning curve :!), I was actually going to order some 799 last night except I ran out of paypal funds after getting some 755 and some friendship inverted. I decided I'll sponsor myself with friendship rubbers for the moment. Hopefully I can play some tournaments next year with about $30 worth of rubber and get some good results. That would be strangely rewarding ;p. Nothing wrong with Dr Evil anyway, I'm very happy with what I can do with it now and I'm still getting much better using it each week. Oh yeah I just remembered something from the midst of my late night memories last night. I discovered a rubber called Nittaku pimplemini?, Looks the goods. I had planed to order some veneers and make a defence blade all the way from scratch using hide glue this week so I'll have to get that organised. I want to have one epic tournament where I can win my division using a blade I made all the way from scratch, then I'll know I've become all the way Jedi after constructing my own sabre :).

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2013, 17:42 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
May the force be with you!
I can just hear the conversations...... The (dr) evil is strong with this one.... He is from the dark side!..... Use the force , loop (Luke ).....

Ok, I will get my coat...

185g

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2013, 20:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

So I practiced hitting with Dr Evil today rather than chopping and seen that this could get expensive. I was also looping more awesome than I have in recent years I think thanks to living on veggie juice this week :p. I would add a note that there's nothing wrong technically with the Andro balls and that the 3rd ball was a new double fish ball. They just don't like being hit with no sponge. :).

In other news I removed 802 from my Immune because I've decided I like Dr Evil the most of my pips rubbers so it's become the reference point and I'll try other stuff on the immune first. On the Defplay senso I'm using Dr Evil Bh and Whale II red sponge soft and I've finally got the hang of it. Couldn't miss a loop today and I was playing right over the top of the table 99% of the time, it was like how I used to play in the old days with Hurricane 2 except with extra control. I'm starting to really like the Whale red... In even more other news the guy I'm training up lost to me 17-15 in the 5th today when I was using inverted to give him a "normal" match. He hasn't played TT until a few months ago and hes 40. His rating is 200 vic points lol. Even if I can't use inverted very well at the moment, I'm thinking his rating will be on a sharp increase next year. With the pips he was still getting 7 or so points.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 03:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam!

You broke those balls hitting with Dr. Evil ox? WOW! I'm impressed!!! I have never broken a ball hitting with ox. but I'm not a hard hitter.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 14:48 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well some of the damage comes from the loop because I usually break one or two balls anyway plus there's a painted concrete wall only 3.5-4 meters off the back of the table and its not enough room to slow down much before they hit it, they don't like hitting that. But this was a ball each 10 minutes when hitting hard with the ox bh and that's not normal. Its a pretty sickening sound wood on ball so I thought they weren't going to last long.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 15:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

foam!

I am used to the sound of wood on ball! I like it....to me it means............CONTROL!!!!!

No matter what the environment, if you are hitting hard enough to break the balls , even because of the wall, that's quite hard!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 17:39 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

There are sprinklings of people around that hit the same pace forehand ball but not at my comparatively low level. Some of the younger elite players and carbonman and his elite veteran buddies all have good solid contact and a much smarter overall, the realy genius vets like those guys play very within their limits. None of them are using ox short pip rubber though lol. So its not something balls usually have to endure.

I tried hitting with dawei 388d1 again and a medium pip both on 1.0mm neither Made me really happy, the 388d1 is clearly harder to play against but I just am not comfortable with the squigdy rubbery feel of a long pip when chopping. I really need to find one that's stiffer rubber. Still waiting on the 755. Dr Evil continues to amaze me in the things you can learn from using it. I've got several new shots I didn't have before. Most impressive is backhand flick from under my forehand arm than hammers down the table on a right to left angle. Its a very old time shot but works with inverted too. I also surprised myself a couple times with a high reflex flick very wide on my backhand, it was very Miao Miao, dunno where that one came from. Its just general Dr evil enhancement that's slowly happening to me and getting used to using the blade rather than the sponge. I also hit 4 or 5 awesome chops late in the session where I felt like I finally "got it" and could recognise what I was doing that made the chops so heavy. So I'll try that again next week.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 23:34 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Had another hit with Dr Evil today. I'm almost convinced I'll stick with this rubber or at least least this style of rubber for a while. I will try it with sponge just to see if I can get some better control against fast attacks with losing much of its feel. I guess I'll try .5mm and 1.5mm. And if I feel in between is where I want to be then I'll end up with 1.0. I don't rule out using a 1.0mm inverted later on :p. I broke a couple of brand new balls again tonight, one within 15 minutes of taking it out of the box, which was a little dissapointing since I had a sore back and wasn't hitting hard, I guess hardbat just wasnt part of the plan when they started making 40mm balls. They don't like it, its a good excuse to use a little sponge. Its interesting that they are all splitting down the length of the seem however when I play with inverted they always crack across the seem.

My favourite / official setup now and has been for the last month or so is a ST Donic defplay senso with Haifu whale (Soft) ie grip-s Europe. And Dr Evil ox on bh.

I used skyline 3 this last year and a half, its great but since using the softer whale I've became accustomed to how "cute" you can be with the softer rubber. You can't afford to be cute with skyline 3 or you just drop balls in the net. Somedays you can't be on your game 100% especially me as I have a dodgy chronic illness, some days I just cant perform as well as others. All in all I feel like its better for me to give up that 15% extra sting I get on my loop with a hard sponge and keep being able to hit half paced shots sometimes. Next time I'll probably go with the grip-s branded version to be sure it was checked extra well in the factory :).

I have a koji blade on the way and that pimplemini stuff so let's see how it plays.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 23:41 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
When they say play TT with an "axe" foam, they don't mean literally :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 23:52 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You won't have this problem with hairy rubber like dtecs Reb, too much rubber between ball and blade, Dr Evil is effectively made from wood hardness rubber:/.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 09:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

thanks for the updates foam.

Have you made any adjustments, like trying to return more serves with the Dr. Evil because of it's spin resistance?

I position my body many times to allow for more BH serve return, because the 799 is better against most serves. I can push against serve accurately with the 799 and I can flick and attack quite a few serves.

And I have adjusted to hitting the ball a bit lower on the ball to give me the accurate smashes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next